Sponsored

Oil change schedule / interval? Synthetic oil?

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice breakdown. As long as the oil used meets or exceeds the "ford standard" it should be fine, as far as overall performance. I know that for the hybrid it says I need to be using the WSS-M2C962-A1 which corresponds to https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Products/Details?cid=70&pid=474 (happens to fall into the GF-6 and API SP/SN+ categories. We have to remember that some of these specs have nothing to do with physical performance of the lubricant, but which types of seal materials or other components with which the oil may come into contact with. Just like ZDDP or sulfur phosphorus additives that help with pressure and wear, these additives can become aggressive towards specific materials in the right conditions (anyone that has had to rebuild a worm drive and found that the bronze gear looks like it was eaten by something, that was the extreme pressure additives eating the gear).

So yes, use whatever oil you want, just make sure that it meets the applicable standard for your vehicle.
I forgot to mention and will edit the post the engine oil suggestion I was using is for 2.0L ecoboost engines not the hybrid. I don't know what nuances need to be taken into consideration for those when considering engine oil besides what weight oil is recommended in the book.
Sponsored

73bluebronco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick, 1973 Bronco, 2017 Fiat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I forgot to mention and will edit the post the engine oil suggestion I was using is for 2.0L ecoboost engines not the hybrid. I don't know what nuances need to be taken into consideration for those when considering engine oil besides what weight oil is recommended in the book.
Sorry, wasn't trying to say anything bad about your breakdown, it really was a nice job. I just wanted folks to keep in mind that these standards deal with more than the 5W-30 or 0W-20 part of the oil too. I have been to gas stations that still have oils on the shelf that has an API SG rating on them sitting on the shelf and folks think it will still work like modern oil in their 2019 vehicle.

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone know the following
1. What is the recommended oil. Is it full synthetic?
2. What is the oil change interval?

I have not had a Ford for a few years. Do they have an oil life system or is it on a set km schedule?

Cheers

M
For me it is very simple the Ford Pass app tells me when i need to change the oil and then i bring it to the dealer about 1.5 miles from my house. My Escape had 300k miles engine ran great but the paint fell off. Gave it to my son and he put another 100k on it. He traded it cause his girlfriend was embarrassed by how it looked. I suggested he keep the SUV.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry, wasn't trying to say anything bad about your breakdown, it really was a nice job. I just wanted folks to keep in mind that these standards deal with more than the 5W-30 or 0W-20 part of the oil too. I have been to gas stations that still have oils on the shelf that has an API SG rating on them sitting on the shelf and folks think it will still work like modern oil in their 2019 vehicle.
Anyways I did some looking and the hybrid is indeed a direct injection so all that info is valid for the hybrid 2.5L engine. The only logical assumption I'd say is that it will take longer for the sludge issues in the valves to rear their ugly head since you won't be using the gas portion as often. The oil blowback that in turn decreases the turbo performance can be solved at any time with an aftermarket oil catch can. With that said the biggest immediate issue here for both is pre ignition issue which is a problem on all direct injection engines.

Explains it better than I ever could

And reading this
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maint...an-damage-your-direct-injection-turbo-engine/

The key takeaway is this statement.

"The specifications that owners of these engines might find in their manuals are SN Plus, SP, or GF6. SN Plus was the first interim solution to LSPI and an improvement over the SN standard. The detergents and additives in that specification are based on the earliest LSPI tests completed against a Ford EcoBoost engine. GF6, an improvement on SN Plus, is the latest and greatest specification from ILSAC when it comes to LSPI prevention. It includes all of the previous LSPI testing as well as a new chain wear test from Ford, better deposit requirements, and better fuel economy requirements. The GF6 specification was only released in the last month, so it may not be on the shelves yet, but Warholic expects that GF60-rated oils should be on the shelf sometime this summer. SP is the latest specification from API and mostly mirrors the GF6 specification.

Any of these three specifications should help to prevent LSPI, but SP and GF6 are the latest versions owners should look for when making a purchase to ensure that they are getting the best for their engine. According to Warholic, Valovline will spread the GF6 and SP specification to essentially its entire line. GF6 will be used for oils up to a 10W30 weight, as that is the maximum ILSAC grade, but API SP will be in use for their heavier oils. In short order, the rest of the industry is likely to follow the same path for oil formulation."

So realistically anything rated SN Plus which covers GF5 is what is really needed here and what should have been recommended in the owners manual. They are recommending Motorcraft oil as was seen in my other post that is not even SN Plus rated according to Motorcraft's website and MSDS sheets. So the book in this case is wrong and if you or anyone does use Motorcraft or any other brand check the Sx rating on it first to make sure it is SN Plus or higher. If it happens to also be GF6 even better.

Until the rest of the industry catches up if they haven't already Super Tech is already selling oil to the new GF6 / SP standards just need to check the bottle(s) you buy regardless of brand in the store to make sure.

