First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Mazda B2200
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A 1/4" steel cable (for example) has a working load limit of 1400 lbs, and that's at a 5x Safety Factor. The weak point in the system is most likely the mounting points or the cable crimp. Cable can only be loaded in tension. When you rigid mount like this remember the saying "Force follows stiffness". You will be transferring compressive loading through your rigid mounting scheme to the truck bed mounts that were not designed to take such loading. Since steel cable is WAY stronger than aluminum angle in tension, and since you are using original mounting points, this could probably cause damage and have no benefits. Especially when you take in secondary loading modes like mentioned above when driving. Just because they are sold on Amazon doesn't mean you need them. Remember, someone became a millionaire selling "Pet Rocks".
Sponsored

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the information. It made me curious enough to look closer at the owner's manual and here are the pages with the relevant information that I could find.

Page 82. This has the 500-pound load rating you mentioned for the tailgate load. But I noticed it is rated using the upper (middle position) commonly used for plywood carrying which More w/Les was wondering about these pin load ratings.

Nowhere did I find a rating at the lower standard cable position, and I really did look hard for that. Would it be rated less because the cable angle is sharper than at the middle position or could it also be 500 pounds. I'm not sure but I would think the cable would see more force give the same weight on the tailgate. I think Ford probably has a safety margin in these numbers that are listed.

tailgate upper.jpg

Page 260. Interesting, also is that the tiedowns going across the tailgate should be used with tiedowns in the bed because it could detach the tailgate. Also, there is a load rating between the tailgate tiedowns of 400 pounds

tailgate side loads.jpg

Page 259. This last screen print has the ratings of the tiedowns between bed points A and B. I think there is an error in the last note as I think it means the same as the last note on page 260.

anchor point loads.jpg
Thanks for the input.

I mistakenly referred to the upper and lower points in previous postings, according to the OM, they should have been referred to as the upper {tailgate striker/extended load} and middle {normal bed level} points. {OM Page 82}
Note: Attach both cables when using the tailgate in the middle position.
Note: Attach the safety bracket when using the tailgate in the middle position.
When hauling cargo using the tailgate middle position, make sure the load is evenly distributed and supported using the support locations in the pickup bed. See Locating the Pickup Bed Slots (page 260).

You got me interested, so paid a visit to the online OM site, information presentation somewhat confusing, lots of WARNINGS but murky details. (https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_07_2021.pdf).

TAILGATE ANCHOR POINTS {aka: 'Bottle Cap Removers' -OM Page 260}
The tailgate anchor points are located at each side of the tailgate.
Max loading 400 pounds, side to side only! "Note: Do not secure cargo from a pickup bed anchor point to a tailgate anchor point. This could cause the tailgate to detach." That doesn't sound good!

Understood OM to say the middle {normal bed level} cable connection points allow a 500 pound load, {OM Page 82} "Note: The maximum load capacity for the middle position is 500 lb (226 kg)ā€,
Murky Detail #1 - Unable find mention of a load rating for the upper {tailgate striker/extended load} cabe connection points.

As ā€˜BILLNOROVILLEā€™ mentioned, the cable angle for each contact point will affect the load it can safely carry. A steeper angle will allow smaller sized hardware to carry a greater load. This could explain the size/composition difference between the standard middle and upper tailgate striker mounts. Be that as it may, I would feel more comfortable using the upper mounts if the OM provided a load rating, and more details about how/where the load should be connected on this point.

Only specific reference to the truck bed tie down points I could find was on OM Page 258, "LOCATING THE PICKUP BED ANCHOR POINTS - Pickup Bed Anchor Points
The pickup bed anchor points are in each corner of the pickup bed.ā€

Murky Detail #2 - Could not find a specific mention of the load rating for these points.

Murky Detail #3 - Think the 'A' box may be referring to the mounting points for the optional {OM Page 259} "Adjustable Bed Rail (If Equipped) - Sliding cleat tie-downs are on each side of the pickup bedā€.

Not sure about box 'B', it may also apply to this option. This makes sense as the rail is mounted on the bed sidewalls, which arenā€™t as heavily braced to stand a horizontal load stress. A diagonal, ā€˜Bā€™ type pull would impose a more linear load, allowing for the larger rating.

