Sponsored

Powertrain AWD/4WD Fault (Reduced Power)

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On my way home from work, I got an unwelcomed wrench icon in my gauge cluster and a notification prompting me to service the engine soon. A few seconds later, I get a notification on my FordPass App notifying me that the vehicle detected a powertain AWD/4WD fault, limited power. At first I thought it was just letting me know that my routine maintenance was due but I was way wrong. So I drove home nervously keeping my throttle to a minimum and when I pulled into the driveway, I turned everything off for a few seconds then restarted it and now the warning light is gone. I even drove it around the block to make sure that it would stay off and not come back on when I start driving. I even gave it a little bit more throttle and everything is fine. And as I got in the door, I went back into my FordPass App and there's no issues reported. In my vehicle file it says, "Vehicle Status No Alerts" with a green check icon. So it's nothing even happened, weird. However, since it popped up, I'm sure it'll pop up again. I was wondering if anyone else with the 2.0L Ecoboost AWD have gotten a powertrain fault and knows what it really means and if I should be worried.
Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven't had any issues with mine. Been rock solid so far, not even a squeak or rattle. Pray it continues that way from now on.. Hope I haven't jinxed myself :oops:

Aspidochelone

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Obd scanners can tell you if there are any pending codes. You could check if there are any pending. I'm assuming they are pending because they are still being evaluated by the system before they are determined to be true or false.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
how many miles?
one common cause of this fault is an overheated PTU. since you were not offroading it probably isn't the problem. that's a fault that can come and go.
that said, I'd be sure to tell service guy to check oil level and sensors

Gatekeep

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, vintage Vespa x2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When I first got my eco FX4, 22. I had the wrench light come on service immediately. It had less than 100 miles on it. It was the selector for the transmission. It was faulty. But still very discouraging. I waited 10 months for this vehicle. It is flawless now, and I love it.

Sponsored

E30andrew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I received the same wrench icon and the same warning after turning the truck on one morning in my driveway while getting ready to leave. This happened at about ~3 weeks and ~775m into ownership.

I looked around on the forum/subreddit, saw a few people mention it happening once and going away. I drove for ~15-20 mins, parked it, and when I came back, it was gone. I've not seen it again since. (currently at ~2.5months and ~2000m)

Ford Maverick Powertrain AWD/4WD Fault (Reduced Power) 1684160637783

capecruiser

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger lariat, 1931 Ford , 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On my way home from work, I got an unwelcomed wrench icon in my gauge cluster and a notification prompting me to service the engine soon. A few seconds later, I get a notification on my FordPass App notifying me that the vehicle detected a powertain AWD/4WD fault, limited power. At first I thought it was just letting me know that my routine maintenance was due but I was way wrong. So I drove home nervously keeping my throttle to a minimum and when I pulled into the driveway, I turned everything off for a few seconds then restarted it and now the warning light is gone. I even drove it around the block to make sure that it would stay off and not come back on when I start driving. I even gave it a little bit more throttle and everything is fine. And as I got in the door, I went back into my FordPass App and there's no issues reported. In my vehicle file it says, "Vehicle Status No Alerts" with a green check icon. So it's nothing even happened, weird. However, since it popped up, I'm sure it'll pop up again. I was wondering if anyone else with the 2.0L Ecoboost AWD have gotten a powertrain fault and knows what it really means and if I should be worried.
Yep,mine came on also around 100 miles. Hasnt been back since. Truck runs great at 1500 later. Bret

OP
OP
MightyMaverick

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
how many miles?
one common cause of this fault is an overheated PTU. since you were not offroading it probably isn't the problem. that's a fault that can come and go.
that said, I'd be sure to tell service guy to check oil level and sensors
I'm at 7,500 miles and I've had the truck for a year and two months. It's been very reliable up to this point. As I mentioned in my post, I turned it off, turned it back on, and the warning message disappeared. Which is great I guess but I'm paranoid it'll come back on.

OP
OP
MightyMaverick

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I received the same wrench icon and the same warning after turning the truck on one morning in my driveway while getting ready to leave. This happened at about ~3 weeks and ~775m into ownership.

I looked around on the forum/subreddit, saw a few people mention it happening once and going away. I drove for ~15-20 mins, parked it, and when I came back, it was gone. I've not seen it again since. (currently at ~2.5months and ~2000m)

1684160637783.png
That's exactly what happened to me. It came on and once I turned it off and back on, the message disappeared. Very strange. Now I'm paranoid it'll come back on and it'll be at the dealer for a long time.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm at 7,500 miles and I've had the truck for a year and two months. It's been very reliable up to this point. As I mentioned in my post, I turned it off, turned it back on, and the warning message disappeared. Which is great I guess but I'm paranoid it'll come back on.
thanks. your fault is different than the run of the mill CEL in that it calls out the AWD/4WD system specifically. Hope it stays away :)

Sponsored

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Page 162 says if two wrenches display, stop and turn off the engine. When restarting, if both wrenches display, get it look at asap.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This happened to me today. From what I gather, if it happens only once and you're good, then no worries. If it persists then it seems like the most common repair is a new rotary shift knob.

kes

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi there,
I just had this message pop up on my Lariat AWD EcoBoost Maverick with the 4K tow package. It's going to the garage on Thursday, but in my case I think it might be a real issue. I have been noticing a knocking sensation/feedback through the accelerator pedal and also if I place my left foot on the floor directly in front of the drivers seat I can feel a slight knocking there as well sometimes.

The knocking started about a year ago first when I was towing. We tow a 3000lb trailer. The Maverick still responded fine and by all accounts had no issues, but there was a definite knocking sensation felt through the accelerator pedal, which happened about an hour or so into the drive and then went away after a few mins.

Since then the knocking would crop up here and there regardless of towing. I just figured it was normal, but just today the same light has come on and that does seem to fit with what I am sensing. I will let this thread know what they say about it when the truck goes in for diagnosis.

cheers

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got this message once and had to get off the freeway STAT- Turned the engine off and re-started, it hasn't come back and its been 3 months so crossing fingers. Truck driving good these days -

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hi there,
I just had this message pop up on my Lariat AWD EcoBoost Maverick with the 4K tow package. It's going to the garage on Thursday, but in my case I think it might be a real issue. I have been noticing a knocking sensation/feedback through the accelerator pedal and also if I place my left foot on the floor directly in front of the drivers seat I can feel a slight knocking there as well sometimes.

The knocking started about a year ago first when I was towing. We tow a 3000lb trailer. The Maverick still responded fine and by all accounts had no issues, but there was a definite knocking sensation felt through the accelerator pedal, which happened about an hour or so into the drive and then went away after a few mins.

Since then the knocking would crop up here and there regardless of towing. I just figured it was normal, but just today the same light has come on and that does seem to fit with what I am sensing. I will let this thread know what they say about it when the truck goes in for diagnosis.

cheers
that's a bit different than mine, which had no symptoms other than the warning light, and it went away never (yet) to return.

hopefully your dealer can easily diagnose. I have heard of two repairs related to this error, besides the shift knob. I've heard of the Power Transfer Unit (center differential) or the driveshaft being replaced.
Sponsored