First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FYI, you get superior sound quality from a USB thumb drive loaded with music, compared to streaming from a phone. The reason is that the thumb drive utilizes the vehicles much larger digital audio converter (DAC). If sound quality is important to you, then use the USB drive.
has anyone actually seen any info about the onboard DAC in the maverick?
Sponsored

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But if your device is connected by USB, instead of Bluetooth, there is no analog path only digital. So wouldn't a phone/tablet connected by USB also get the better DAC quality on the Maverick?

hmmmmm

Can we stream from a phone/tablet over USB as if the device is a USB storage device?
No, because a phone connected via USB still uses the DAC of the phone.

sunismymed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 xl
Engine
Undecided
No, because a phone connected via USB still uses the DAC of the phone.
I'm not understanding. USB doesn't transmit analog signals, it is only digital data that is transmitted.

Do you mean that even when the phone is connected via USB, the phone is still wirelessly transmits analog audio?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not understanding. USB doesn't transmit analog signals, it is only digital data that is transmitted.

Do you mean that even when the phone is connected via USB, the phone is still wirelessly transmits analog audio?
More like the phone DAC is handling the MP3/whatever-format decoding and the output is tunneled as a digital audio source via the AA bridge.

sunismymed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 xl
Engine
Undecided
More like the phone DAC is handling the MP3/whatever-format decoding and the output is tunneled as a digital audio source via the AA bridge.
OK, that's not DAC which is Digital to Analog Conversion - it's mp3 decompression. My understanding is that the majority of the loss of audio quality is in the compression process. Not sure that one device would have a huge difference over another as to decompression. DAC's are reported to vary greatly, but who knows.

Though since the Maverick can read USB devices directly, and decode mp3 files directly, having the phone/tablet expand mp3 files (to WAV?) as as part of the process is not my first guess.

Which device is running the app playing the sound? Are you swiping the phone, or is it one these: steering wheel buttons, Maverick 8" touch screen or Maverick voice commands doing the playback? I'd think it was the second choice, which would imply the "app" is running on the Maverick.

There's got to be an explanation of how AndroidAuto does it. Bluetooth is something else.

Sponsored

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

When you use the phone connected to USB, it uses the DAC in the phone. When you connect a thumb drive to USB, it uses the DAC of the vehicle. Try it and see the difference for yourself.

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I pulled my USB from my '14 Focus and plugged it right into the Maverick with over 2,500 songs on it. Play it in shuffle or I can call up a specific song, artist or genre with voice commands. Easy Peasey.

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I pulled my USB from my '14 Focus and plugged it right into the Maverick with over 2,500 songs on it. Play it in shuffle or I can call up a specific song, artist or genre with voice commands. Easy Peasey.
Yes, I had Focus I could do the same thing. My 2013 Sonata does not have this ability. I miss it! You can also make phone calls WIHTOUT connecting your phone to the USB port, via Bluetooth.

sunismymed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 xl
Engine
Undecided
When you use the phone connected to USB, it uses the DAC in the phone. When you connect a thumb drive to USB, it uses the DAC of the vehicle. Try it and see the difference for yourself.
Did some more thinking about this, cause I don't have the Maverick yet so it's all theory. But here's what's very likely going on.

To sell phones, you try to make it sound as good as possible how people most commonly use it. So the phone is optimized to make it sound as good as possible on a micro amp with micro speakers of the phone. The most common use case for external sound will be sound buds, or small external speakers. There is likely dynamic range compression and EQ being used. This is even done for radio and why the same album (see my age?) sounds different on the radio versus your hi-fi stereo.

You're ears know the truth, my comments show that I was getting stuck on the terminology so sorry for that. Hopefully next Thurs is my schedule notice!

midcoastme

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 PT Cruisers & Maverick Lariat Hybrid.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So I've been using a micro usb drive to play music on my C-max. I've got it plugged into the usb jack inside the center console...out of sight...out of mind. If I want to do the same in the Maverick are there just 2 usb ports...one on the dash and one on the back of the center console...none inside the console? I'll plan to use the "C" port with my phone, but I'd like to leave the music drive plugged in all the time.

Sponsored

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I've been using a micro usb drive to play music on my C-max. I've got it plugged into the usb jack inside the center console...out of sight...out of mind. If I want to do the same in the Maverick are there just 2 usb ports...one on the dash and one on the back of the center console...none inside the console? I'll plan to use the "C" port with my phone, but I'd like to leave the music drive plugged in all the time.
Correct me if wrong about this but my understanding is the USB ports at rear of center console are primarily for charging or other power out purposes and not suitable to data transmission.

Either the A or C ports up front geared to handle data with no problem.

And no, none inside the console interior space.

If you need an additional port or ports up front, there are inexpensive 12v to USB adapters which fit snugly into the cigarette lighter opening, as well as slightly more bulky splitters and on-off switch activated hubs.

Also there are USB A to USB C and also USB C to USB A adapters which will function just fine. I happen to own nothing which plugs into USB C, so installed an A to C adapter to plug my thumb drive into, which frees up the A port up front for any other uses.

Edit: One more unrelated thing - if concerned about the continuance of output of the USB drive (be it music, audiobook ot whatever), it seems some folks are unaware that pressing the volume control knob will turn all audio off (same procedure for turning it back on) - the system will remember where you were as regards listening when turned off. The USB ports will power down on their own after vehicle is shut off.

Last edited:

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There is one USB port in the dash of the Maverick (this talks cheap to me.)

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
There is one USB port in the dash of the Maverick (this talks cheap to me.)
actually there are two ... one each Type A and Type C.

pat----

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Only the two USB ports near the infotainment system are for data, i.e., USB drive with music or phone connected for Android Auto or Apple Car Play. From what I've read it doesn't matter which port you use for the phone, and it works well with the USB-A port. I plan on keeping a thumb drive with music plugged in all of the time to the top USB-C port, leaving the USB-A port on the bottom for connecting my phone.

Also note that the best audio quality in a vehicle is achieved using a thumb drive connected to the USB port. The reason is that the USB drive will use the digital audio controller (DAC) of the vehicle, instead of the tiny DAC in your phone. Try both and you will hear the difference.