First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's great to know. I want something will a little pep because my current Tacoma is such a slug when accelerating. It's infuriating sometimes. The old 6-speed automatic and no forced induction engine doesn't help matters. A cold-air intake would probably help but there's no point when I'll be trading it in anyway. I can't wait for the 2.0 with a turbo and a better shifting 8-speed automatic.
Sponsored

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In this day and age I'd rather have 40 mpg than fast 0-60 time's. If I wanted fast 0-60 time's I would have bought the tesla.
I have a Tesla Model Y with acceleration boost and am buying a Maverick so… fast is fun but not practical. I can’t say I launch the Tesla all too often. Maybe at a highway stoplight for fun but otherwise who cares 0-60. It’s an old benchmark. As long as modern cars have the power when needed like to pass or merge onto interstate.

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
It is a race track out there. Car deaths are at on all time high. People drive like idiots.. The hybrid is plenty for me. Its only slightly slower, less than one second than a stock eb. Besides if you look at whats going on in the world, gas prices will be going through the roof. I think also with the eb you should be running expensive top tier premium or you will have a carbon build up issue. My last 2.0 turbo vw had the issue.. a pain in the butt. Constant check engine light and rough idling. I thought I could get away with mid grade. No way. Good luck to everyone. Both engine options have thier pros and cons. Have to buy the one that fits your needs. If I was younger I would be jumping all over the eb turbo and tuning to get everything out of it. But I'm old now and just want to get from point A to point B as economicaly as possible.[/QUOTE]

Jimmy P

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"Given MT's decision on the Rivian, their credibility has taken a hit." Please provide the "credibility" numbers and source. Facts vs opinions
"So, their test results for the EB are questionable." Are you using the previous "credibility" sentence to support this statement? If so, see above.
"Mr. Boom and CD are most likely much more accurate." By what empirical data is this supported?

Lighten up, dude! This is an opinion forum, not a discovery phase leading up to a trial.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas holiday and a successful New Year while happily enjoying your new Mav!

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Tesla Model Y with acceleration boost and am buying a Maverick so… fast is fun but not practical. I can’t say I launch the Tesla all too often. Maybe at a highway stoplight for fun but otherwise who cares 0-60. It’s an old benchmark. As long as modern cars have the power when needed like to pass or merge onto interstate.
Yeah, I operate in basically two modes. Most of the time I live on cruise control, even on 30mph back roads, and I look far ahead to cut the cruise to glide in saving fuel, use racing lines when no one is around to keep my speed up in turns, and my starts are moderately slow.

However, being Houston every day from work just going from a stop to turn 90o onto a feeder road where everyone is going 60mph with only small gaps in traffic, same thing grocery shopping at Costco for that matter, or when I'm in a hurry so get in the empty left most lane at a red light even though I need to take a right at the next intersection, I need all she's got Scotty!

That said, while I'm usually chill, those hard accelerations to 60 are such a daily occurrence that I wouldn't factor brake boost launches into my routine. I know they do no harm once in a while, but daily I don't trust the extra strain on the components, and so only look at regular launches, and in those the Ecoboost AWD really isn't that much different from a Hybrid FWD.

Sponsored

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably save on a few speeding tickets!

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did notice that this C/D article is a bit old already, their acceleration numbers are still estimates, wait until they publish actual test numbers. I do believe the C/D numbers will be more accurate, especially seeing the numbers members are posting.

M Spec

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Toyo LC, 1988 911, 2005 STI, 2010 STI, 3 More
Lighten up, dude! This is an opinion forum, not a discovery phase leading up to a trial.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas holiday and a successful New Year while happily enjoying your new Mav!
You are correct, this is an opinion forum. I just stated my opinion about the flawed logic of the post.

“What are the facts? Again and again and again – what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history” – what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!”

― Robert Heinlein

You have a great holiday also !!!! Stay safe and well. :)

Last edited:

oreomuffin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CaptainK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

M Spec

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's great to know. I want something will a little pep because my current Tacoma is such a slug when accelerating. It's infuriating sometimes. The old 6-speed automatic and no forced induction engine doesn't help matters. A cold-air intake would probably help but there's no point when I'll be trading it in anyway. I can't wait for the 2.0 with a turbo and a better shifting 8-speed automatic.
WOW... Tacoma owner trades for Maverick. That would be fun to post on Tacoma site! Congratulations...Fyi I have owned three Tacomas and four 4Runners two LC's and one Sequoia They were all really good but I do think that Toyota is resting on their laurels. Sad

Sponsored

M Spec

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a32018270/how-we-test-cars/

Two positioning systems are used for "positional accuracy to within one inch".

Sounds pretty empirical testing to me!
Thanks for the clarification!
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a32018270/how-we-test-cars/

Understand and thanks! Not to belabor the point (ok maybe a little) The statement in the post is a comparative one. So in order to have a fair comparison, all testing methodology must be considered. E.g. what instrumentation was used by the other testers, etc.
If I understand the post correctly, three comparisons were made, Boom, C&D and MT. You have provided me with the methodology of one of them, C&D. Again, if I am understanding the situation correctly (which very well may not be the case, just entertaining a discussion). In order for complete disclosure the testing procedures of the other two are required.
Finally, I am by no means questioning if the results stated in the post are correct (although I do have significant concerns) they very well may be or not be. Rather where and how was the information obtained, otherwise, again...just opinion. While this is an opinion forum, (as I was recently reminded, see above) Veracity should always be preferred (In my opinion :)).

Have a safe and happy holiday!

Last edited:

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Lol, I can’t wait to read these comments between the overly defensive Hybrid and Ecoboost owners.
The only thing that'd seemingly piss a hybrid driver off more than reduced performance is dropping gas prices. They can be a sensitive bunch. :LOL:

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only thing that'd seemingly piss a hybrid driver off more than reduced performance is dropping gas prices. They can be a sensitive bunch. :LOL:
Ya...gas went down 2 cents a gallon...ready to give up on the hybrid and get the eb!

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
have you actually driven the Maverick ECO 2.0 turbo with 8 speed automatic? I have and thought the tranny shifts smooth as butter up & down. Also test drove an Edge with same combo- again smooth. WAY smoother than the 10 speed in my 2018 F-150 that is notchy and hunts for gears for no reason. YMMV

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Being an impartial outsider not having ordered an ecoboost or hybrid yet, in order to remove the "I must justify my purchase" defense mechanism...
Ford Maverick Car and Driver instrument tested review:  Maverick 2.0 AWD does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds! 8f2fecb441adcec645e2c6b77c3714b1

The above quote sounds like a cope after seeing that in most standard tests where you're just pressing the gas from a stop, the hybrid is not only way more economical with a much more daily livable stop-start functionality with less maintenance intervals including carbon fouling concerns, but even beat the AWD Ecoboost in some performance tests.

Fact is, the below testing methodology explains why C&D always has the quickest times of any major publication, and doesn't represent real world results where on an average 75oF day you just press the gas pedal from a stop to see how the vehicle will behave in normal driving when you give it gas at a stop sign or red light:
Car&Driver said:
It is up to the tester to determine the best launch technique, and this process can mean that some cars (for example, a launch-control-equipped Porsche 911) require just two or three launches to get the best possible time. Conventional automatics may only require five launches. High-power, rear-wheel-drive cars equipped with manual transmissions are the most time-consuming, and finding the sweet spot of balancing wheelspin and clutch engagement (usually in the 3000-to-4000-rpm range, but it varies depending on the car) may take 10 runs or more. Ambient weather conditions—we record absolute barometric pressure and wet- and dry-bulb temperatures trackside—determine how much power an engine makes. Because of that, we also correct acceleration results to 60 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level.
In other words, even C&D probably didn't get the time they are posting before "adjusting" for hypothetical ideal conditions, yet alone could consistently achieve the time since they say it can take 10 or more runs to get their best in some cases, so really don't even set themselves a limit for their goldilocks launch.

If your expectation is to reproduce what the Russian guy on TFL does on their little test strip, you'll be a happy camper, but if you're basing it on C&D good luck achieving that on your trip to Costco.
Sponsored