Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How much driving in Elec mode do you think a 1.1KW battery can do?
Thats my point. If it were bigger, I could do a lot more.
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The power in the battery isn't a totally free lunch. It at one point came from burning gas via the engine. So to have a bigger battery and use all of the power stored in it also means running the ICE more. I imagine finding that sweet spot was part of Ford's calculus when sizing the battery for the Escape. It's actually smaller than previous generations of their hybrid batteries.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thats my point. If it were bigger, I could do a lot more.
Then you need it to be a Plug-In, Hybrids work best in stop n go traffic to charge the battery, since the Maverick is based on the Escape, and the Escape has a PHEV, its only logical for the Maverick to have a PHEV version too. My prediction is 2024 MY for a PHEV Maverick.

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Then you need it to be a Plug-In, Hybrids work best in stop n go traffic to charge the battery, since the Maverick is based on the Escape, and the Escape has a PHEV, its only logical for the Maverick to have a PHEV version too. My prediction is 2024 MY for a PHEV Maverick.
That makes sense. Will wait to see what appears... I usually keep my vehicles forever and I do like my Hybrid Mav! May just keep it and wait to get a Lightning in a few years

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That makes sense. Will wait to see what appears... I usually keep my vehicles forever and I do like my Hybrid Mav! May just keep it and wait to get a Lightning in a few years
I'm predicting 2024 for the PHEV to arrive and at that time I'll be ordering one.

Sponsored

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You could always get the Escape parts and put them in the Maverick. Forscan and half your bed will be your friend.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It feels like the battery power is very much adjunct to to the gas engine, where I'd really like the opposite setup.
Energy from the ICE charges the battery, it will always be that way in a hybrid.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The power in the battery isn't a totally free lunch. It at one point came from burning gas via the engine. So to have a bigger battery and use all of the power stored in it also means running the ICE more. I imagine finding that sweet spot was part of Ford's calculus when sizing the battery for the Escape. It's actually smaller than previous generations of their hybrid batteries.
Yes this. Small, lightweight and adequate is the sweet spot. Ford chose the battery size for a reason, and it will work well for most of us.

If you happen to live on top of a hill, your use case would probably favor a larger battery.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As I understand it from Weber state videos and research on lithium-ion batteries etc the 1.1+/- battery was chosen as a replacement for the 1.5+/- battery by improving thermal management (among other things) to allow a higher safe operating internal temperature of the battery. One university study involved charging/discharging batteries at varying increasing rates of charge and discharge until a certain internal temperature was reached. For safety reasons they stopped tests about 15-20 degrees below the temperature where the crystal structure in the battery was predicted to start deteriorating (ie catch on fire). During those tests apparently the rate of charge/discharge kept increasing (the acceptance amperage was greater). So the 1.1 battery will function more efficiently when operated at a higher temperature than what the 1.5 battery was operated at. So the 1.1 was chosen because of the weight of the maverick and the design of the thermal management system. It is a balancing system all of which would have to be resized for a heavier Ranger pickup. I postulate that the increased thermal demands were at least one of the reasons the hybrid awd/4k towing were postponed (but I certainly don't know).

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You could always get the Escape parts and put them in the Maverick. Forscan and half your bed will be your friend.
What parts? Do you realize that the Hybrid Battery is 14.1 KW and the Hybrid battery is 1.1kw... Big difference

Sponsored

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I consider the battery and everything needed for the conversion a part that is needed. Didn't think it would be cheap or a small number of parts. Shouldn't have to guess much as the Escape has a functioning system.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have y'all driven the Mavericks hybrid?

Mine uses the ICE almost every time I accelerate. To go electric only I have to majorly creep along.

I don't see how they'd be able to convert Maverick to phev without some major modifications.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have y'all driven the Mavericks hybrid?

Mine uses the ICE almost every time I accelerate. To go electric only I have to majorly creep along.

I don't see how they'd be able to convert Maverick to phev without some major modifications.
The Hybrid motor has plenty of power to drive the Mav but it is limited by the small battery. A PHEV has a much bigger battery so it can drive the vehicle fine.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid