First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
have you actually driven the Maverick ECO 2.0 turbo with 8 speed automatic? I have and thought the tranny shifts smooth as butter up & down. Also test drove an Edge with same combo- again smooth. WAY smoother than the 10 speed in my 2018 F-150 that is notchy and hunts for gears for no reason. YMMV
I haven't driven it yet because these are virtually impossible to find for a test drive. And whatever one comes in (which is rare) it's already pre-sold, so I can't take it for a drive. So I'm just going according to the owner's reviews and journalists on the automotive magazines to get an idea of the driving experience. I'm just hoping it lives up to its hype which I'm sure it will.
Sponsored

OP
OP

houselog442

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I have a Maverick with the ecoboost and the 8 speed auto and it does shift pretty smoothly. That surprised me because my last vehicle was a 2020 Escape with the 1.5L ecoboost and the 8 speed and that 8 speed constantly hunted gears and even started downshifting from 5th to 4th harshly to the point where I had to take it in to get get the transmission flashed to reset it.

The 8 speed on the Maverick shifts far better so far and doesn’t quite hunt for gears like the Escape did.

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"The front-drive-only hybrid has a power level better matched to powering only the front wheels. Its 2.5-liter emits more four-cylinder buzz than the quiet 2.0T, but it's not obnoxious."

Too bad they didn't get to do the performance tests for the hybrid. Somebody do drag and roll race between the 2 already! Can't wait!

They also said they got 29mpg on the highway and 21mpg observed. Does anyone know if they are calculating these MPG numbers themselves?

MT got 7.6s
Mr. Boom got 6.56
CD got 5.9s

Quite a spread...interesting anyhow
My daily driver is a '14 Focus St 2.0 turbo with a six speed tx. I feel confident that it will NOT break into the five second bracket to 60 mph; more likely around the 6.5 second mark. And it's a few hundred pounds lighter than the Maverick...

OP
OP

houselog442

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
"The front-drive-only hybrid has a power level better matched to powering only the front wheels. Its 2.5-liter emits more four-cylinder buzz than the quiet 2.0T, but it's not obnoxious."

Too bad they didn't get to do the performance tests for the hybrid. Somebody do drag and roll race between the 2 already! Can't wait!

They also said they got 29mpg on the highway and 21mpg observed. Does anyone know if they are calculating these MPG numbers themselves?

MT got 7.6s
Mr. Boom got 6.56
CD got 5.9s

I think the best test was the one from Motorweek. They got a 6.2 in 0-60 on a track. I think in the real world with an average joe, an AWD ecoboost Maverick with 4K towing will probably do 6.5-7.0 second 0-60.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree that all road cars should be limited to 100 mph and not able to bypass it with a tuner.

Sponsored

rickon66

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2.0 Turbo
Remember when Jimmy Carter was president and national speed limit was 55. I have never tested my XL EB 2.0 for zero to sixty but it feels really strong, especially when merging onto the interstate in the range of 50 to 80 mph. I did not agree with Jimmy on that 55 thing.

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

MT got 7.6s
Mr. Boom got 6.56
CD got 5.9s

The rollout figure could explain some of the difference. This is now the standard of measurement:

C/D TEST RESULTS
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
60 mph: 5.9 sec
1/4-Mile: 14.5 sec @ 95 mph
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.

I trust C&D more than those others.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Remember when Jimmy Carter was president and national speed limit was 55. I have never tested my XL EB 2.0 for zero to sixty but it feels really strong, especially when merging onto the interstate in the range of 50 to 80 mph. I did not agree with Jimmy on that 55 thing.
55 mph national speed limit went into effect January of 1974, 3 years before Carter took office. I remember as a kid our yearly trips out west took one day longer to get there & get back.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you bought a Tesla mpg would be irrelevant...
Correct, you would need to worry about a few other things instead; range, charging stations, charging capabilities at residence, cost of the electricity, and time to charge.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
55 mph national speed limit went into effect January of 1974, 3 years before Carter took office. I remember as a kid our yearly trips out west took one day longer to get there & get back.
IIRC it was a reaction to the OPEC oil embargoes. I still remember long lines and odd/even days for buying your gas. Good thing we don't have to rely on those guys for any of our oil anymore :rolleyes:

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
it's faster to just buy a modern sport bike without the necessary skill or experience to ride it. We need more organ donors! :devilish:

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
0-60 times matter? Im only concerned about 60 foot times :D

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a Maverick with the ecoboost and the 8 speed auto and it does shift pretty smoothly. That surprised me because my last vehicle was a 2020 Escape with the 1.5L ecoboost and the 8 speed and that 8 speed constantly hunted gears and even started downshifting from 5th to 4th harshly to the point where I had to take it in to get get the transmission flashed to reset it.

The 8 speed on the Maverick shifts far better so far and doesn’t quite hunt for gears like the Escape did.
Weird since it's the same trans, isn't it? I wonder if the trans has to hunt so much on the escape since it's working with a lower HP engine?

OP
OP

houselog442

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Weird since it's the same trans, isn't it? I wonder if the trans has to hunt so much on the escape since it's working with a lower HP engine?
that may be, but I suspect it’s more about how they programmed the transmission to shift than the engine. It seems these days the transmission performance is more about programming than anything else. The ZF transmissions on the rwd drive European and Stallantis vehicles have the best shifting transmissions out there because they don’t seem to program them to get the best mpg around. Many transmissions from ford and other companies are being over programmed for MPG and that is where the constant gear hunting comes from.
Sponsored