Nightowl

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks dedmann! 👍🏼. My bike is a Kona sutra ltd small with 2 inch wide fenders. There's not much clearance between the top of the front fender and the bottom of the downtube but if the bars are turned almost 90 degrees for fitment on a tailgate pad, that gap doesn't matter i would guess. 🤔

dedMann

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4/LUX,60 Bug,ElementSC 5mt,Buell XB12X,BICYCLES!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've built & owned many Konas. One of my favorite brands. The only thing you should look for is the lower edge of the fender touching anything unprotected. I will likely still use my 1UP rack in the hitch receiver from my Element. If I do choose to go the pad route; I will put clear protective film on it. The desert is not kind to pads & paint.

Jlemke

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been planning to do this very same thing with my truck, even researched the pads and came up with the same one as the OP.

I am going to have my tailgate wrapped in clear vinyl to prevent any potenial scratches since my pad will probably stay on my truck permanently (we ride 3-4 times per week year round - thanks Cali).
With riding like this would you not consider an actual bike rack? Or even building one like in the "Hack your Maverick" videos?

profecia

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With riding like this would you not consider an actual bike rack? Or even building one like in the "Hack your Maverick" videos?
Yup! Or why not just buy a bike rack that connects to the hitch? There are plenty out there. Then you can use the bed to carry other stuff for that road trip!

Sponsored

Squirrelfight

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen Tacoma
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I plan to use my trailer hitch 1UP rack for my bikes as well as a tailgate pad if I'm transporting more than 2 bikes. The tailgate pads are cheaper than a hitch rack but they can over time scratch your bike's downtube and fork stanchions as well.

cmaz44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Do you think this pad is suitable for mountain bikes and surfboards? I do both quite often and really like the looks of this pad.

dedMann

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4/LUX,60 Bug,ElementSC 5mt,Buell XB12X,BICYCLES!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you think this pad is suitable for mountain bikes and surfboards? I do both quite often and really like the looks of this pad.
This pad features velcro tethers on the top of the tailgate. I'd Imagine you could use velcros to secure a surf board

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looking good. I'm debating using a pad or tow hitch rack.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This pad features velcro tethers on the top of the tailgate. I'd Imagine you could use velcros to secure a surf board
The tethers will fit around a surboard?

We bought a hitch mounted rack because we'll be transporting full-suspension e-bikes. I don't think there is a tailgate pad out there that has a tether that will wrap all the way around the huge downtube (which houses a battery) of bikes like ours.

Sponsored

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Yup! Or why not just buy a bike rack that connects to the hitch? There are plenty out there. Then you can use the bed to carry other stuff for that road trip!
Pretty simple and straightforward answer to this for me. The primary selling point for me of the Mav is that 200" length. Add a bike rack and you're longer than a Ranger. No thanks.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The tethers will fit around a surboard?

We bought a hitch mounted rack because we'll be transporting full-suspension e-bikes. I don't think there is a tailgate pad out there that has a tether that will wrap all the way around the huge downtube (which houses a battery) of bikes like ours.
Uh! Short tether? Think about the seat belt extenders the airlines used to have for the Xtra chubby guys!

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Uh! Short tether? Think about the seat belt extenders the airlines used to have for the Xtra chubby guys!
Sure there are ways to extend the tether, some people have sewn on an extension (from seeing pics on e-bike forums) but I don't recall seeing any sort of belt extender used. I don't trust myself enough to do it correctly/securely when a hitch mount rack is an easy alternative.

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, one of the draws is the maverick is small. Adding a 4 bike hitch carrier would be huge. And a pain in the ass to take on and off every other day. The truck will be used for daily errands and parallel parked into city parking spots.

The tail gate pad is awesome b/c it stays on the truck and bikes can be 'tossed' in a few moments but the pad can be left on the truck and not worried about.

If we were to do an acutal bike-camping trip we would probably add a hitch carrier or a roof box for gear - which ever is cheaper. But 95% of our bike rides are day trips from home base.

Last edited:

Mystuff

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
I'm hoping I can fit a Rad wagon 4 in the back even if I need to make a custom mount. I hope the length will work.
Sponsored