Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most 2022 Ford Maverick Owners Are First Time Pickup Buyers
By Brett Foote
April 16, 2022 1:00 am
erick-XLT-Hybrid-Exterior-021-front-three-quarters.jpg
SPONSORED
The 2022 Ford Maverick was a highly-coveted product from the moment it was revealed last year, leading to a large number of reservations and demand that far exceeded FoMoCo’s expectations – particularly the entry-level hybrid model. The Maverick’s biggest conquest is the Honda Civic, a vehicle that it doesn’t even directly compete with, thanks to the compact pickup’s impressive fuel efficiency and low price tag. And as it turns out, most 2022 Ford Maverick owners are first-time pickup buyers, too.
rick-XLT-Hybrid-Exterior-027-side-parellel-parking.jpg

“What we are seeing is many of these customers are first time truck owners, we’re seeing roughly over 70 percent of these customers coming out of non truck segments,” Trevor Scott, Ford Maverick Marketing Manager, told Ford Authority executive editor, Alex Luft, in a recent interview.
As a whole, demand for the new Maverick has far exceeded supply. During its first four months on sale in 2021, Ford Maverick sales totaled 13,258 units in the U.S. During the first three months of 2022, Maverick sales totaled 19,245 units. This signals a ramp-up in terms of production, though Ford stopped taking orders for 2022 models earlier this year as demand quickly exceeded its production capacity.
cockpit-center-screen-gauge-cluster-steering-wheel.jpg

As Ford Authority recently reported, FoMoCo expected around 40 percent of 2022 Maverick buyers to opt for the hybrid, which it reflected in its production mix, though that expectation was quickly surpassed, leading to a backlog of orders. At the same time, a number of other supply-constrained features and option packages have slowed down deliveries as well.
verick-XLT-Hybrid-Exterior-013-rear-three-quarters.jpg

The Maverick has already earned Ford’s “Icon” status, cementing additional future variants as the compact pickup is outselling its big brother, the Ford Ranger. However, even after cutting off orders earlier this year, Ford may still be forced to push some 2022 Maverick orders to the 2023 model year, as Ford Authority recently reported.
We’ll have more on the Maverick soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Maverick news and continuous Ford news coverage.
Not me, had trucks for decades, always hoped they would make a truck exactly like the Maverick, wanted AWD crew cab with good mileage which I have ordered. Until the Maverick I was looking seriously at the Ranger & Colorado.
Sponsored

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am a first pick-up owner and my first Ford. I been a Mazda man since 1992 due to their reliability. My wife still drives a Mazda CX-5.

1stNewFordTruck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2012 Dodge Journey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually stepping down in size from a 2014 Ram 1500 to a hybrid Maverick.
Not my first hybrid though. I also owned a 2019 Hyundai Ioniq and my wife has a 2020 Honda CRV hybrid.

Boomhauer1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2010
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am getting rid of my Honda Civic for the Ecoboost and I even worked at Honda. Ford knocked the Maverick out of the park with its fuel efficiency and design. Now let’s make an AWD Hybrid and all the Ecoboost people like me can make the Hybrid Truck switch.
This is me exactly. Getting rid of my 2010 civic dx for an AWD Maverick. I always have thoughts upon whether I want the awd or the hybrid and I just test drove my paps Maverick hybrid and let me tell you it was smooth and very nice to drive. I feel as though both powertrains will make those who drive them happy.

MavChad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMWX3, 1979 Ford Lariat 350 (Farm Truck)
First Time Ford owner 🙂👍 and first time pickup truck factory order (have an old farm truck). Very much looking forward to getting mine 1st week of May (ordered Jan 14!)

Sponsored

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm going to guess it might be my 20th. I have 5 now. I've owned internationalss, Dodges, GMC, chevy Ford and a Sterling and may have forgotten a brand or two.

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is my first pick up truck (those owned by my husband don't count because I rarely drove them) and I've wanted a pickup since I was a teen dreaming about my first ride.

It's not the K5 Blazer on big-ass tires I always wanted, but by god my little Maverick will do!

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It seems like the two extremes this is a hit with. New pickup owners and long time pickup owners. Me, I have owned a ton of vehicles and 9 pickups already (3 F150's, 1 Ranger, 2 Dodge Adventurers, 2 Dodge Ram's, 1 GMC) but all were bought used except 1 F150. In fact this will only be the 4th new vehicle I have ever purchased, and that's counting the recent purchase of a new car for my wife! I am simply at a stage I want reliable from my vehicles and had no interest in used. I appreciate the versatility of a pickup, especially as a homeowner, and that was my preference.

But prices have gone through the roof, and most are too big. The Ranger is basically what the F150 used to be size wise. I found with my 2012 F150 that while I loved the vehicle, it was a PITA if I had to go into the city, got lousy gas mileage, and I rarely used it's pickup capabilities to the full extent. The Maverick just ticks so many boxes.

The only thing I wonder about, is why anyone would buy a Ranger? That seems like the poorest choice in the current lineup.

Metric

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I definitely am, I needed something that would last me 5-7+ years with little problems, that didn't cost 50K, had AWD, can tow a 3k lb boat, and wont break the bank with gas as a daily driver. All the other utility it brings will be a happy bonus down the road.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am a new NEW pickup truck buyer, however I have owned 3 used ones in the past. Modern pickups just don't have value anymore, except the Maverick.

All truck manufacturers need to bring back the 20k mini economy pickups. Not everyone wants to spend 45k just so they can buy a new fridge/washing machine without having to rent a truck or bother a friend.

Sponsored

Dagreeny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2922 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not new for me! Just coming back to having a truck. Had a sports car in between trucks and missed the utility of the truck.

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have owned many, many trucks. My EB Maverick is the 6th pickup that I currently own - used on the farm. All are Fords (even the Mazdas!).

None have ever averaged 30MPG though. Or been as fast or fun to drive. The Maverick is terrific.

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Lariat Maverick and 2019 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is my first truck since 2008. My first vehicle was a 1977 four speed Toyota Hi-Lux. Next truck was a Toyota 5 spend Toyota. Then a 2003 club cab Dakota with auto, because my wife insisted so on a budget and did not get A/C. Paid for that one in lots of stop and go 2 hour commutes. Then in 2003 finally A/C and crew cab Dakota. Sold it in 2008 as the gas prices where eating me alive with my long commute.

So happy Ford created the Maverick!
Sponsored