Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello, not sure but saw this video and with the high demand for Maverick's, I thought I needed to share this information. The FOB if it has auto start and/or push or keyless ignition, be warned. This video at the very least explains the issue with these devices.

Or just wrap the the fob in a piece of aluminum foil that you probably already have in a kitchen drawer. It will also protect credit cards and stop your cell phone (if you want a good night's sleep for instance).
Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you are really worried about it, all you need is a kill switch. Can't start something that has the switch flipped even if you have all the rest of what you need to steal it. And tracing a kill switch should NOT be easy or quick. The only bypass for a killswitch is based off the wiring strategy.

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
After this video I wonder, they can be compromised from 300 feet?
That depends.... The "standard" FOB has a range of ~75 feet, depending on the line of sight and what's between the FOB and the car. This is why you can see surveillance videos, where one of thief goes close to the house to relay the FOB's radio signal. The other sits in the car after it is unlocked, starts the car and off they go. This is how the key FOB relay works.

If you look at Ford's accessory site, they sell VSS with antenna and extended range FOBs, that can start the car from 1,000 feet away. So, yes, in that case it can be compromised from 300 feet.

I've been using the Faraday cage pouch and it is a pain, but makes me feel better about key FOB relay. On the other hand, @Montana is correct. Regardless what you have in place to protect against car thiefs, it'll be gone when someone really want to take it. You just make it harder, that's all...

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Maverick spends 99% of its life in a locked garage guarded by my two best friends, Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson. This is Vermont after all and lots of folks know my best buddies very well. If that ain't enough, my Rottweiler "Kenobi" is always hungry and loves to chew on bones, especially the live ones.. :ROFLMAO: (y)

dadd75

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.universityofheaven.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 2013 Buick Encore
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a couple of Faraday pouches for my keys and was really beginning to think them unnecessary. After this video I wonder, they can be compromised from 300 feet? I live in a rural area however, it's only about 80 feet from my house to the road in front. Possibly, Ford is on top of this to some degree: why would you need two fobs to program a third otherwise? I noticed that even if I start the truck and put the fob back in the pouch, the truck won't shift out of park. If I put the fob in the pouch after entering the truck before starting I'll get a display message telling me no key detected and will not start. I think this problem will become more prevalent in the near future. At least Ford seems be to more aware of it than Hyundai was.
Edit: I initially got the pouches to help prevent the strain on an already stressed battery. The added security is a bonus.
I also question my 'push button' retirement truck. I am keeping the spare fob in a faraday pouch and my everyday is in an old 'metal band aid' canister. I want to build up my battery and see if I stop getting 'deep sleep' modes with these two modes for the fobs. I also saw if you press the lock button on your key fob twice, then it turns off the communication between the fob and the truck. Don't know enough, but will test this diy over time and see.

UPDATE: Jan. 31st, 2024. I decided to check the metal 'band aid' container and it did not work, with key fob inside, I was able to grab the driver's side door handle and the door unlocked. Luckily, I have another faraday pouch :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With all the Hyundai and Kias around Central Ohio I don't have to worry about someone targeting my Maverick.

OP
OP
Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With all the Hyundai and Kias around Central Ohio I don't have to worry about someone targeting my Maverick.
Your kidding right? You can see what supply and demand has done to the price or price gouging that dealerships are adding to the price of the Maverick? At least I hope so.

Another post showing F150 as a hot vehicle to be stolen. That was then, or yesterday, I would think the Maverick will be next. Believe me I hope I'm wrong. Just see the popularity going through the roof right now and the only thing that may curb it is cost or Ford raising the price. Similar to higher interest rates to curb inflation. There will come a point the price may influence buyers to buy something different or a different manufacturer.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

By that logic, why lock your doors? People can pick locks or break in. Why put valuables in a safe, even in a deposit box in a bank? Those can be broken into, too.
Hardly the same. The difference with Ford pass is they don't even need physical access to your vehicle, they can do it from anywhere in the world via the internet.

Personally I'm not worried about it, Ford pass is disabled on my truck. I'm fully aware if someone wants my vehicle they will take it, so there is no reason to get too worried. Locking the doors is only there to keep somewhat honest people from digging through your stuff.

Sponsored

RobN

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hardly the same. The difference with Ford pass is they don't even need physical access to your vehicle, they can do it from anywhere in the world via the internet.
Because someone in Russia wants to unlock my car doors or start my engine...scary!

I see you ignored where I pointed out hacking Ford Pass doesn't let them drive it. I'm more worried about nefarious tow trucks than someone hacking Ford Pass. I'm not saying it can't happen - I'm saying there's almost no point to it, so why would they bother, exactly?

OnStar can do more and has been around longer...how big are those OnStar theft rings?

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your kidding right? You can see what supply and demand has done to the price or price gouging that dealerships are adding to the price of the Maverick? At least I hope so.

Another post showing F150 as a hot vehicle to be stolen. That was then, or yesterday, I would think the Maverick will be next. Believe me I hope I'm wrong. Just see the popularity going through the roof right now and the only thing that may curb it is cost or Ford raising the price. Similar to higher interest rates to curb inflation. There will come a point the price may influence buyers to buy something different or a different manufacturer.
No, I'm not - Kias and Hyundais get stolen by the dozens in Columbus, OH daily.

Plus like many others have pointed out there is nothing new to the practice of stealing vehicles with key fobs, and nothing Ford is doing is making the Maverick more susceptible to theft - if anything they are making criminals take additional measures with deactivating FordPass if they are really stealing it for a profit.

I think you should do whatever makes you feel safe with your vehicles because truly that is what it is all about at the end of the day.

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
If you think the Ford pass connection cannot be intercepted and hacked, I have news for you. ;)
In my case, there's serious doubt that someone can hack my FordPass connection. The protection implemented against that is pulling fuse# 11 for the TCM...

But, each of its own....

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In my case, there's serious doubt that someone can hack my FordPass connection. The protection implemented against that is pulling fuse# 11 for the TCM...

But, each of its own....
They don't need to intercept your personal connection, they just need to hack Ford's servers. I never said it was easy, just that it can be done. Nothing more. Vehicle manufactures are far from the best when it comes to security, tech security companies have been telling us this for decades.
Sponsored