2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Worst idea ever.

Since you have hot air in these in 3 minutes. If not, have yours checked out.
I know I need more than 3 minutes to defrost with Maine winters no matter the car lol. I'm not driving without clear windows.
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Warm air in 3 minutes, sure.
Melting a thick layer of ice will take longer. But they also have these:😁

Ford Maverick Morning cold startup for hybrid motor 91497AD7-42E1-4B29-84AC-BF103B9019B5

Mickeybob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybird
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those scrapers plus dust on windshields = scratched glass .Magnetic windshield cover works much better.

rivermaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Fusion (UK), MEV Sonic7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not so much concerned about cold starting with the hybrid, I always back my vehicles in so that I am not manuvering with a cold engine and can drive away immediately. Then warm it up by driving, that warms the transmission, power steering etc (I know the Mav drives off under electric power and has electric power steering!).
I try to plan my trips so that the engine gets fully warmed up to burn off the condensation and 'blowby' contaminants.
Does the hybrid ICE always get up to full temperature?

Sponsored

V-blue Mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jeep Cherokee and 2006 F-150 2022 Maverick EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great question. I been wondering the same thing, cause if you drive on electric for a ways and then the gas engine starts it seems like the gas engine is running at a higher rpm then normal. But if i start the gas engine right away in the garage by pushing gas pedal to floor before leaving it seems like the gas engine doesnt run near as hi rpms. I would think stating the gas earlier would be easier on the engine.
It is a great question. Your last sentence says it all, because oil circulation is not the issue. No one has mentioned metal contraction as it gets colder thus creating a bigger gap in bearing tolerance. More gap, more chances for wear. It's best to let the engine warm up in cold weather before its put under a load in my opinion.

Saltwater Cowboys

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Ram 1500, 23 CG XTL Lux, 24 SB Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In the lariat trim, does the steering wheel and seats warm up when you start it in the winter? Never had anything that fancy so i don't know. I only have the XL
Mine is an XLT Lux, but as far as I know the seats and steering wheel start in the same condition they where in when you parked it with one exception. If the seats were on the '1' or '2' setting they will automatically go to '3' the next time you start it. If seat and/or steering wheel heat was off when you parked it, they will be off for the next start. I have not played with the app much, but it would be nice if you could set a default start up condition for the seats and wheel or even have several options based on outside air or cabin temp. Maybe the app does have the ability to do this, but I haven't seen it.

I do know that using remote start a few minutes before I head out the door and climbing into a truck with an already warm seat and steering wheel is really, really nice! Almost makes going to work in the morning bearable!

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It is a great question. Your last sentence says it all, because oil circulation is not the issue. No one has mentioned metal contraction as it gets colder thus creating a bigger gap in bearing tolerance. More gap, more chances for wear. It's best to let the engine warm up in cold weather before its put under a load in my opinion.
If you don't press hard on the gas pedal, it has a built-in gentle warmup cycle. Pressing hard, like to accelerate quickly to highway speeds overrides this. At 40°F everything is warm (over 122°F) in 3-4 minutes. Catalytic converter is 1000°F in 2-3 minutes.

Pikey87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Warm air in 3 minutes, sure.
Melting a thick layer of ice will take longer. But they also have these:😁

91497AD7-42E1-4B29-84AC-BF103B9019B5.jpeg
🤣 there's that lol. I can't scrape fog off the windows though lol. Those stupid glazes of ice will fog the hell out of the inside of the windows. Generally by the time the scraping and brushing is done, the windows should be almost clear. Wish I couldve gotten rear defrost on my XL.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

🤣 there's that lol. I can't scrape fog off the windows though lol. Those stupid glazes of ice will fog the hell out of the inside of the windows. Generally by the time the scraping and brushing is done, the windows should be almost clear. Wish I couldve gotten rear defrost on my XL.
I hear ya.
I've visited all 50 states.
But mostly lived in arid western states.

You can have clear dry windows at 20 degrees in places.

Sponsored

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is an aftermarket defroster grid available for the rear window, if we end up feeling we need them. - Custom fit for the Maverick. Outfit is FrostFighter.com.

That said, supposedly treating the glass with sealant prevents ice/snow/front from sticking the glass. I've been hitting mine with ceramic coating, and the inside with Never-Fog. Once we get a heavy frost, I'll let everybody know how it works.

Rod

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In a normal car, you start the motor and let it run to allow the oil and lubicants to flow around the engine before getting under way. At least I do, especially on cold mornings. The hybrid however doesn't start until it is needed. When I first take off it's on battery only and then the motor kicks in.

Is it a problem for the motor to start under load without first circulating the oil and such?

If this is an earlier thread I couldn't find it.
My kids would roll their eyes and call me “old man”..

OP
OP
Bigbill27

Bigbill27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My kids would roll their eyes and call me “old man”..
My first car was a 1973 Ford Maverick with the 200 ci straight 6. I would never have considered getting under way until the car stopped idling high and settled in. I guess that's not something to worry about any more. Old habits are hard to break.

Rod

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Im with ya..

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My first car was a 1973 Ford Maverick with the 200 ci straight 6. I would never have considered getting under way until the car stopped idling high and settled in. I guess that's not something to worry about any more. Old habits are hard to break.
It took me a long time to stop pumping the throttle pedal once to set the choke and squirt gas into the carburetor. Old habits are hard to break. :cool:
Sponsored