stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Our other car is a base model '17 jetta. We weren't even interested in another car for probably another 2yrs and then it was likely going to be another compact (ie. prius, mazda 3, maybe an EV). Although it does have some utility for us because we do a ton of camping/hiking/mountaineering and have 4 bikes to transport, we had zero interest in a truck until we heard about the Maverick hybrid. Currently averaging ~44mpg in mixed driving.
Sponsored

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not to pile on, but the Civic is literally the Mav's biggest conquest so far: Biggest Conquest For 2022 Ford Maverick Is The Honda Civic (fordauthority.com)
Great article including the sidebar article on conquest: https://fordauthority.com/2022/03/ford-motor-company-sales-numbers-figures-results-february-2022/

Question > Is Ford Authority information come straight from "inside" FoMoCo? (Just wondering.)

Observation > Reviewing the article above, the section below refers to the statement "Maverick's top competitive conquest is the Honda Civic".

-Ford Maverick sales totaled 4,037 units
.Ford Maverick is turning on dealer lots in just 6 days
.More than 80 percent of Maverickā€™s retail sales in February came from previously placed customer orders
.Maverickā€™s top competitive conquest is the Honda Civic

Reviewing all the attached article links, I do not see any quantitative data or article links outside of Ford Authority articles, plus the article links bring the reader back to the article "Biggest Conquest ..... ".

Just looking for some hard data to prove the statement. It's great that Civic owners are trading for a Maverick. More power to them for going into a Ford product.

Phinney Ridge Dave

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 MB GLK 250 Bluetec 4matic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why not, Sam?
Yeah. I don't get why we shouldn't make this comparison. A lot of people are coming from compact cars, and the most interesting thing about the Maverick is that it's directly comparable (in different ways) to a Civic and an F150.

UnTruck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Layne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Pilot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great article including the sidebar article on conquest: https://fordauthority.com/2022/03/ford-motor-company-sales-numbers-figures-results-february-2022/

Reviewing all the attached article links, I do not see any quantitative data or article links outside of Ford Authority articles, plus the article links bring the reader back to the article "Biggest Conquest ..... ".

Just looking for some hard data to prove the statement. It's great that Civic owners are trading for a Maverick. More power to them for going into a Ford product.
Here a snapshot of the press release from Ford:

Ford Maverick May 2022 Car and Driver issue has Maverick article w/ comparison against Civic [tested numbers] 1651763553515

February Sales (ford.com)

Sponsored

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because while the Maverick is styled like a truck and marketed as a truck, its not really a truck-truck. In its bones, the Maverick is a passenger vehicle with a bed that blurs the line between the categories, a boxy styled modern version of the Ford Ranchero, and is based on the Escape crossover accordingly.

I wouldn't say a Civic is a direct competitor, but its capable of fulfilling the functionality of a Civic in typical commuting capability and is plenty easy to get in and out of and while the back seats can't fold down like a Civic hatchback the bed is long enough that it doesn't matter and can be used just like a trunk too.

I'd argue the closest competitor to the Maverick, aside from the Santa Cruz obviously, would be other crossovers, and in particular the Ford Escape.

An Escape hybrid SE has the same infotainment, the same steering wheel, the same engine and transmission, same gauge cluster, same shifter, same chassis, slightly less tow capacity, and while you lose the bed you do gain the practical box shape of a crossover where you can fold the seats down if needed to fit quite a bit in a secure cabin, and the perks are a slightly more comfy ride, more rear passenger room with more seatback recline, probably less wind noise, better highway fuel economy, and easier parking since its quite a bit shorter in particular parallel parking if you're in a dense city like Austin. The problem of course is the styling is way too swoopy for most guy's taste, and while the Bronco Sport addresses that and is much more like the Maverick, it doesn't come in hybrid yet.

For me personally, thanks to problems ordering at or under MSRP of anything I want, I'm currently twiddling my thumbs waiting for either a '23 Maverick Lariat Hybrid, an announcement of any changes to the '23 Santa Cruz (like a hybrid), or a '23 Kia Sportage hybrid as more efficient tools to get me around than my current Ram 1500 which is overkill for what we generally use it for (commuting, errands, garden-center/home depot trips, and towing a motorcycle or other moderate trailer).
for me the MAV is a cross between my 2018 ESCAPE SEL (4WD) and my 2021 ESCAPE HYBRID TITANIUM (AWD) with all the stuff on it including Park Assist. The MAV has all the MPG features and some of the Luxury Features (Lariat) plus the bed. I am just going to keep them all. In addition even better than the CIVIC we have a Camry Hybrid (awesome car) stripped - cheap to buy, own and run. I have in my younger days had corvettes, Porsches and a Lexus SC-430 but at my age i am fully back-to-basics with stuff that i can get in and out of.

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've seen two people say a Nissan Versa is "basically a Civic" and no, it isn't. The Versa is basically a Versa. They are fine cars but they are like the Civic in only in that they are small sedans. Having spent time with Versas, Civics, Mazda3s, Corollas, Sentras.. they are all quite different.

This is like saying the Maverick is basically a Santa Cruz.
I came here to say this, lol. Glad someone raised this.

Also I like the comparison and it was literally the choice I was most torn by. For slightly more than what I paid for my XLT hybrid, I could've ended up in a (much, much nicer) turbo civic hatchback... But the Maverick fit my needs so much better and here I am--I don't need "nice", but I sometimes do need the bed. Plus, I am coming from a ten year old Hyundai Elantra (terrific car), so basically anything is a significant step up in niceness.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I came here to say this, lol. Glad someone raised this.

Also I like the comparison and it was literally the choice I was most torn by. For slightly more than what I paid for my XLT hybrid, I could've ended up in a (much, much nicer) turbo civic hatchback... But the Maverick fit my needs so much better and here I am--I don't need "nice", but I sometimes do need the bed. Plus, I am coming from a ten year old Hyundai Elantra (terrific car), so basically anything is a significant step up in niceness.
I had that dilemma as well briefly.. Lariat Lux Hybrid at $29,300 through Chapman, or $31,360 for a Civic Sport Touring HB. Ended up picking up a 2022 Civic Touring sedan for my mother and spent some time driving it. They are extremely nice small cars, but I've had a lot of nice cars of all sizes. I really want this small truck. I don't even need the bed, I just love the Maverick and think it is a home run.

Aminal

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's interesting because Ford said from the beginning (June 2021) that it is comparing the hybrid to the Civic, so C&D is just taking what most owners, and would be owners know.

But in all reality, how can a truck compare to a car (in general)? AND Civic owners are not really trading in their car for a Maverick.

Thanks for the info.
My current car is a 2006 Civic. I was almost all in on buying a 22 Civic Hatchback (between a civic and a Mazda) when I found out about the maverick.

So, true I'm not trading it in for a Maverick, but I am a Honda-Ford convert. I think that counts for something.

If through some fluke I didn't hear about the maverick when I did, I would probably own another civic.

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Micheal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Micheal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Escape Hy, 2014 Escape, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is like saying the Maverick is basically a Santa Cruz.
Bite your tongue! Ick! Yuk! Gak! Sorry, I just threw up on my keyboard a little.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The fact itā€™s faster then civic is kinda crazy 0 to 60. The speed is only comparison that Iā€™m interested in

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The fact itā€™s faster then civic is kinda crazy 0 to 60. The speed is only comparison that Iā€™m interested in
The fact it's faster than the NA 2.0L 158hp Civic is not surprising. The better comparison would be the 1.5T Civic with 180hp, given the Maverick has 191.

EvilSpock

First Name
Spock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
It's interesting because Ford said from the beginning (June 2021) that it is comparing the hybrid to the Civic, so C&D is just taking what most owners, and would be owners know.

But in all reality, how can a truck compare to a car (in general)? AND Civic owners are not really trading in their car for a Maverick.

Thanks for the info.
Civic hatchback owner waiting for my Maverick. šŸ˜Œ

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I'm not trading a Civic, but I was one day away from buying a new Nissan Kicks last year - cute little SUV, mid trim (similar to XLT) and it was $23,000 +taxetc.
I heard about the Maverick somehow on the world wide web and just loved it, as opposed to the feeling I was going to "settle" for a Nissan Kicks.

Although i'm retired now, for years I had a "drive to work car" for my 42 mile commute, and the best car I had for that purpose was a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen diesel. 41 mpg, nice driver, etc.
Some poor guy rear ended me on US23 and totaled my Jetta.

I think I will like the Maverick as well as I liked that Jetta. Similar MPGs, size, ability to carry "stuff". And something different - in other words, not an Equinox or an Outback or a RAV4 or an Escape.

And oh yeah, Hot Pepper Red and NOT silver/white/gray/black.

As you can tell, it was important to me to have something DIFFERENT.

So I think I'll be happy. I'll check back with you after my baby comes in the next couple of weeks.
Sponsored