Last edited:

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For me it is very simple the Ford Pass app tells me when i need to change the oil and then i bring it to the dealer about 1.5 miles from my house. My Escape had 300k miles engine ran great but the paint fell off. Gave it to my son and he put another 100k on it. He traded it cause his girlfriend was embarrassed by how it looked. I suggested he keep the SUV.
Also besides using the app, setting a scheduling alarm it in cluster works as a reminder as long as you know how miles you want to go between changes. It all depends how engaged you want to be in the maintenance process. Some people are more fastidious than others.

On your Escape what engine was in it?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also besides using the app, setting a scheduling alarm it in cluster works as a reminder as long as you know how miles you want to go between changes. It all depends how engaged you want to be in the maintenance process. Some people are more fastidious than others.

On your Escape what engine was in it?
2003 Escape Limited 3.0 V6. I also currently have a 2018 Escape SE-4WD with a 1.5 ECOBOOST and a 2021 Escape Titanium Hybrid AWD. I love the new one and can’t wait for my Maverick LAriat Hybrid. It is the last vehicle I will ever buy.

Kenny

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 Ecoboost with AWD, Tow Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I won't be running synthetic in this thing. It's not a race car.
Not a race car but it does have a turbo, which pushes the small engine to its limits. Over the past 12 years, I switched all my vehicles (even motorcycles) to Mobil 1 and use the extended performance with 20,000 mile guarantee. You can go way longer between oil changes with synthetic, which outweighs the cost savings on Dino Oil. The only advantage of using the latter is if you have a vehicle that is losing lots of oil, or you're selling it soon and don't care.

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You need to run in accordance with the owners manual but it is your truck and your warranty. Good luck and enjoy your new truck.

TRUCKHEF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Full synthetic if you do it yourself is only a few bucks more per oil change than conventional oil so why not give your expensive vehicle the best oil?

Last edited:

Kenny

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This has been and will continue to be beat to death. My plan is to follow the manual and use a high grade full synthetic oil (I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 20k oil but would consider other brands) of the recommended viscosity every 10,000 miles, changing the filter every time. There are those who will continue changing their oil every 3,000 miles no matter what, just like they've been doing since 1958. Good for them. I bet my truck lasts just as long. I used to consider the life of the engine to be the life of the vehicle. Most vehicles now, the engine will outlast the electronics and all the crappy plastic junk that will break over time, e.g. glovebox falling off, windows not rolling up, mysterious electrical issues. And now we have a shortage of chips that can and do fail.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
AA
This has been and will continue to be beat to death. My plan is to follow the manual and use a high grade full synthetic oil (I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 20k oil but would consider other brands) of the recommended viscosity every 10,000 miles, changing the filter every time. There are those who will continue changing their oil every 3,000 miles no matter what, just like they've been doing since 1958. Good for them. I bet my truck lasts just as long. I used to consider the life of the engine to be the life of the vehicle. Most vehicles now, the engine will outlast the electronics and all the crappy plastic junk that will break over time, e.g. glovebox falling off, windows not rolling up, mysterious electrical issues. And now we have a shortage of chips that can and do fail.
The eb with the turbo and 10k oil changes concerns me. Maybe I'll play it by visual inspection of the oil and the oil meter on the dash. I haven't had a turbo since 1992 thru 1994. It's really an economic and environmental waste to change the oil if it's really not increasing the longevity of the engine/vehicle.

Kenny

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe I'll play it by visual inspection of the oil and the oil meter on the dash.
I agree with that. If the dash minder tells me to change my oil at 8,000 miles I'll do that. If the oil looks black, I would change it at 3000. My first change was around 4-5k. Even though Ford didn't recommend it, I still believe in changing it after a breakin period. That is much longer when you're running synthetic.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with that. If the dash minder tells me to change my oil at 8,000 miles I'll do that. If the oil looks black, I would change it at 3000. My first change was around 4-5k. Even though Ford didn't recommend it, I still believe in changing it after a breakin period. That is much longer when you're running synthetic.
DI & turbos typically cause some soot build-up & fuel dilution, both of which have their issues with wear and piston deposits. I know GM recently went down to a max of 7,500 miles or 6 months on their OLM dash light algorithm for boosted DI engines. Not sure if Ford has the same recognition of issues.

In any event, remember the dashboard OLM oil change light does not take into account dusty conditions, it only keeps track of temperature cycles and extremes, high-RPM stress, and the software algorithms assume a fuel dilution amount. No in-situ direct oil quality sensing like some German engines have, and no "oil pressure vs. engine temperature" oil viscosity estimation like some other engines have.

Other than dusty or extra-fuel-dilution conditions, the OLM does a nice job of predicting oil chemical breakdown.
Sponsored