First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question - Do you think the Maverick will hold its value down the road? I own a 23 Hybrid with currently 20k miles on it and I have only owned it for 8 months. We put on a lot of highway miles. My concern is that in 2-4 years i will have 60-100K miles and the value of the maverick will depreciate greatly. Should I be concerned with this?

My maverick was $30K out the door and I'm trying to make the best investment on a car that will hold its value. The Maverick is unknown.
Sponsored

mav_kev

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No 2-4 year old car with 60-100k miles is going to "hold its value", relative to any comparable age vehicle with average mileage (20-30k). Age, mileage, and condition are the factors that determine the value of a used vehicle. If one of those factors is outside the "normal" range on the spectrum, your value will drop accordingly.

Jim D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius, Tacoma
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There will be competition for this market segment by rival car manufacturers. That tends to dilute used car values and lower their price. Cars/trucks generally are not “investments” with the exception of classic antique models.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just sold my 22 Ecoboost XL with 23k miles to Carvana for more than I paid for it (not including tax, title, etc). That being said I think that window of opportunity is dwindling as production ramps up. The fact that the order bank for 2024 models is still open is kinda telling about demand and the effect that price increases have had on this "affordable" truck. With 100k miles on a Maverick I wouldn't hold my breath especially if there are major updates for 2025 to include an AWD hybrid option. "Vehicle" and "investment" really don't belong in the same sentence when it comes to mass produced cars and trucks so just drive it and treat it as the necessity it is, transportation.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question - Do you think the Maverick will hold its value down the road? I own a 23 Hybrid with currently 20k miles on it and I have only owned it for 8 months. We put on a lot of highway miles. My concern is that in 2-4 years i will have 60-100K miles and the value of the maverick will depreciate greatly. Should I be concerned with this?

My maverick was $30K out the door and I'm trying to make the best investment on a car that will hold its value. The Maverick is unknown.
At $30k you can consider it a throw away and drive it until wheels fall off. Or trade it every 75k miles. If it holds value at $30k in 4 years that $30k probably will be worth $18k. Actually a 2year lease may pencil out even with milage hit.

Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do not treat a vehicle like an investment, especially a normal vehicle like the Ford Maverick. It's a depreciating asset. It will not make you money. The ones that do are rare exceptions and it's usually for the oddest reasons that make no sense at all or because rich idiots desire them.

The market is in for a serious shock in the next 5-10 years. Right now you have used vehicles with 60k on them costing just as much as new vehicles with interest rates that used to be considered bad car loan status from sketchy dealers in poverty areas. It won't last forever and those Carvana like places are dying quick. Vroom and multiple others have already announced they are no longer purchasing vehicles and some have even filed for bankruptcy. The ones that are still paying more for vehicles are only doing it in certain locations.

Lastly, if you have 20k miles on a '23, and you are averaging 20k a year... your vehicle will definitely not hold it's value and even now it will be seen in the market as a high mileage for it's year. For it to make a difference you'd want to be well under the average and 20k is over it.

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As has been stated... not an Investment.
All mine have been transportation, getting me from A to B. Not to say I don't enjoy the trip! 😎

Jerry

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick is no different than any other vehicle. I think if you were one of the original order holders who were price protected into a MY23 Maverick your purchase has some "insulation" in that an MY24 Maverick costs about 20% more than what your Maverick cost.

All that does is help offset your loss though - it isn't going to retain value above, at, or even near your original purchase price. I plan to have the Maverick in my family until the wheels fall off so I'm not too concerned with the resale value down the line.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the Maverick will hold it's value well over time, just because trucks typically do, and because the pricing on the Maverick has gone up so much since launch, and because to step up to a midsize truck is a massive increase in cost. You can look around at some very old pickups and see that they are still getting good money. Is the Maverick some kind of money making investment long term? No, but you'll probably end up better off down the road than if you owned some generic crossover.

Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are a few reasons why I believe the Maverick will age very well in value.

1. It's a truck and trucks hold their value very well. At least up here.
2. If costs continue to rise as they have been doing (mine jumped almost 10% from MY23 to MY24) that will blunt depreciation some.

Last edited:

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP, nobody knows. Because it's the future (ask Yoda - "always in motion, the future is"). You'll get answers that range from wishful thinking to dark pessimism. Then you'll have to take some advice from The Matrix - "You're just going to have to make up your own damn mind".

Here are some things we just don't know right now, because it's the future.

• Is Maverick demand endless, or is there a point of market saturation?
  • Will Ford continue building and selling 16,000 Mavericks a month, which is almost 200,000 a year? Which is a darn big number for a compact truck. And it's a lot of used Mavericks in the future.
  • How many Mavericks are going to fleets right now, and will they be dumped on the used market around the time you sell? Fleet sales always hurt resale in the long term. Has anybody seen numbers for Maverick fleet sales?
  • What will the competition bring to market? Including Ford, which last week was talking about a skunk works to bring inexpensive BEV trucks to the market, big and small.
  • How will Maverick hybrids age? Will they be problem free? Or will there be splashy media stories the year you sell about "Ford Maverick hybrids dying en masse because of XYZ"?
  • What "black swans" are coming? I traded my last Volvo XC40 for a new one in the middle of the pandemic and was laughing all the way to the bank. Today my XC40 doesn't come close to the resale of the last one - because that "black swan" event is over.
  • If production exceeds demand, will Ford incentivize new Mavericks? Because that instantly depresses used values.
Cars are usually (not always - if they are special) depreciating assets. The more miles, the more they depreciate. There are sites out there that will give you historic depreciation rates by Manufacturer and sometimes by vehicle. A Google search on "car depreciation" will bring you thousands of sites on the subject.

My guess, which is as uniformed as every other guess on this thread, is that Maverick will see average depreciation. I base that on production seeming to be catching up with demand. And on the fact that the Maverick is not "special" in the collector car sense. It's an automotive appliance. A good one, and an affordable one that a lot of us really like and appreciate - but in the end just another car.

Here's an interesting take...

https://www.iseecars.com/cars-that-hold-their-value-study

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

the maverick will hold value somewhat better than average because it's good at what it does and there's currently no direct competition.

if you actually don't need a bed, probably several compact and midsize suvs will be ahead of the maverick in terms of % of original value retained, but they all cost more than a maverick to start with, such as rav4 or cr-v hybrids.

Kritas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you have a first-year model, better hang onto it. Everyone knows about the "first year mystique". The value of these models always skyrockets.

Right? ;)

Gray Goose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Terrain Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The Bronco Sport may lend some insights. They are hitting 3 year mark and several on the auto market places with similar miles in the $17K-25K range. Maverick pricing is lower than Bronco Sport, so the range is likely a bit on the high side. My magic 8 ball deluxe says $19K in 2 years.
Sponsored