John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is my 1st Hybrid. Glad I live in Phoenix and park in a garage. Not much to worry about here as far a warming up. I just wish the Hybrid had a tachometer so I can tell when the ice kicks in. My truck is soooo smooth that most of the time I cannot tell when the ice engine kicks in.
Put it on EV Coach Screen.
Voted the #1 best screen in the Hybrid Maverick.
(Found on "star" menu.)

Blue is EV power.
Green is EV regeneration charging.
White is engine is running. (Hybrid drive.)

Idle is 1250 RPM.
Cruising on the highway is about 2500 RPM.

Rev limiter is at 5600 RPM.
Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not trying to heat myself 😋

I'm worried about the engine getting fully warmed up for a period of time. It's not great to run an ICE again and again while never getting up to full operating temperature to drive off moisture in the oil.
To keep ice running in cold weather put max heat on if you can stay in cabin without being naked your tough. This will put max draw on on HVB and ice runs to gen electricity and ice coolant will go up. Ice will only run at the minimum rpm to furnish needed torque weather that be 1600, 2650, 4200. If cabin temp is set too low then heater is turned to set temp. The AC condenser is used to dehumidify the air to below the dew point. The rpm of the ice will slowly increase or decrease or stop as needed with some drive modes and temp settings causing ice to continually run. If you are not using energy ice may be at low rpm. Computer will cycle ice on and off to keep emission system at operating temps presumably oil temp at a required minimum. Ice rpm will be stepped up as necessary with priority given to sweet spot efficient rpm. You can turn ice on by advancing accelerator pedal slightly for very short time and it will stay on Until HVB is around 40% soc and may stay on with reduced rpm. In short the ice will be kept at minimum operating temp and rpm if possible because excess heat is wasted energy.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Tow/haul or Sport.
Engine will run all times except at a dead stop.

Max Heat is counter-productive.
And opposite of what the OP wants to do. Max heat to the cabin = maximum engine cooling.

Fastest way to heat the engine, coolant, and oil, is to keep the Climate control completely off.

Well, A/C wouldn't hurt. 😎

Last edited:

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, as is often the case I had to run the defogger so this morning I left it on more than I normally would. That seemed to have minimal impact on the engine heating up faster.

Sports mode seems like maybe it helped because as mentioned, it did seem to keep the engine running more (hard to know 100% when cruising with wind noise). I was able to get at least close to the needle being dead center (which I assume is close to full operating temp for the coolant). Was it long enough? Maybe not. That's hard to say as oil temp likely trails coolant temp.

One thing about sports mode though...

I had never used it for any appreciable amount of time. But those simulated shifts??? Lol! They seem like they'd make it slower if your goal was all out acceleration.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So, as is often the case I had to run the defogger so this morning I left it on more than I normally would. That seemed to have minimal impact on the engine heating up faster.

Sports mode seems like maybe it helped because as mentioned, it did seem to keep the engine running more (hard to know 100% when cruising with wind noise). I was able to get at least close to the needle being dead center (which I assume is close to full operating temp for the coolant). Was it long enough? Maybe not. That's hard to say as oil temp likely trails coolant temp.

One thing about sports mode though...

I had never used it for any appreciable amount of time. But those simulated shifts??? Lol! They seem like they'd make it slower if your goal was all out acceleration.
Putting any heat to the cabin/windows makes the engine warm up more slowly. You are literally removing heat from the engine to blow it into the cabin.

Sport mode DOES make your truck slower. It does it in Tow mode also. Not sure why. But I've noticed it won't fake shift if you are heavy into the pedal in tow mode, like while accelerating from zero to highway speed at like 75% throttle and more. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sponsored

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Putting any heat to the cabin/windows makes the engine warm up more slowly. You are literally removing heat from the engine to blow it into the cabin.

Sport mode DOES make your truck slower. It does it in Tow mode also. Not sure why. But I've noticed it won't fake shift if you are heavy into the pedal in tow mode, like while accelerating from zero to highway speed at like 75% throttle and more. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I hear you on the heat thing except I was thinking it would keep the engine running more which could be an overall net gain (despite some loss from robbing heat) on getting up to full operating temp.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The engine is programmed to never shut off unless the water temp. is warmer than 122°F. So there is always that.

KDay

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So now that it's actually cold I'm a little concerned about getting up to full operating temperature to drive off moisture. For instance, this morning my commute was 10 miles and it took me 25 minutes. I barely ever made it past the first line on the temp gauge and when I arrived at work I was well below that because closer to my work I go down a hill and the ICE turns off and the cold temperatures really start to cool it back down. I'm not sure how often one needs to get up to full operating temperature but with this engine being so efficient I might have to make some special highway trips or something.
Same here; really struggles to get up to operating temp in the colder weather. Driving in 'sport' or 'tow/haul' to keep the ICE running helps, but kinda defeats the purpose of buying a hybrid. I'd be curious if you also observe the 'pudding' under the oil fill cap like I did:

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/2023-hybrid-oil-change-pudding-surprise.39600/

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same here; really struggles to get up to operating temp in the colder weather. Driving in 'sport' or 'tow/haul' to keep the ICE running helps, but kinda defeats the purpose of buying a hybrid. I'd be curious if you also observe the 'pudding' under the oil fill cap like I did:

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/2023-hybrid-oil-change-pudding-surprise.39600/
I saw that thread. I haven't checked yet. I have seen this in the past though when I was doing a lot of short trips in my VW.
Sponsored