Plug in Conversion?

Minimoto7

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Anybody with experience with hybrids know if a plug in conversion will eventually be possible for the Maverick?
Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anybody with experience with hybrids know if a plug in conversion will eventually be possible for the Maverick?
By the time someone piecemeals something like that together...there will probably be an actual plug-in version!

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Plug in to charge the 1 battery or go full out and make the truck fully electric?

OP
OP

Minimoto7

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Plug in to charge the 1 battery or go full out and make the truck fully electric?
The idea would be to be able to charge the existing Hybrid battery and be able to configure the truck to run on the battery only for a certain range. I’m new to hybrids, so I’m not entirely sure how big of a deal this is to do. I’m guessing a plug port and some sort of software, but again, not entirely sure of the complexity involved in something like this.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Plug in hybrid batteries are MUCH bigger.

EDIT: and also usually have a different chemistry; hybrid batteries cycle constantly, plugin batteries cycle fully much less often, and full EV cycle even fewer times over their life.

Last edited:

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I’m new to hybrids, so I’m not entirely sure how big of a deal this is to do.
It's huge.
- HVB is typically ~5x larger, so significant packaging issues.
- need to add a house-current charging system and socket
- need to add inverter capacity to support full-power EV from HVB only

EDIT: and also usually have a different chemistry;
Got a link? There are a range of Li-ion chemistries these days, but I've not seen anything on this. C-Max hybrid and plug-in used the same battery technology; I have no visibility to the Escape's HF45.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's huge.
- HVB is typically ~5x larger, so significant packaging issues.
- need to add a house-current charging system and socket
- need to add inverter capacity to support full-power EV from HVB only

Got a link? There are a range of Li-ion chemistries these days, but I've not seen anything on this. C-Max hybrid and plug-in used the same battery technology; I have no visibility to the Escape's HF45.
You're right I misspoke, the chemistry in terms li-ion is the same, but the energy density and other differences require different types of cells. From this article:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-differences-between-hybrid-and-ev-batteries/

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
On your own? Anything is possible with enough money and determination but realistically, no, that boat (DIY) sailed away well over a decade ago.

Besides an additional larger and expensive LiOn battery, you’d also need the charger (inside the vehicle not just the charger cord), a j1772 charge port, and most importantly a BMS (software/hardware/firmware battery management system) to handle it all. Then, there’s cooling (TMS)....... Oh and find enough spots to put all this stuff.

IOW, I’d wait for or trade in when the plug-in model finally comes (and it will).

OK having said all that, I can foresee a future biz opportunity to convert any hybrid to short range (<25 miles) PHEV’s. Just like keyless entry/push to start button kits are now a thing for older cars, I can see these refit kits becoming sought after as emissions and anti-ICE laws become more common (and the value of those vehicles drop like a stone). It would be more of a stand-alone solution that would work for most hybrids that operate under the same type of control laws (parallel vs serial, etc).

The ultimate question that should be asked first: How much would you pay for such a third party option? One that will void warranties.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
So much for my faith in C&D to get things right... these three batteries are as different as the vehicles that use them, and the article as fanciful as their knowledge of battery usage.

They claim a hybrid battery gets 100,000 cycles. Over 300,000 miles, that means it fully charges and fully discharges every 3 miles, despite the ICE running 2/3 of the time. Not possible.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea sure you could stick a bigger battery and charging system in the bed, but its the software side of things thats going to be the issue. There is no electric only mode on the Maverick, which means you will need someone who can hack/reprogram the ford system to add that feature.

Plus I don't actually know if the current hybrid drivetrain can actually push the vehicle over 45ish mph by itself. Does anyone know if the Maverick (or escape) non plug in electric drive systems kick in at higher speeds?

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... Plus I don't actually know if the current hybrid drivetrain can actually push the vehicle over 45ish mph by itself. Does anyone know if the Maverick (or escape) non plug in electric drive systems kick in at higher speeds?
There's no difference in drivetrain EV power, hybrid vs. plug-in Escape. Same motors and gearing, but a little more power from the engine to make up for the increased weight, and ~5x more HVB. The plug-in also gets a big increase in HVB current delivery through the inverter, enabling rated motor power without using ICE. You can EV to 85 mph with either, but it's a lot harder to get there in the hybrid, because it can't access full motor power without using series mode (ICE as generator).

Funny you pick on 45 mph; that's about the end of current-limits on torque. Up to that speed, you get 173 lb. ft. torque, through about a 3.5x gear reduction. It won't match an EcoBoost in 1st gear, but the hybrid will never shift.

Attachments

rmay635703

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru 360, Comutacar, Honda Insight, Dodge Ram
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You would need to compare the Escape PHEV BOM to the plain hybrid

occasionally everything just plugs together but you then have to deal with software and ecu hell

Would be interesting if someone did an Escape HEV/PHEV tear down side by side to see if Ford has everything ready to line up.

If Weber University or Munro would do a teardown like they have done of every plug in hybrid it could be very interesting

Could then proceed to get an escape Wreck to build your own PHEV Maverick, folks in the Prius world have done specialty open source hybrid motor controllers for years using all OEM parts, takes a lot of very intelligent people to reverse engineer everything though.

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd just like a bigger battery! I love doing all my local driving in electric only, but its a lot of effort to make sure I am in electric mode..... It feels like the battery power is very much adjunct to to the gas engine, where I'd really like the opposite setup.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The idea would be to be able to charge the existing Hybrid battery and be able to configure the truck to run on the battery only for a certain range. I’m new to hybrids, so I’m not entirely sure how big of a deal this is to do. I’m guessing a plug port and some sort of software, but again, not entirely sure of the complexity involved in something like this.
It's a 1.1 kW battery, a very small battery, and a true plug-in battery is about 14kw, a HUGE difference..

Plus Ford will be making a PHEV in the coming years (my prediction is 2024)

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'd just like a bigger battery! I love doing all my local driving in electric only, but its a lot of effort to make sure I am in electric mode..... It feels like the battery power is very much adjunct to to the gas engine, where I'd really like the opposite setup.
How much driving in Elec mode do you think a 1.1KW battery can do?
Sponsored