First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F-150 FX4
Trim
Undecided
I've got a Mav on order. Time will tell if it gets built.
I'm retiring soon and would love to put a small camper of some sort on the Mav.
I have an older Sun Lite cabover for my F-150 that I've used in the past but it's 7 feet long in the bed. I'm pretty handy so I was thinking of cutting this down to fit in the bed of the Maverick.
The weight distribution should be alright as most of the weight will be forward of the rear wheels and it's a very light weight unit to begin with. 900 lbs from the factory so once I shorten it up, I figure it should be around 750 to 800 lbs. Well within spec. The camper is 72 inches wide so I know I'll take a bit of a hit on mileage but I'm old. I don't drive much above 65 anyways. Being a pop up, the center of gravity is very low as well.
So is this workable on the hybrid and what would be the downside?

Last edited:

TedTX

XL
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Trim
XL
Maverick bed is also less wide side to side, 6 to 10 inches less ( guessing ) likely couldn’t be hacked front to back and then side to side to work.
Its very very limited. Here is a few more verys to underscore just how limited ( very very very …… )
It’s doable but either repurposed tent with legs or costly off-roading designs used for Jeep and Broncos.
Found one homemade version of size that someone made that works. Will be basing mine on his.

OP
OP
MesaMav

MesaMav

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F-150 FX4
Trim
Undecided
Maverick bed is also less wide side to side, 6 to 10 inches less ( guessing ) likely couldn’t be hacked front to back and then side to side to work.
Its very very limited. Here is a few more verys to underscore just how limited ( very very very …… )
It’s doable but either repurposed tent with legs or costly off-roading designs used for Jeep and Broncos.
Found one homemade version of size that someone made that works. Will be basing mine on his.
Yes, this fits in the bed between the wheel wells. First thing I checked.
This camper was originally designed for small trucks from the 80s and early 90s when small trucks were actually still small

BradGroux

XLT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
msft.expert
Vehicle(s)
V-Strom 1000XT
Trim
XLT