Driving in Low

dmccorkle33

First Name
David McCorkle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2022 Tesla Model Y Perf
I own a 2014 Chevy Volt and I drive in Low all the time instead of Drive. The reason is when in Low it drives in a Max Regen which results in the ability to drive with a Single Pedal. Do we know if this will possible to do in the Maverick Hybrid power train or do they have a Max Regen drive mode? Since the battery is much smaller than a Volt 15ish KWh vs 1.5. Worried it may also do damage to the battery/charging system.
Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From page 184 in the owners manual -

LOW (L)
This mode is for driving on steep slopes.
The transmission will hold low gear for
maximum torque driving uphill and
maximum engine braking driving downhill.
You can enter this mode at any vehicle
speed.
Note: Prolonged use of this mode could
lower fuel economy. With your vehicle in
drive (D), press the L button to enter this
mode.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't worry about damaging the battery or charging system. The computer will not overcharge the battery.
But if the battery is full, then you can't have full braking effect in the motor since there'd be nowhere to dump the current generated. So I suspect one pedal driving isn't practical in a non Plug-in as the battery could be full too much of the time resulting in inconsistent and unpredictable regen braking.

Just conjecture on my part.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't worry about damaging the battery or charging system. The computer will not overcharge the battery.
But if the battery is full, then you can't have full braking effect in the motor since there'd be nowhere to dump the current generated. So I suspect one pedal driving isn't practical in a non Plug-in as the battery could be full too much of the time resulting in inconsistent and unpredictable regen braking.

Just conjecture on my part.
This may sound silly, but I think excess regen braking energy gets sent to the starter generator motor to turn the planetary carrier (ICE crankshaft). The ICE stays "off" with no fuel and sparkies but the crankshaft is turned so it BRRRFFFTT turns the ICE into an air compressor lol. Engine braking. I'm guessing this will only happen on long downhill runs.

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/electric-ev-hybrids/how-to-use-hybrid-grade-assist.html#

Last edited:

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This may sound silly, but I think excess regen braking energy gets sent to the starter generator motor to turn the planetary carrier (ICE crankshaft). The ICE stays "off" but the crankshaft is turned so it BRRRFFFTT turns the ICE into an air compressor lol. Engine braking. I'm guessing this will only happen on long downhill runs.

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/electric-ev-hybrids/how-to-use-hybrid-grade-assist.html#
Yes, I do think I may have seen that in one of the eCVT videos. This would help save brake pads, but I don't think it's going to facilitate one pedal driving. It's going to be like engine braking an ICE manual transmission car. The difference being that MG1 can drastically reduce the gear ratio as if you were sequentially downshifting as you engine braked. For NVH reasons though, there's a limit to how fast you want the ICE "air pump" spinning.

But your point is valid; shifting braking load to the ICE once the battery is full can result in more consistent off throttle braking over a wider range of charge conditions.

I look forward to seeing how the different drive modes work and feel. Maybe one day 🙄

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This may sound silly, but I think excess regen braking energy gets sent to the starter generator motor to turn the planetary carrier (ICE crankshaft). The ICE stays "off" with no fuel and sparkies but the crankshaft is turned so it BRRRFFFTT turns the ICE into an air compressor lol. Engine braking. I'm guessing this will only happen on long downhill runs.

Aaarrrggghhh!!! Now we need to worry about the "No Engine Brake Signs"! 😱😂😂

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I sold my Volt to Carvana prior to getting my XLT hybrid which arrived 12/16. I really did not us L mode in Volt much at all because I used the paddle on the steering wheel that forced more regen braking also. I think because I ride motorcycles it reminded me of putting on the front brake. At 2mph the regen would stop. Our Prius has a Low mode too and it basically adds regen braking when you let off the gas.

Now that I have about 200 miles on my truck, I used "L" a couple of times yesterday. When you let off the gas there is a big difference in the regen braking and you actually feel it when the truck slows down quicker. I may use it on winding mountain roads going downhill to help slow going into a turn and use less brakes. Might even be handy when traffic is grinding along at 5mph

I really don't believe the Low regen braking in my Prius or the Maverick spins the ice engine making it a compressor. As the electric motors kick in and get up to higher rpm's I think things get louder than normal.

Play with it when you get your hybrid. You decide if you like it or not.

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
Yes, I do think I may have seen that in one of the eCVT videos. This would help save brake pads, but I don't think it's going to facilitate one pedal driving. It's going to be like engine braking an ICE manual transmission car. The difference being that MG1 can drastically reduce the gear ratio as if you were sequentially downshifting as you engine braked. For NVH reasons though, there's a limit to how fast you want the ICE "air pump" spinning.

But your point is valid; shifting braking load to the ICE once the battery is full can result in more consistent off throttle braking over a wider range of charge conditions.

I look forward to seeing how the different drive modes work and feel. Maybe one day 🙄
Just figured out this feature today (driving my maverick for about a month now). Seems pretty close to one pedal driving. not noticed engine noise at all, but using it in normal driving where I do want regen braking already. Note is that now I feel like I dont have to play with the brake to maximize regenerative braking. Just lift my foot and let the car go to max regen on the meter. so far, I feel a better driving experience and higher energy captured. Also noted gas mileage did improve using the feature. did you try out the feature?

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I sold my Volt to Carvana prior to getting my XLT hybrid which arrived 12/16. I really did not us L mode in Volt much at all because I used the paddle on the steering wheel that forced more regen braking also. I think because I ride motorcycles it reminded me of putting on the front brake. At 2mph the regen would stop. Our Prius has a Low mode too and it basically adds regen braking when you let off the gas.

Now that I have about 200 miles on my truck, I used "L" a couple of times yesterday. When you let off the gas there is a big difference in the regen braking and you actually feel it when the truck slows down quicker. I may use it on winding mountain roads going downhill to help slow going into a turn and use less brakes. Might even be handy when traffic is grinding along at 5mph

I really don't believe the Low regen braking in my Prius or the Maverick spins the ice engine making it a compressor. As the electric motors kick in and get up to higher rpm's I think things get louder than normal.

Play with it when you get your hybrid. You decide if you like it or not.
found the feature and have a positive feel for it. Is very similar to the true max regen on the wrangler 4xe. I like the one pedal driving (mostly) but most of all, getting all the regen without having to 'modulate' the brake to try and hit the sweet spot. just lift my foot and let the truck find it

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I own a 2014 Chevy Volt and I drive in Low all the time instead of Drive. The reason is when in Low it drives in a Max Regen which results in the ability to drive with a Single Pedal. Do we know if this will possible to do in the Maverick Hybrid power train or do they have a Max Regen drive mode? Since the battery is much smaller than a Volt 15ish KWh vs 1.5. Worried it may also do damage to the battery/charging system.
Just put it in ECO mode and it will do a higher amount of regeneration.

Sponsored

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried eco and it really didnt do anything IMO. When I engaged the 'LO' button, it instantly went to one pedal driving in most circumstances. Have not seen the ICE used as an engine brake so pretty sure all going to charge the battery. Much better driving experience and my mileage improved (as expected)

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I tried eco and it really didnt do anything IMO. When I engaged the 'LO' button, it instantly went to one pedal driving in most circumstances. Have not seen the ICE used as an engine brake so pretty sure all going to charge the battery. Much better driving experience and my mileage improved (as expected)
Went down a big big 7% grade this weekend and after driving freeway for quite a while was definitely fully charged and it used the engine to brake. Very loud and obvious engine braking.
Sponsored