Sponsored

Michael Dietzel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I find myself in the unique position of doing a head-on comparison. I've owned my Toyota Tacoma TRD for 4 years and although it clocks in at 245 horse it will barely match the Maverick on acceleration. Trust me I've done it more than once lol although the Maverick claims a mere 191 horsepower it clearly can keep up with the Toyota in my lead-footed comparison. And it's ironic because one of the reasons that I bought the Toyota was the acceleration and handling. Which brings us to point number two, the Maverick seems to grip better and show a better direct line of travel on lane change, I realize the Toyota is higher and has a stiffer suspension. But I would have to say that the Maverick continues to amaze me on a day-to-day basis. It feels roomier than the Tacoma, it rides better than Tacoma it's easier to park than the Tacoma and the mileage isn't even close. I bought my Tacoma when my 2003 Dodge ram hemi got totaled by an uninsured driver. Freeway MPG on the ram 1500 hovered around 22 miles per gallon the Toyota Tacoma could barely match that the way I drove it. In all honesty though I drive my trucks like they are all hemi v8s. That being said, I think the heralded and high resale Tacoma will lose his crown to the new Ford Maverick. There's no reason to buy a taco when you can get a Maverick
Sponsored

Michael Dietzel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Keep in mind my driving style is pretty much pure Fred Flintstone - in other words mash throttle with right foot, when in big trouble open driver door and drag left foot LOL. But on a side to side mash the throttle test the Maverick more than holds it's own against the Tacoma

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I find myself in the unique position of doing a head-on comparison. I've owned my Toyota Tacoma TRD for 4 years and although it clocks in at 245 horse it will barely match the Maverick on acceleration. Trust me I've done it more than once lol although the Maverick claims a mere 191 horsepower it clearly can keep up with the Toyota in my lead-footed comparison. And it's ironic because one of the reasons that I bought the Toyota was the acceleration and handling. Which brings us to point number two, the Maverick seems to grip better and show a better direct line of travel on lane change, I realize the Toyota is higher and has a stiffer suspension. But I would have to say that the Maverick continues to amaze me on a day-to-day basis. It feels roomier than the Tacoma, it rides better than Tacoma it's easier to park than the Tacoma and the mileage isn't even close. I bought my Tacoma when my 2003 Dodge ram hemi got totaled by an uninsured driver. Freeway MPG on the ram 1500 hovered around 22 miles per gallon the Toyota Tacoma could barely match that the way I drove it. In all honesty though I drive my trucks like they are all hemi v8s. That being said, I think the heralded and high resale Tacoma will lose his crown to the new Ford Maverick. There's no reason to buy a taco when you can get a Maverick

1. The Toyota was built and designed as a truck.
2. The Maverick was built off the same platform as the Escape and Bronco Sport, both are SUV-based, which will handle MUCH better.
3. The V6 in the Toyota was designed for truck power not 1/4 mile time.
4. The Maverick powertrain is designed to effectively place the power to the ground.

On my way to work today, a Dodge TRX wanted to play with me in my M5, we have about the same amount of HP..... I took him by 5-6 car lengths and was pulling. Also the TRX is about 2k more lbs then my M5 too.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
1. The Toyota was built and designed as a truck.
2. The Maverick was built off the same platform as the Escape and Bronco Sport, both are SUV-based, which will handle MUCH better.
3. The V6 in the Toyota was designed for truck power not 1/4 mile time.
4. The Maverick powertrain is designed to effectively place the power to the ground.

On my way to work today, a Dodge TRX wanted to play with me in my M5, we have about the same amount of HP..... I took him by 5-6 car lengths and was pulling. Also the TRX is about 2k more lbs then my M5 too.
The most pleasant surprise since I got my mav is the handling. Plenty of power, the acceleration is great but it never feels like it's out of control. Lane changes are sharp and sure footed.

It feels light and quick and I had to make a conscious decision to drive carefully because this thing could easily get me in trouble. Cruise control really helps on the highway to make sure I don't fly away. :D

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

New motortrend review: 2022 Ford Maverick Pros and Cons Review: A Small Truck With a Big Impact (motortrend.com)

Interesting piece is they list their 0-90 times by 10mph intervals, and it appears as though the hybrid is faster from 60-90 and 45-65. Begs the question: Hybrid better for passing on the highway?

ACCELERATION TO MPHHybridEB AWD 4K
0-302.9 sec2.3 sec
0-404.23.5
0-505.75.2
0-607.67.0
0-709.89.4
0-8012.512.4
0-9016.015.8
0-100--
PASSING, 45-65 MPH3.73.8
Well, that puts it into perspective. Not that I wanted the extra power but the hybrid is no dog. Except when I want it to be.

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Whats funny is I did a 0-60 in my ecoboost awd 4k and got...exactly 7 seconds.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The most pleasant surprise since I got my mav is the handling. Plenty of power, the acceleration is great but it never feels like it's out of control. Lane changes are sharp and sure footed.

It feels light and quick and I had to make a conscious decision to drive carefully because this thing could easily get me in trouble. Cruise control really helps on the highway to make sure I don't fly away. :D
I agree the handling is nice
Sponsored