A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick is my 10th Ford and my 4th truck.
Sponsored

Rickydragon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 Eco AWD Lux Pack 4K Tow Shadow Black
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am getting rid of my Honda Civic for the Ecoboost and I even worked at Honda. Ford knocked the Maverick out of the park with its fuel efficiency and design. Now letā€™s make an AWD Hybrid and all the Ecoboost people like me can make the Hybrid Truck switch.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless a Subaru Brat is considered a pick up this is my third pick up truck I've owned the other being a 91 F150. It is technically my first new pick up since those were bought used.

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2021 Mach E Prem ExtAWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iā€™ll chime in for the stats. Maverick is my 4th new truckā€¦

1995 Ranger 2.3 l XLT s/c manual 4x2
2008 F150 4.6 l 4-door regular cab STX 4x2
2012 F150 4.2 l v6 XLT s/c 4x2

The first two above were FUN to drive. The third, not so much.

Replaced 2012 F150 and 2018 Fusion hybrid with a Maverick Lariat Hybrid

Got stuck in the snow a handful of times with those 4x2 trucks. I always chose 4x2 because I didnā€™t want to sacrifice fuel economy with the 4x4. Now Iā€™ll likely never get stuck in the snow with the FWD Mav, and itā€™s FUN to drive!

Sponsored

Azul93GT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09'Escape LTD, 04' Ranger Edge, a couple of Fox
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 2022 Ford Maverick was a highly-coveted product from the moment it was revealed last year, leading to a large number of reservations and demand that far exceeded FoMoCoā€™s expectations
I've seen people try to rationalize this, but I still don't see how Ford underestimated the demand to this extent.

I've previously owned pick-up trucks. I was actually looking at Ranger super-crew cab trucks when I happened upon the Mav.

Last edited:

Jwhisl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've owned several trucks and have had my 2014 f150 for several years now. Honestly I would have gone for the Ranger if it was as affordable as the Maverick. I bought a house that put me further from my job and the v8 was killing me in gas. Needed to downsize. Nothing even comes close to the price point of the Maverick and when I test drove one I really likes how it drove. I didn't want to deal with bait-and-switch schemes or insane dealer markups so I ordered one through a dealer I had used in the past. (The fx4 I test drove in late december already had 5k added)

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have ALWAYS had a FORD truck in my stable....whether it was an F250 diesel, or one of my many F150 pickups....Sold my 2019 F150 in October, recd my HYBRID maverick 12/23....which has FAR FAR FAR exceeded my expectations! in both MPG and reliability/comfort. My MPG avg over the last 2,000 miles is 42.1 MPG. 25 percent hwy, 75 percent city/50-60 mph roads. A SOLID 10 on a 1-10 scale in my opinion...and this is from a VERY seasoned new vehicle buyer...someone who has bought, dozens...yes, that is DOZENS of BRAND NEW vehicles...cars/trucks/motorcycles/motorhomes/fifth wheels the whole shooting match....and yes, I love my NEW bronco too....just NOT as much as my MAVERICK!

Ford Maverick MOST 2022 NEW MAVERICK OWNERS ARE NEW PICK UP BUYERS AMBbronco

Ford Maverick MOST 2022 NEW MAVERICK OWNERS ARE NEW PICK UP BUYERS maverickcactusgray

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've seen people try to rationalize this, but I still don't see how Ford underestimated the demand to this extent.

I've previously owned pick-up trucks. I was actually looking at Ranger super-crew cab trucks when I happened upon the Mav.
I think this is because they don't have a true understanding of us "common folks". This will be my 3rd pickup truck. I too was surprised about them underestimating the demand....but then again you would have to actually get out and mingle,talk, and ask the commoners.

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First truck owner (and turbo owner) . Always wanted a truck but had 3 kids. MAV being unibody has a wider back seat then most mid size pickups. Came from a 2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU as a daily driver. When gas went above 1.50$/L (over 6.00 a gallon for American's) it was time to get something more fuel efficient as the jeep was getting 14L/100km (16 MPG).

Mav gets 10.6 to 12.2L/100km at its worst in the dead of winter on 87 octane doing short trips around the city

This truck is affordable (ranger starts at 46K in Canada) has a turbo engine with AWD from a hot hatch, drives like a SUV, has a pickup bed and looks awesome! Ford engineers knocked it out of the park with this.

Only minor gripe is I wish the transmission had a manual mode with paddle shifters!

Sponsored

xhristian1

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ES 350
šŸ˜‚My first truck was a 2000 Ranger I sold last year...not enough HP and mileage sucked. I LOVE small trucks though and my prayers were answers for a safe, modern Ranger.

Ford were dumbasses not expecting this to be a hit.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

it's not rationalizing at all. Ford did their research and due diligence here before committing to re-imagining a market segment that died off 10+ years ago. Why do you think they killed the old Ranger back in 2012? Sales were dead for a couple years. Why did Honda go mid-sized with Ridgeline- and Toyota and GM all grow their trucks into mid-size while killing off compacts? Why did Nissan NOT update and enlarge the Frontier for over 10 years? Consumer buying habits and feature demand were behind all of it and there was years of evidence/data to prove market trends of little to no demand for compact pick ups.

When trucks in general got supersized and their prices bloated, it pushed a lot of people out of the market for trucks. Ford took baby steps bringing back the Ranger, but it too was bloated and was a dated "global" design adapted for US market. Ford saw demand there, but not overwhelming demand in sales figures. Ford announced they were stopping sales of all passenger cars to concentrate on their best sellers like F-150, Mustang, and SUV/CUVs. They faced a dilemma of poor financial results in all other segments besides those I listed and stock tanked. They took some risks bringing back Bronco & creating Bronco Sport. Same with Mach-E.

If YOU were the CEO and Executive team- HOW would YOU assess demand for a product like Maverick with no comparable marketing data to draw on and extreme pressure to get it right immediately or possibly face company wide disaster financially if it failed?

IMO, I find it remarkable they got so much right for so many buying segments given all global circumstances, and IMO underestimating demand is a good problem to have and easier to accommodate than the alternative of a costly failure to ATTRACT demand at all for this Jack of All Trades entry level vehicle that had not existed before.
Sponsored