First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah I don't get that either. So far the Maverick has been every bit capable in a work truck capacity as any Ranger or F150 even with the smaller bed from my personal experience. The only place it lags behind is in heavy towing capacity. The other place it probably also lags is in the offroad category. If the Maverick had better ground clearance and a locking rear differental in the FX4 package I'd possibly change my opinion on that. It can get the job done from what I've seen but it is not going to be an easy or easier task than with an offroad designed Ranger or F150.
Agree with you on heavy towing. No argument there, if you need to tow heavy a 1/2 or bigger is a requirement. But a stock F150 is not a "great" offroad vehicle either to some degree because of its size/weight. And ertainly not in stock form unless you get into the Raptor which is an entirely different category again. From some of the videos, I have seen the Maverick computer does a great job of transferring power to the traction wheel through the braking system (applying brake to the wheel with less traction). Get the FX4 package, 2" lift, better than OEM tires and I think the Maverick would do okay in a lot of situations off road. No, not an extreme rock crawler or high-speed desert runner but capable on some off-road trails for sure. And potentially more nimble in tight conditions than a heavier F150 would be. There is an article out there somewhere where they took a Tacoma with the TRD package and a Titan with an offroad package out on a desert road with a RIdgeline. Both the Toyota and the Nissans shocks completely failed early in the trip. THe Ridgelines were damaged but made the round trip without completely becoming unhinged.
Sponsored

jmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Suspension. You will never get true 33”s or 35’s or a proper lift or even likely locking diffs on a Mav which for many in the OR world means it’s a pavement princess. Which it totally is. And that OK.

you will notice Hyundai went with Sports Adventure Vehicle like there are options in this NEW category

payload and tow capacity

it’s not just an ego thing. It’s a thing.
So offroad capability is your definition of "true truck"?

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, the Ranger can add OR suspension components and big tires and or tow 7.5k which is almost double the Mav.

The Mav is a different category. If you're cross-shopping,, you don't really need a traditional mid-size truck like Ranger, Tacoma, Colorado etc. which are far more capable.

I bought the Mav as a DD as it's a smoother ride, and it can perform some minor truckish functions in a pinch. I have no illusions that its nearly as capable as my Tacoma off-road or pulling a trailer or approaches the functionality of having a larger bed

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure but they’re mostly comparing superficial things like step in height and interior etc. and not capabilities

complaining about the ride and height of a body on frame is just kinda silly. That’s the price of admission.
Depends on requirements, in my case the capability of being able to be stepped into allows it to be considered.🤩

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea. I do understand which is why I purchased a Mav as my DD/grocery getter and use my Tacoma for off-roading and F series for work.

If I needed to do all 3 with one vehicle it would be F series or Tacoma but Taco generally too small
Wow, 3 trucks.... you must be rich. Since you dislike it so much have you considered selling it at a profit?

From my perspective the Tacoma is pretty worthless. Terrible MPG, can't haul more than the maverick, has less room in the cab than the maverick, bed is only slightly bigger than a maverick.

What do you haul on a regular basis?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Angry Hippo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hot Pepper Red, FX4, 4k Tow
I plan on doing 'real truck' things like hauling gym equipment in the back of my Maverick and towing a trailer for some of the medium sized jobs (for the big ones I'd want a box truck with a liftgate - even if I had an F150/250 with trailer).

Ever try fitting a treadmill or elliptical in the back of a CX-5 or an Escape? I have. Anything except the smallest treadmill isn't going to happen.

The Maverick, by comparison, will easily transport virtually any treadmill or piece of disassembled home gym equipment.

Ranger was cool but it was far too much 'truck' for what I need and gas mileage stinks.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mav is a truck for those who don’t really need a truck in the traditional sense. Never going to be great off road and lower tow capacity and smaller bed than traditional mid size.

it’s a new category which is OK. Hyundai knows this which is why they called it a Sports Adventure Vehicle. Appears Ford fooled a bunch of people.

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The other day i had my Mav loaded to the top with yard debris, old furniture, and junk from spring clean out. On the way to landfill, I drove by the park where I noticed a rather nice F350… being used as the family minivan to haul a kid to soccer practice. I guess it all depends how you want to use your truck.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Now it’s as capable as an F350.

shoot for the moon little Mav. Lol.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At this point after checking out some other posts I'm pretty sure this guy is just trolling. I have ignored him

Sponsored

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
Mav is a truck for those who don’t really need a truck in the traditional sense. Never going to be great off road and lower tow capacity and smaller bed than traditional mid size.

it’s a new category which is OK. Hyundai knows this which is why they called it a Sports Adventure Vehicle. Appears Ford fooled a bunch of people.

I understand what you're saying, but I think the others arguing with you are also correct.

It's more Truck than car but it's definitely not really in the same class of function as an F150, or even a ranger.

It will do most jobs that people will use a truck for, mostly hauling stuff in the bed. It can still tow decently compared to most cars and SUVs even if it's on the low end compared to most trucks.

It won't be a farm work truck, or haul a trailer full of horses, or a giant boat. It will do the jobs that 75% of truck drivers need from a truck though, which is considerably less. It will haul what most people need to haul, and tow a smaller trailer. (Around here in SC most Trucks never get their feet dirty, or tow anything, most people drive them for show, which is fine, trucks are fun to drive)

The target demographic is people like me. I have land. I need a truck occasionally, but not enough to own a separate truck and car. It's going to be used more for getting kids to school than heavy work duty... But I still need to put bales of straw, loose mulch, bags of concrete, fence posts, and large items that won't fit in a car/SUV in the bed on a semi-regular basis. I'll probably use it to tow materials to the creek: off-road but across tame terrain.

