Sponsored
OP
OP

Anna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Escape
Just a cool twist to traditional tent camping. Air flow is much better up high like that, plus never any worries about rain & wet ground, or creepy-crawlies getting into your tent. Lighter-duty versions like mine can be had for about $800, so yeah, more than a quality ground tent of similar size, but worth the $$ for the advantages, for what we do (lot's of boondoggling if rough places, where you wouldn't really want to be on the ground...)
Yep yep yep to all that you said! There's a lot of reasons I opted for a RTT and really happy with my investment so far.
Sponsored

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have done my fair share of regular ground tent camping, nothing wrong with it. Many happy memories tent camping. I wanted to upgrade my camp experience though and didn't want a tow trailer so after about 6 months of researching landed with this setup. Plus the quick setup and take down makes it more likely I'll do at least 1 night a weekend camping if not both nights. As another poster mentioned they are great for boondocking. I haven't stayed in a reserved spot in 8+ years only do dispersed off the beaten path. While this takes me to some beautiful places not always great spots for tents. I also have a job that takes me all over Denver and often have 1 to 3 hours to kill between visits that I would just spend in my car documenting and making calls. Now I get to go to parks and since its so quick to pitch spend that time enjoying a nice view in my tent working, as I type this I'm sitting in my tent enjoying a mountain view before my next visit. I also do a decent amount of camping festivals which this tent will be amazing to have. At the end of the day it's all personal preference. For the first time in my life I'm making big girl money, recently got a promotion, and sold my car for a great price so I wanted to treat myself.
You go girl - enjoy life your way.

ccubedzx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Cactus Grey XLT/FX4/4KT/CP360
I have done my fair share of regular ground tent camping, nothing wrong with it. Many happy memories tent camping. I wanted to upgrade my camp experience though and didn't want a tow trailer so after about 6 months of researching landed with this setup. Plus the quick setup and take down makes it more likely I'll do at least 1 night a weekend camping if not both nights. As another poster mentioned they are great for boondocking. I haven't stayed in a reserved spot in 8+ years only do dispersed off the beaten path. While this takes me to some beautiful places not always great spots for tents. I also have a job that takes me all over Denver and often have 1 to 3 hours to kill between visits that I would just spend in my car documenting and making calls. Now I get to go to parks and since its so quick to pitch spend that time enjoying a nice view in my tent working, as I type this I'm sitting in my tent enjoying a mountain view before my next visit. I also do a decent amount of camping festivals which this tent will be amazing to have. At the end of the day it's all personal preference. For the first time in my life I'm making big girl money, recently got a promotion, and sold my car for a great price so I wanted to treat myself.
Thank you for describing in great detail. I’ll admit, I was scratching my head a bit as well, but totally get it now. I live in Michigan, not short of great places to visit. However, none of them are close enough to the area I live in, so this would not have the positive impact on me, as it does to you. By your description, I can only admire with jealousy that you can pull over at the nearby parks and be surrounded by mountain views during your workday. While I work from home, the only scenery I experience is people walking their dogs in our subdivision, and the occasional blue jay on the perch of the pear tree out front. Your setup sounds much more enjoyable. Very nice!

OP
OP

Anna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Escape
Thank you for describing in great detail. I’ll admit, I was scratching my head a bit as well, but totally get it now. I live in Michigan, not short of great places to visit. However, none of them are close enough to the area I live in, so this would not have the positive impact on me, as it does to you. By your description, I can only admire with jealousy that you can pull over at the nearby parks and be surrounded by mountain views during your workday. While I work from home, the only scenery I experience is people walking their dogs in our subdivision, and the occasional blue jay on the perch of the pear tree out front. Your setup sounds much more enjoyable. Very nice!
Location was a huge factor. If I was still living in Florida this wouldn't make sense for me at all. Living outside of Denver and being only 45 away from the start of some sweet spots makes it oh so worth it as I can frequently use it without making big travel plans. When I bought it I didn't even consider using it to work remotely in but in 2 days of ownership have made it into a office 2 times! May end up working in this more than sleeping haha. Overall couldn't be happier!

Sponsored

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
All good answers.

A (wo)man with a plan.

(y)

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When my boys were little (16 & 18 now!), they loved sleeping in the RTT even when just parked in the driveway. They would beg & beg to "pop the tent" so they could get in. On trips, wife & I would tuck them between us for the night. Lot's of good memories there. My youngest is now 6'2" 205, so those days are LONG gone! :ROFLMAO: Wifey & I still enjoy the occasional adventure. :love:

mcgarveyjb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT W/Lux and spray in
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh wow I didn't know about the warranty thats amazing! Will for sure be asking my friend to take me on her next Costco run so I can check out what they got near me.
You can go to the website yo see what Costco has, and any member friends can purchase for you

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go Gators? 🐊

Location was a huge factor. If I was still living in Florida this wouldn't make sense for me at all.

ccubedzx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Cactus Grey XLT/FX4/4KT/CP360
Location was a huge factor. If I was still living in Florida this wouldn't make sense for me at all. Living outside of Denver and being only 45 away from the start of some sweet spots makes it oh so worth it as I can frequently use it without making big travel plans. When I bought it I didn't even consider using it to work remotely in but in 2 days of ownership have made it into a office 2 times! May end up working in this more than sleeping haha. Overall couldn't be happier!
You are doing life the right way! I’ve got Colorado on my list of places to visit. Always wanted to catch a concert at Red Rocks, and visit Left Hand Brewery, as well as many other numerous places out there. This truck is opening so many doors to people outside of just being a mode of transportation. You are using it for that and then some. I’d love to see a photo journal of your setup within the beautiful vistas you visit. Posts like these are going to open the door to people like me who are just learning what possibilities are out there. Sure, towing a camper or pop up would be nice, but your setup allows visits and accommodations to places you couldn’t go with those. Enjoy your set-up, and keep us updated on your adventures!

Sponsored

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not trying to diss your set up. Looks very professional. But what is the reason for wanting to camp on top of your truck instead of finding a ground spot with a normal tent?

OP
OP

Anna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Escape
Go Gators? 🐊
Broke my dads heart but I'm a Florida State Seminole baby! Never seen more heartbreak in a mans eye then when I told my dad I didn't even apply to UF since they didn't have the degree I was going for.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok.

We visited Tallahassee when my son was a HS junior. It was 17 degrees the next morning.
Toooo cold for this Central FL family.

Gainesville it is.

🤣

Broke my dads heart but I'm a Florida State Seminole baby! Never seen more heartbreak in a mans eye then when I told my dad I didn't even apply to UF since they didn't have the degree I was going for.

st3v

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice! You will have a lot of fun with this.

Is it possible to have a rig like this but with a hard trifold tonneau cover?

OP
OP

Anna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Escape
When my boys were little (16 & 18 now!), they loved sleeping in the RTT even when just parked in the driveway. They would beg & beg to "pop the tent" so they could get in. On trips, wife & I would tuck them between us for the night. Lot's of good memories there. My youngest is now 6'2" 205, so those days are LONG gone! :ROFLMAO: Wifey & I still enjoy the occasional adventure. :love:
What fun memories thanks for sharing made me smile. Looking forward to seeing what memories come from my RTT adventures.
Sponsored