First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In short, it has been reported that an improperly polished crankshaft bearing journal can cause premature wear, which can in turn cause either the crank itself or the piston rod linked to it to fail catastrophically (break), causing large chunks of metal to penetrate the engine case at high velocity. This, in turn, causes oil and other fluids (potentially including gasoline, if a fuel line were to be severed by the flying metal parts) to flow out of the case. Add a source of iginition (any electrical spark) and you could have a fire.

This would NOT be a "minor" sound, or a "minor" loss of power. It is also NOT an easily missed "sign"... It's a clearly obvious "blown engine" that in a non-hybrid vehicle would leave you instantly stranded. The concern is that some people MIGHT ignore the sound of an engine self-destructing 3 feet ahead of them, and continue to drive their hybrid vehicle on electric power only. Ford is saying "Don't do that! Pull over immediately, stop the vehicle safely, and call for help." (All in legalese, of course.

As someone has stated, the engine failure has apparently occurred in 3 Mavericks (world-wide), with a grand total of 23 cases in ALL Ford vehicles using the 2.5L hybrid platform, and there have been no post-engine failure fires reported. But there is a POSSIBILITY of a fire, thus the recall (and all the lawyer-speak).

Note that I do NOT work for Ford, nor am I an expert mechanic. But I've seen plenty of engines blown up in drag racing, NASCAR, USRA, USAC, and even Formula 1 racing. It is definitely a "noticeable" event...
Apparently it’s not serious enough that Ford is asking everyone to wait until October to do the recall.
Sponsored

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Must be that "new math" people keep talking about... 🤪

You posted on July 1st, and according to my "old school" math, there is only one month between July 1st and August 1st... Of course, if they mean August 31st, that could be considered two months... But four months? To quote Al Borland (Tool Time), "I don't think so, Tim..."

And before you get mad, I'm just yanking your chain. Ford's "parts delays" are getting a bit frustrating...
This person might be like me and like to browse MTC after a couple of beers lol

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Apparently it’s not serious enough that Ford is asking everyone to wait until October to do the recall.
I did the math in another thread, but given the number of Mavericks produced, 3 instances is a tiny fraction of a percent of all the Maverick Hybrids ever shipped... Those odds are about the same as your odds of being t-boned by a left-handed neurologist. (Meaning extraordinarily low.) That said, IF it does happen to you, DON"T just keep driving with a fractured engine block spewing fluids everywhere...

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a 2023 hybrid delivered from Mexico in December...it has been recalled. It has 8000 miles and I live 50 miles away from work and family and its all mountain roads! From the reading I have done the front end is really enclosed and can trap fluids and vapors...so I took off that lower plastic/carboard shroud..,lots of places it could hold gas and oil.

1688493029115.jpeg
Not a smart move, I don't think your MY23 has the same issue as my MY22, but to each their own

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not me, not sure why this would make anyone worried, if you want a safe vehicle go back to the 70's
I dont trust Ford whereas I would trust Toyota to take care of a problem similar in a much sooner manner.

Sponsored

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a question regarding the latest recall that Ford will be issuing regarding the engine fire risk. How many owners are looking to get rid of their Maverick now, or how many waiting to get the recall taken care of? Honestly when I heard about that, I started looking.
Considering that the recalls will get fixed for free, I plan on keeping mine.

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think FORD is just "taking their chances" there won't be any resulting deaths/ctrital injuries!

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think FORD is just "taking their chances" there won't be any resulting deaths/ctrital injuries!
Ford using a little actuarial science and a little finger crossing. :cool:

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I dont trust Ford whereas I would trust Toyota to take care of a problem similar in a much sooner manner.
LOL, talk to the Tacoma owners who had to file a class action lawsuit against Toyota.

Sponsored

mb300

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nissan Rogue and 2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a 2003 Toyota Tacoma that the framed rusted away on my truck and they did nothing about it, also I had an 89 chevy 350 Silverado that general motors screwed up when they machined the block and the rods were knocking. I had 3 engines in this truck before they got it right. So this can happen to any manufacture I have been an mechanic for 35 years even a person who is not a mechanic can hear rods knocking in an engine. The fires that happened in the Mavericks were people that kept driving them in electric mode that is when they caught fire. This is only my opinion.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In short, it has been reported that an improperly polished crankshaft bearing journal can cause premature wear, which can in turn cause either the crank itself or the piston rod linked to it to fail catastrophically (break), causing large chunks of metal to penetrate the engine case at high velocity. This, in turn, causes oil and other fluids (potentially including gasoline, if a fuel line were to be severed by the flying metal parts) to flow out of the case. Add a source of iginition (any electrical spark) and you could have a fire.

This would NOT be a "minor" sound, or a "minor" loss of power. It is also NOT an easily missed "sign"... It's a clearly obvious "blown engine" that in a non-hybrid vehicle would leave you instantly stranded. The concern is that some people MIGHT ignore the sound of an engine self-destructing 3 feet ahead of them, and continue to drive their hybrid vehicle on electric power only. Ford is saying "Don't do that! Pull over immediately, stop the vehicle safely, and call for help." (All in legalese, of course.

As someone has stated, the engine failure has apparently occurred in 3 Mavericks (world-wide), with a grand total of 23 cases in ALL Ford vehicles using the 2.5L hybrid platform, and there have been no post-engine failure fires reported. But there is a POSSIBILITY of a fire, thus the recall (and all the lawyer-speak).

Note that I do NOT work for Ford, nor am I an expert mechanic. But I've seen plenty of engines blown up in drag racing, NASCAR, USRA, USAC, and even Formula 1 racing. It is definitely a "noticeable" event...
My question and supposition are that under extreme conditions - heavy full throttle acceleration, is it possible the main bearings spin - fail and that is that.... If so, then most of us driving gently will most likely not trigger a catastrophic failure. The 23 cases were with NEW vehicles. So there probably was little normal wear. I surmise the failure was due to high stress on the defective surfaces. I've been driving like a little old lady in hopes of no issues till the recall is fixed.

SuperA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022, Ford Maverick Hybird
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just reread recall 23S27/23V380 and something was unclear to me. Is the hybrid at more of a risk of engine failure than the Eco boost or is there just a risk of a fire if there is an engine failure?
Has anyone experienced this failure yet?

SuperA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022, Ford Maverick Hybird
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe the build problem related to the hybrid engine was corrected early 22. The recall includes vehicles build well after the build problem was idented and correct.

You provided a very complete summary of the problem. However, you did not answer my question. Are hybrids engines built since the spring of 22 more prone to failure than EcoBoost?
I think I have an early MY 22 as my VIN ends in 22689

Wasatch-Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone experienced this failure yet?
I have a 2022 XLT Hybrid with 36K miles and have had NO issues with this. I did have the first recall done on this where they put drain holes on the shield to keep gas and oil from pooling.
Sponsored