If I had serious heavy duty truck needs I wouldn't get a Maverick. Most people don't. People don't just buy trucks because they have heavy duty needs. They buy them because they like them.

The Aussies have a category they call "Utes". The Subaru Baja would have been considered a Ute. The VW Tarok if they decided to release it there would probably be considered a Ute. Utes are usually beefier than your average car with improved towing or hauling stats but still retain mostly car like attributes.

The Maverick is more truckier than most Utes and certainly looks more like a truck... But it is leaning in the direction of an Ute.

Juzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting On Maverick
Suspension. You will never get true 33”s or 35’s or a proper lift or even likely locking diffs on a Mav which for many in the OR world means it’s a pavement princess. Which it totally is. And that OK.

you will notice Hyundai went with Sports Adventure Vehicle like there are options in this NEW category

payload and tow capacity

it’s not just an ego thing. It’s a thing.
I can't tell if you're trolling or just don't know. The payload of the maverick is up to 1500lbs. That's 345lbs more than the Taco. Also, trucks tend to be less capable off-road as shorter wheel base off-road focused SUVs(high centering). Does that mean that all trucks are pavement princesses? No. The framed trucks generally have better tow ratings, but how many people tow? Now if your concern is the unibody frame warping over time from hauling heavy loads compared to latter frame trucks, or whether the drive train in the Maverick will hold up, those would be my concerns.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Are these trucks? The unibody design is completely intact. Lifts are achieved with a long arm swap or leaf spring swap. And a differential change up front. Prett simple, and mostly bolt on. Only welding really necessary is front shock mounts and track bar. Pretty basic stuff in off road truck circles. Also with the seat folded they have a 6 ft bed.

I have no doubt a maverick could be lifted over 2" it would require fab work like every major lift. Modern cars just have more componets to modify. Most of it is just relocating thing that support things like wiring, coolers, sensors, and plumbing. All it would take to put 33s or even larger is a good spring lift(which we dont have just yet) and a engine cradle(and rear diff cradle) drops. Chassis reinforcements, big brakes, and a transmission upgrade could easily increase the tow rating to 5500lbs or so. Will anyone ever go that far? Probably about 5 people.
Most people will just buy the Maverick because it is just enough truck for them. Similar to my comanche(2200lb payload/5000lb towing).

If it has a bed its a truck.

Amc Eagle SFA long arm
Ford Maverick Maverick vs Ranger - Which is the Better Small Ford Pickup? [Truck King Review] R

Eagle SFA leaf sprung unibody
Ford Maverick Maverick vs Ranger - Which is the Better Small Ford Pickup? [Truck King Review] tumblr_oldo88J5og1u8imavo1_1280

unibody custom mustang ute(maybe if the bed is under 4ft its a ute)
Ford Maverick Maverick vs Ranger - Which is the Better Small Ford Pickup? [Truck King Review] h6IpbuQHaEK?w=304&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1

custom body on frame FRONT wheel drive truck
Ford Maverick Maverick vs Ranger - Which is the Better Small Ford Pickup? [Truck King Review] 1648673434487

Factory Ford Durango
Ford Maverick Maverick vs Ranger - Which is the Better Small Ford Pickup? [Truck King Review] 1648673544886

Caddilac tow truck
Ford Maverick Maverick vs Ranger - Which is the Better Small Ford Pickup? [Truck King Review] kK4yxPgHaFj?w=259&h=194&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1

A bazillion wheels and is hauling a helicopter.
Ford Maverick Maverick vs Ranger - Which is the Better Small Ford Pickup? [Truck King Review] tN-i8ygHaEl?w=297&h=144&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1

Hatonapug

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am thiiiiiis close to just buying a 99-14 or so ranger with <150k on it in the 5-10k range and riding it till Ford can actually get me a Lightning (25-27 I guess). That or just buying a Santa Cruz. Honestly, Santa Cruz has all the features I'm getting the lux pack for in my Mav and only winds up being about $1000-3000 more... AND they are actually AVAILABLE. Not sure if they're getting marked up like Ford's, but I may find out next week (gonna try and test drive one). Mileage is the drawback, but it'd be fine until I can get an electric truck.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I am thiiiiiis close to just buying a 99-14 or so ranger with <150k on it in the 5-10k range and riding it till Ford can actually get me a Lightning (25-27 I guess). That or just buying a Santa Cruz. Honestly, Santa Cruz has all the features I'm getting the lux pack for in my Mav and only winds up being about $1000-3000 more... AND they are actually AVAILABLE. Not sure if they're getting marked up like Ford's, but I may find out next week (gonna try and test drive one). Mileage is the drawback, but it'd be fine until I can get an electric truck.
This one has decent miles and the v6 with a 4.10 axle ratio. Should be a real scooter.
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/d/trenton-2006-ford-ranger-xlt-2dr/7459143799.html
Ford Maverick Maverick vs Ranger - Which is the Better Small Ford Pickup? [Truck King Review] 01717_28bgsJpQdzLz_0ak07J_300x300

Might even be good for keeping around as beater/collector/worker/loaner after you get your lightning.
Also there has been companies converting rangers to electric for quite a while now.
Sponsored