lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was inspired by Eric Rupert who uses a Kamp Rite Tent Cot with his F150 instead of a (expensive) roof tent.

After some measuring it seemed the same double cot should just fit in the Maverick. And it did!

i have three 2x4’s in the bed (45.5” long) and the middle two feet of the cot rest on those. Then attach the straps to the tires.

I spend two days camping and so far it all works out well. I store all equipment under the 2x4’s. There is about 10” of room below the 2x4’s.There are plenty of bins that are 10” or less.

When folding up the tent it must be stored on the bottom of the Maverick bed otherwise you cannot close the tail gate. This is because the middle and top of the Maverick bed near the cabin have an extruded Ford logo that takes up about an inch making the tent not fit. But for me that is ok. I just store the folded up tent as the first item in the truck when packing up.

Such a fun truck!

Ford Maverick Truck tent 642E07A8-2366-4578-BF15-915B98267757
Sponsored

MChadsey1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick xlt 2.0 fwd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks good. Can you show a couple more photos . How much space does it occupy when disassembled ?

AdventureSetterland

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s an awesome idea! Want to do a massive road trip when I get mine and being able to just tear everything down and stow it would be great vs losing MPG from towing a teardrop or or having an RTT that messes with the aerodynamics. Thanks for the idea!

LMR778

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is fantastic! I've been looking at a RTT for awhile but the cost and lack of ability to remove it easily was holding back. I'm totally going this route now. My husband doesn't camp so the fact one person can set this up on their own is even better since my kids have proven useless when it comes to tent set up.

Which Kamp Rite tent model did you go with?

Sponsored

OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@LMR778

I got the “Kamp Rite 2 person double tent cot”.

Kamp-Rite 2 Person Folding Off The Ground Camping Sleeping Bed Double Tent Cot

You can also get a single version which would take up a lot less room and be even lighter. But I like the extra room of the double.

You can also go to the Kamp Rite website, but there I only saw the green color and I wanted to get gray to match the color of my Maverick. So I found that version on Amazon.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

@MChadsey1
Here’s a picture of how I loaded my truck. The big black bag at the bottom (with the bins on top) is the tent.

19143DE6-EE8F-42AB-812E-FAA1350CD27B.jpeg
Do you have any photos looking from the back of the truck when the tent is set up, so we can see the tent resting on the boards?

samesea2012

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
what a great set up you got going! I see the cot tent has 2 more legs in addition to the ones in the middle you describe in the og post. how do those sit? any stability issues?

OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@pa-outdoorsman i don’t, but I will try to remember to take one this weekend. It is very similar to the youtube video of the F150 though.

OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@samesea2012 the two outside legs rest, folded up, on the outside of the truck bed. But don’t do anything for stability in that position obviously.

You could put another 2x4 on the sides of the truck bed to have those legs provide support.

But I tried without first since it is simpler and with two people in the tent (combined about 275 lbs) we had no stability issues at all. Everything felt very sturdy.

Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

@pa-outdoorsman i don’t, but I will try to remember to take one this weekend. It is very similar to the youtube video of the F150 though.
That's awesome! Just watched the video. If you had a trifold tonneau cover do you think you could set up the tent with the cover folded up with the rear windshield of the truck?

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

@pa-outdoorsman

There is enough room between the tent and the truck cabin’s rear window to keep the trifold tonneau there.

That is exactly what I do.
Cool. I am so stealing your setup, if I ever get a truck!

bosun120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element
After some measuring it seemed the same double cot should just fit in the Maverick. And it did!

i have three 2x4’s in the bed (45.5” long) and the middle two feet of the cot rest on those. Then attach the straps to the tires.

642E07A8-2366-4578-BF15-915B98267757.jpeg
Hi @lumonix, just found this setup from a Google search. Looks great for a budget RTT!

I'm a bit confused at using 2x4's with length 45.5" for the "platform" the tent legs rest on.
The listed Maverick bed with is a little over 53", wouldn't that length be too narrow?
Are the 2x4" resting in bed slots, like in the image below?
How do you prevent the tent from sliding around or off the 2x4 "platform" pieces?

Ford Maverick Truck tent 2022-ford-maverick_100794610_m

Also, I see that your tent is shown with an additional fly attached. Is this included with the tent?
https://kamprite.com/shop/tents/tri-fold-series/kamp-rite-double-tent-cot/

Thank you for sharing this!

Last edited:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's a great value alternative to an RTT, with some nice customization benefits! I had an RTT on my F150, but I think I may go this route for the Mav.

Thanks for the post & ideas!
Sponsored