When I finish this posting, will remove both cable mounts to see if my theories hold up. Will post my findings when completed.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, thought I'd seen that in the OM, but several posters were quoting the 400 number, and hadn't taken the time to revisit the OM to check. Guess it's better to be quoting under than over if you are not sure.

Don't remember seeing a load rating for the upper cable points, so still looking for that number.
To be honest, I got that rating from watching probably 30 or more YouTube videos reviewing the truck. So, not a primary source.

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Loads On Tailgate Cable Mounting Locations
Removed the upper {tailgate striker/extended load} and middle {normal bed level} cable mounting bolts. Both have captive washers, and markings on the head (see photos). Markings could be load info and/or Ford ID numbers.

Donā€™t have torque setting for replacement, so use caution when tightening, would not like to think about trying to replace the body mounted threaded nuts. That would be a real ā€˜OH Sā€¦.Tā€™ moment!

The permanently attached tailgate end of the cable is 8mm/T45 torx bit, shoulder bolt.

Upper: 10mm diameter/T40 torx bit, long black latch bolt (looks like an anodized finish).
Latch portion of the bolt shank has a plastic sleeve covering the bolt shank between the captive washer and the bolt head, this is probably to keep the bolt and latch from premature wear damage. The threaded nut in the body panel floats, so care must be taken when replacing the bolt as itā€™s position has to be adjusted in order for the tailgate latch to operate properly. There are markings on the head (see photo)
Ford Maverick My real truck can haul my motorcycles w/ help of custom metal tailgate support and level struts IMG_0471

Ford Maverick My real truck can haul my motorcycles w/ help of custom metal tailgate support and level struts IMG_0475

Ford Maverick My real truck can haul my motorcycles w/ help of custom metal tailgate support and level struts IMG_0476

Middle: 10mm diameter/T50 torx bit, shoulder bolt with a grey finish (may be galvanized). Much shorter overall than the upper bolt, threaded portion is much shorter, there are markings on the head (see photo). Internal nut appears to be fixed.
Ford Maverick My real truck can haul my motorcycles w/ help of custom metal tailgate support and level struts IMG_0472

Ford Maverick My real truck can haul my motorcycles w/ help of custom metal tailgate support and level struts IMG_0474

Ford Maverick My real truck can haul my motorcycles w/ help of custom metal tailgate support and level struts IMG_0481

After seeing/feeling the bolts, and how they are mounted, got the impression each could handle half of the 500 pound tailgate load rating. Even when in the extended position, to get the tailgate level with the bed, believe they will meet my needs, but don't know how much, if any, the 3.8" extension will alter the load rating. Do think having some device to keep the upper cable face next to the body end of the bolt would be a wise idea. Donā€™t like the thought of the load being placed on the outer end of the tailgate striker bolt. Fully loaded, that kind of leverage could cause damage, especially on rough roads.

Hope this is helpful. . . . . . hpdl

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Think I found the reason for the drooping tailgate. Ford wanted to advertise a loading height of less than 30". See the attached 'FlexBed' sheet. This makes the rear edge of tailgate is about 1.25 lower than the bed. Now 'if only' they would offer (at a reasonable price) optional cables about .5 inches shorter as an accessory, for those who care more about having the bed and tailgate level than a 30" load height.
Ford Maverick My real truck can haul my motorcycles w/ help of custom metal tailgate support and level struts 2022 FLEXBED-Graphic Maverick

As a side note, does anyone know where can I get additional DIY Hooks and Tie Downs for the Bolt-in-C-Channel? Have C-Channel option on my truck, believe it came as part of the Lariat Lux package, and need to see what is offered so I can get a couple more attachment points for each side.

Thanks,. . . . . hpdl

Sponsored

sunismymed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 xl
Engine
Undecided
This has got to be the best post I've read of wisdom & humor - the perfect anti-dote to our PC onethink.

Thanks for all the work to do the pdf

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I will use a trailer to haul my mc . always used a trailer with no problems . that's why I made sure my truck had a trailer hitch . I have a 10 x 6 enclosed trailer with ramp drive in door to use as toy hauler/camper (modified) . works great easy peezy . Picture is with f150 on blue ridge parkway . Trailer 1k lbs , bike 500 lbs .

Ford Maverick My real truck can haul my motorcycles w/ help of custom metal tailgate support and level struts IMG_20151007_174329
Sponsored

Last edited: