jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably because they also have a few other serious underhood fire recalls such as the 1.5L cracked fuel injectors which have something like twice the occurance rate (0.38/1000 units)
Yeah, there are several fire-related recalls from Ford on various models recently... Not a terribly good look, and the more total Ford vehicles catch fire, the more people hear about it, the worse it looks. No matter how rare - a few stories in the media can be damming. Most "fixes" just revolve around trying to get the oil and gas away from potential ignition sources should they escape (i.e. hybrids, 1.5L EB fuel injectors).
Sponsored

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I believe the build problem related to the hybrid engine was corrected early 22. The recall includes vehicles build well after the build problem was idented and correct.

You provided a very complete summary of the problem. However, you did not answer my question. Are hybrids engines built since the spring of 22 more prone to failure than EcoBoost?
The only one that can answer which engine is more reliable is the for engineering team that did the quality control testing for the engines. Every one else is speculating

midcoastme

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 PT Cruisers & Maverick Lariat Hybrid.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I guess what I'd like to know is what parts are those that will be available in October?
If the crankshaft wasn't machined properly, is that what will be replaced? They must have to remove it to check on bearing surface #4.

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I guess what I'd like to know is what parts are those that will be available in October?
If the crankshaft wasn't machined properly, is that what will be replaced? They must have to remove it to check on bearing surface #4.
I want to know too and what the fix will be

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

<< snip >>
It says on mine that the earliest for PARTS TO BE AVAILABLE from supplier will be August... that's 4 months from now.
Must be that "new math" people keep talking about... 🤪

You posted on July 1st, and according to my "old school" math, there is only one month between July 1st and August 1st... Of course, if they mean August 31st, that could be considered two months... But four months? To quote Al Borland (Tool Time), "I don't think so, Tim..."

And before you get mad, I'm just yanking your chain. Ford's "parts delays" are getting a bit frustrating...

Sponsored

catshreds

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You posted on July 1st, and according to my "old school" math, there is only one month between July 1st and August 1st... Of course, if they mean August 31st, that could be considered two months... But four months? To quote Al Borland (Tool Time), "I don't think so, Tim..."

And before you get mad, I'm just yanking your chain. Ford's "parts delays" are getting a bit frustrating...
"Ah's cyphering uncle Jed, Ah's cypherin'!" 🤣

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Probably meant October which is what my letter says. End of October is 4 months after the end of June...

Bburg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably meant October which is what my letter says. End of October is 4 months after the end of June...
I've had my FE Lariat Hybrid since last Octobr and it only has 2,500 miles. I have noticed it making some noices or clanks but never smelled aything or smoke whatsoever. I did get the recall later about 2 weeks ago. Should I worry? Has anyone else heard any noises on the Hybrid?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had my FE Lariat Hybrid since last Octobr and it only has 2,500 miles. I have noticed it making some noices or clanks but never smelled aything or smoke whatsoever. I did get the recall later about 2 weeks ago. Should I worry? Has anyone else heard any noises on the Hybrid?
To my recollection there have been no reports of any members here experiencing this catastrophic engine failure. And I think I've only seen one over on Reddit saying their hybrid required an engine replacement (no details on the severity that predicated it).

Jfrancis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2023 hybrid delivered from Mexico in December...it has been recalled. It has 8000 miles and I live 50 miles away from work and family and its all mountain roads! From the reading I have done the front end is really enclosed and can trap fluids and vapors...so I took off that lower plastic/carboard shroud..,lots of places it could hold gas and oil.

Ford Maverick Question on fire risk recall 1688493029115

Sponsored

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not even vaguely concerned about it. Got the notice in the mail the other day and haven't even opened it yet. I'll be due for an oil change in about 2 months; the Dealer can look at it then.
The dealer can look at it all they want, but Ford has stated there will not be a fix until the fourth quarter of this year. Which to me means we will not see a fix until well into 2024. Speedy they are not.

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2023 hybrid delivered from Mexico in December...it has been recalled. It has 8000 miles and I live 50 miles away from work and family and its all mountain roads! From the reading I have done the front end is really enclosed and can trap fluids and vapors...so I took off that lower plastic/carboard shroud..,lots of places it could hold gas and oil.

1688493029115.jpeg
Do you see all those openings in the under engine guard? Those are the same holes that dealers drilled during the first recall. Yours was done at the factory. Put the damn thing back on, my man! It helps protect the underside from road debris and such.

Jfrancis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you see all those openings in the under engine guard? Those are the same holes that dealers drilled during the first recall. Yours was done at the factory. Put the damn thing back on, my man! It helps protect the underside from road debris and such.
Thanks for the recommendation!

r8drskullz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Douglas J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe the build problem related to the hybrid engine was corrected early 22. The recall includes vehicles build well after the build problem was idented and correct.

You provided a very complete summary of the problem. However, you did not answer my question. Are hybrids engines built since the spring of 22 more prone to failure than EcoBoost?
I still confused as to what actually causes the problem in the first place that leads to the oil and gas issue

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I still confused as to what actually causes the problem in the first place that leads to the oil and gas issue
In short, it has been reported that an improperly polished crankshaft bearing journal can cause premature wear, which can in turn cause either the crank itself or the piston rod linked to it to fail catastrophically (break), causing large chunks of metal to penetrate the engine case at high velocity. This, in turn, causes oil and other fluids (potentially including gasoline, if a fuel line were to be severed by the flying metal parts) to flow out of the case. Add a source of iginition (any electrical spark) and you could have a fire.

This would NOT be a "minor" sound, or a "minor" loss of power. It is also NOT an easily missed "sign"... It's a clearly obvious "blown engine" that in a non-hybrid vehicle would leave you instantly stranded. The concern is that some people MIGHT ignore the sound of an engine self-destructing 3 feet ahead of them, and continue to drive their hybrid vehicle on electric power only. Ford is saying "Don't do that! Pull over immediately, stop the vehicle safely, and call for help." (All in legalese, of course.

As someone has stated, the engine failure has apparently occurred in 3 Mavericks (world-wide), with a grand total of 23 cases in ALL Ford vehicles using the 2.5L hybrid platform, and there have been no post-engine failure fires reported. But there is a POSSIBILITY of a fire, thus the recall (and all the lawyer-speak).

Note that I do NOT work for Ford, nor am I an expert mechanic. But I've seen plenty of engines blown up in drag racing, NASCAR, USRA, USAC, and even Formula 1 racing. It is definitely a "noticeable" event...
Sponsored