First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F-150 FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've got a Mav on order. Time will tell if it gets built.
I'm retiring soon and would love to put a small camper of some sort on the Mav.
I have an older Sun Lite cabover for my F-150 that I've used in the past but it's 7 feet long in the bed. I'm pretty handy so I was thinking of cutting this down to fit in the bed of the Maverick.
The weight distribution should be alright as most of the weight will be forward of the rear wheels and it's a very light weight unit to begin with. 900 lbs from the factory so once I shorten it up, I figure it should be around 750 to 800 lbs. Well within spec. The camper is 72 inches wide so I know I'll take a bit of a hit on mileage but I'm old. I don't drive much above 65 anyways. Being a pop up, the center of gravity is very low as well.
So is this workable on the hybrid and what would be the downside?
Sponsored

Last edited:

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick bed is also less wide side to side, 6 to 10 inches less ( guessing ) likely couldn’t be hacked front to back and then side to side to work.
Its very very limited. Here is a few more verys to underscore just how limited ( very very very …… )
It’s doable but either repurposed tent with legs or costly off-roading designs used for Jeep and Broncos.
Found one homemade version of size that someone made that works. Will be basing mine on his.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MesaMav

MesaMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F-150 FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick bed is also less wide side to side, 6 to 10 inches less ( guessing ) likely couldn’t be hacked front to back and then side to side to work.
Its very very limited. Here is a few more verys to underscore just how limited ( very very very …… )
It’s doable but either repurposed tent with legs or costly off-roading designs used for Jeep and Broncos.
Found one homemade version of size that someone made that works. Will be basing mine on his.
Yes, this fits in the bed between the wheel wells. First thing I checked.
This camper was originally designed for small trucks from the 80s and early 90s when small trucks were actually still small

BradGroux

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Website
msft.expert
Vehicle(s)
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, but nowhere near as good of a solution. It's literally a tent.
I posted that link as a response to the GoFastCamper link previously posted and discussed here.

The GoFastCamper unit is also a tent - a fancy tent, but a tent. Some people don't need a fancy tent and just want a tent that fits in their tentless bed. The link I posted is a much cheaper, alternative option. It is a tent. If someone wants "as good" a solution as the GFC, they will likely need to spend "as good" a price. There was concern about the price, thus the cheaper alternative offered.

All about what fits A) Budget and B) Preference.

In the spirit of forum friends and returning a thread to the topic, @MesaMav how's progress on your cutdown of the F-150 Sunlite camper?

BradGroux

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Website
msft.expert
Vehicle(s)
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At the price point of cabover popups and tents, why not just get a teardrop trailer?

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At the price point of cabover popups and tents, why not just get a teardrop trailer?
I never cease to be amazed about the (horrifically bad) value proposition of cabover and roof tents. Yet, they keep becoming more and more popular. For most I know with them, it's just an irrationally expensive social signaling mechanism (hey everybody, I want you to think that I'm outdoorsy), but I hope OP intends to actually use it.

We've camped in our Maverick three times since taking ownership in late May. Our trusty $100 6-person tent did the trick.

OP
OP
MesaMav

MesaMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F-150 FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the spirit of forum friends and returning a thread to the topic said:
@MesaMav[/USER] how's progress on your cutdown of the F-150 Sunlite camper?
It's actually made for the old Nissan hard bodies and the like. It wasn't designed for the f150 at all so it should slip right in the bed of the Maverick.
I haven't started on it yet. That's my first project when I retire in a few months. Shouldn't be tough. Just sheet tin, 1x2s and plywood.
My first delema is do I want to cut it down to 6 ft so it is on the tailgate or cut it down to 52 inches, perhaps 53 inches so I can close the tailgate.
Any thoughts on what size would be best from you guys?
Sponsored