Sponsored

First Oil Change Mileage and Oil Type (Blend or Synthetic)?

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Iam a old school guy I grew up in a repair shop, and spent the rest of my life in a dealership and I listen to about 90% of the mechanic's out there and have watched countless video's on the subject, they send the oil out and have it tested. First oil change should be at 3k, break in oil always has metal in it. Then at 5k to 7.5k or once a year or less if your low mileage driver especially with a turbo vehicle. you don't have a turbo BUT I would still follow the same guidelines if your going to keep your vehicle past the warranty. My FX4 had a oil change at 3k and 8k also rotated tires at 8k, I will change the oil every 5k and rotate the tires every other oil change, at 30k I will change the transmission and diff fluids.
I have never kept a vehicle for more than 3/4 years BUT am retired now and cant afford a new vehicle as offend now so am taking care of this one.
Sponsored

Vettereddie

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iam a old school guy I grew up in a repair shop, and spent the rest of my life in a dealership and I listen to about 90% of the mechanic's out there and have watched countless video's on the subject, they send the oil out and have it tested. First oil change should be at 3k, break in oil always has metal in it. Then at 5k to 7.5k or once a year or less if your low mileage driver especially with a turbo vehicle. you don't have a turbo BUT I would still follow the same guidelines if your going to keep your vehicle past the warranty. My FX4 had a oil change at 3k and 8k also rotated tires at 8k, I will change the oil every 5k and rotate the tires every other oil change, at 30k I will change the transmission and diff fluids.
I have never kept a vehicle for more than 3/4 years BUT am retired now and cant afford a new vehicle as offend now so am taking care of this one.
I try to be data driven in my decisions, best I could find is this post with Blackstone oil analysis on a first change at 1,200 mi.

Blackstone Oil Analysis on first Hybrid Oil Change - 1,200mi

Analysis confirms that even in the newer hybrid engine there's higher metal content from initial break-in, along with silicon from assembly lube and sealants. I'm still trying to find good info on their effect on the engine, IMO it would really be determined by particle size and ability of the filter to trap it and keep from circulating through the engine.

I went 7,500 for my initial but certainly doesn't hurt to do the first change earlier.

AlsMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat FX4 w/4k Tow Build Date 12/5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I try to be data driven in my decisions, best I could find is this post with Blackstone oil analysis on a first change at 1,200 mi.

Analysis confirms that even in the newer hybrid engine there's higher metal content from initial break-in, along with silicon from assembly lube and sealants. I'm still trying to find good info on their effect on the engine, IMO it would really be determined by particle size and ability of the filter to trap it and keep from circulating through the engine.

I went 7,500 for my initial but certainly doesn't hurt to do the first change earlier.
Exactly. People see metal in the oil from break in and automatically assume that it is recirculating and causing further engine damage. I'd like to see that data as well.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
5,000. Full synthetic.

Mainly because it takes me eight to ten months to hit 5,000.

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Check out you tube if you have the time, loads of info on oil, filters, and analysis. theres also a few Maverick owners that had there oil tested. I don't think you could go wrong at every 7500 with a hybrid engine, that's what my dealer recommended in my FX4 am being extra careful at 5000 and don't drive much. Just don't believe what the manufacture says IF your in for the long haul with the vehicle, they just want to sell cars/trucks and aren't concerned much after your warranty expires.

Vettereddie

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check out you tube if you have the time, loads of info on oil, filters, and analysis. theres also a few Maverick owners that had there oil tested. I don't think you could go wrong at every 7500 with a hybrid engine, that's what my dealer recommended in my FX4 am being extra careful at 5000 and don't drive much. Just don't believe what the manufacture says IF your in for the long haul with the vehicle, they just want to sell cars/trucks and aren't concerned much after your warranty expires.
Biggest issue I have with YouTube is it can be hard to sort good info from the bad be it misinfo, opinions not applicable to a modern hybrid, and now staged ridiculousness from influencers doing it for views.

Would be nice Blackstone or some other 3rd party had a database available for anonymized results based on year/make/model, mileage and interval.
Sponsored