Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Exactly this.

I've also been told the electrons come out of the negative terminal and return to the positive terminal during discharge and go into the negative terminal while charging, if you picture it as water moving through a pipe. But I don't know if that's the greatest analogy.
It doesn't matter which post you remove first, electrons don't flow thru an incomplete circuit. The Maverick battery sits in a plastic box , so there isn't much for the wrench to contact and spark against.
Touch pos to neg, or neg to pos and sparks will fly.
Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It doesn't matter which post you remove first, electrons don't flow thru an incomplete circuit. The Maverick battery sits in a plastic box , so there isn't much for the wrench to contact and spark against.
Touch pos to neg, or neg to pos and sparks will fly.
If you disconnect negative first and touch anything other than something connected to pos sparks will not fly then when disconnecting pos as you will not be able to complete a circuit to negative post.

OP
OP
bobhardy3

bobhardy3

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Prius, 2015 Avalon, 2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Important update: After reading a reading a post regarding a relay, I called Roadmaster Tech support. Here is what I learned:

-a relay (part# 88400) was supposed to be installed in the brake pedal area to a purple/white wire. It's purpose was to prevent the power from overrunning the diodes creating 24v in the lights! (I don't have the relay, just diodes at the taillights). The issue regarding the relay is there are two purple/white wires in the brake pedal area? One is the correct wire and the other is incorrect. The tech said to cut a wire and if the brake lights quit working, you have the right wire!

-to bypass all of this hassle, you can install led strips (part #157) on the bumper and wire directly to them vs. the vehicles lights, similar to wiring in a plug for magnetic mounted lights! Running a wire from the RV to the back and not wiring into the truck alleviates any chance that the wiring interrupts the Maverick's sensitive electronics? I wired an extra plug in for my bike carrier to accomplish this. I'll remove the diodes and disconnect my wire from my RV to the tail lights.

As the Maverick's brake system will still illuminate it's lights when our aux brake system presses the pedal, the caution is the battery will run down unless you have a charge line installed. Also, our brakes rely on being electronically driven = more voltage draw.

I am not convinced this is the solution, but hey, I'll give it a try. Figured others might be interested to find out what I discovered talking to the tech guys at RM. I installed my system myself and there was no mention of a relay in the instructions. Go figure! Good info to know!

OP
OP
bobhardy3

bobhardy3

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey there Bob,
I was talking to Tim at RM support. 800-669-9690 ext. 129
Cool! I just got off the phone with him. Great guy to chat with! Good luck and hope it fixes your issue. It can't be the issue on mine as I had no relay! Goofy.

Sponsored

KathyG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe mine is resolved. Road Master worked with the company that installed my base plate. They found that the monitoring device needed to be wired differently because power was bleeding back from the device and confusing the computer. I’m scheduled to take another camping trip next weekend and will be towing. I’ll let everyone know the results from the trip.
Kyle,

What monitoring device?
Do you have a Roadmaster baseplate and which aux. brake system are you using.

Thank you for the information. Keep us posted about how it works.

Regards,
Kathy

kylec

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Kyle,

What monitoring device?
Do you have a Roadmaster baseplate and which aux. brake system are you using.

Thank you for the information. Keep us posted about how it works.

Regards,
Kathy
Hi Kathy - I have a Road Master base plate, Nighthawk Tow Bar and the Invisabrake system. It comes with a monitoring device that connects wirelessly in the RV that shows when the Invisabrake applies the brakes in the Maverick.

I will let everyone know how the changes work out.

Twinboat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the Demco Stay in Play system along with the wireless Coach Link wireless brake monitor.
It supposed to tap into the brake light switch but I just stuffed the transmitter in behind the 3rd brake light and connected it to the wires in there. Works great.

If your looking for a brake system, don't buy the Demco. It's not progressive, as advertised, and it's to powerfully for electric power brakes with no adjustments.

I was working with Demco but not getting any where. Now I'm trying a few things on my own.

KathyG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi Kathy - I have a Road Master base plate, Nighthawk Tow Bar and the Invisabrake system. It comes with a monitoring device that connects wirelessly in the RV that shows when the Invisabrake applies the brakes in the Maverick.

I will let everyone know how the changes work out.
Thank you Kyle!
BTW - did you install the brake light relay in your Mav?
Sounds like that might be a problem also (see Bob Hardy's comments today..)
(y) 😺 Kathy

Sponsored
OP
OP
bobhardy3

bobhardy3

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, that is some good info. I have a Brakebuddy2. I had one incident which I believe the BB caused the brakes to drag. Fortunately I caught it early with no damage. I have 3 or 5 levels to choose for response. I believe my incident occured because I didn't run the test feature after an install (portable unit). It ran perfectly after I started running the test mode.

kylec

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you Kyle!
BTW - did you install the brake light relay in your Mav?
Sounds like that might be a problem also (see Bob Hardy's comments today..)
(y) 😺 Kathy
That was something that they had to replace also. I towed the Maverick back home from the shop and everything worked like a champ! So we will see…

kylec

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the Demco Stay in Play system along with the wireless Coach Link wireless brake monitor.
It supposed to tap into the brake light switch but I just stuffed the transmitter in behind the 3rd brake light and connected it to the wires in there. Works great.

If your looking for a brake system, don't buy the Demco. It's not progressive, as advertised, and it's to powerfully for electric power brakes with no adjustments.

I was working with Demco but not getting any where. Now I'm trying a few things on my own.
Oh wow! Good luck with that one, I hope you find a good solution.

Twinboat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm now on the road towing my Maverick Hybrid.
Twice, I’ve gotten it stuck in Tow Mode and had to disconnect the battery.

Any word on a fix ?

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm now on the road towing my Maverick Hybrid.
Twice, I’ve gotten it stuck in Tow Mode and had to disconnect the battery.

Any word on a fix ?
Are you an XLT? No issues for me with a Lariat. I think the push button start makes it easier to follow the EXACT instructions. Every problem I have seen seems to come from an XLT owner. I made and use a card like this to make sure I remember to do all the steps properly.

Ford Maverick Neutral tow mode - HELP! tow card - no brake buddy
Sponsored