Sponsored

Hybrid efficiency in cold weather?

MavDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
I have an order for a Lariat Lux Hybrid in Alto Blue, and this will be my first ever hybrid vehicle. I have read that cold weather can negatively impact mpg's on hybrid vehicles. Can any hybrid owners speak to this?

If true, this is not necessarily a concern of mine, but I was just curious what other hybrid owners have to say about this. Can I expect to get the full benefits of the hybrid system when I get my truck later this year, going into the winter months? Or will have to wait until spring before I can experience the full effect of the hybrid system on mpg's? I live in the midwest, where we typically go long stretches of time with temps dipping well below 0 degrees.
Sponsored

foxwood28

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
I have an order for a Lariat Lux Hybrid in Alto Blue, and this will be my first ever hybrid vehicle. I have read that cold weather can negatively impact mpg's on hybrid vehicles. Can any hybrid owners speak to this?

If true, this is not necessarily a concern of mine, but I was just curious what other hybrid owners have to say about this. Can I expect to get the full benefits of the hybrid system when I get my truck later this year, going into the winter months? Or will have to wait until spring before I can experience the full effect of the hybrid system on mpg's? I live in the midwest, where we typically go long stretches of time with temps dipping well below 0 degrees.
maybe some, but I live in the Midwest and drove a Prius for awhile. It may have dropped a little but to to a point where I noticed drastic change

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
A hot environment will damage the batteries long term.

a cold battery will have lower efficiency than a warm one, but will not lose capacity because it stays cool.

the batteries are well insulated and will warm up to operating temperature quickly.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX

Hybrid MPG is effected in the winter because the engine is what generates heat for the cabin and the vehicle will keep the engine running to maintain the cabin temperature. Obviously the more the gas engine is running, the worse the fuel economy.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I have read that cold weather can negatively impact mpg's on hybrid vehicles. Can any hybrid owners speak to this?
Here's what I've seen in an Escape Hybrid. These are all my tanks. The two lowest was a 700 mile, 70+ mph round trip for pizza on Pi day, 3/14. No one knew we'd close down the next week.
Ford Maverick Hybrid efficiency in cold weather? 1628451731021

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Here's what I've seen in an Escape Hybrid. These are all my tanks. The two lowest was a 700 mile, 70+ mph round trip for pizza on Pi day, 3/14. No one knew we'd close down the next week.
1628451731021.png
Without average air temp and unless these are all identical runs the data is meaningless (and that statement is true)

pnorwood54

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALTO BLUE XTL AWD-4K-FX4-360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
my niro gets 4-5 mpg less in the winter (Tn.). my usual trip with the heat on, 3 miles are downhill, takes about 12 miles to fully warm up the engine. it sucks going downhill with the engine running to warm ME up.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury

The Maverick will be my third Hybrid. Since I live in Florida I can't really say anything about performance in cold weather. Having said that, the last couple of winters have been colder her in Florida. Nothing like yours but I haven't noticed any issues.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Without average air temp...
That's this chart. Same 15.3 mile route, morning and evening, from a cold start. There's a difference in driving style between the Baseline period and the following year, when I just went lighter on the throttle, for a longer time, so I gained more HVB charge.
Ford Maverick Hybrid efficiency in cold weather? MPG v Temp rural thru winter 150229

As to whether weather mattered.... you're short 25F and 2.5' of snow.
This your Feb, 2021, compared with mine.

...THE ATLANTA CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY 2021...

TEMPERATURE (F)
HIGHEST 79 02/28
LOWEST 23 02/17
MEAN 48.7
PRECIPITATION (INCHES)
TOTALS 3.71
SNOWFALL (INCHES)
TOTALS T
SNOWDEPTH AVG. 0

T INDICATES TRACE AMOUNT.

THE ROCHESTER NY CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY 2021...

TEMPERATURE (F)
HIGHEST 54 02/24
LOWEST 2 02/08
MEAN 23.9
PRECIPITATION (INCHES)
TOTALS 2.23
SNOWFALL (INCHES)
TOTALS 29.9
SNOWDEPTH AVG. 8
Sponsored