First Name
Hendricus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have seen some reviews stating that the quality of the Maverick backup camera is not that good. As I am still waiting on my order, for those of you that have a Maverick, what are your thoughts on the backup camera and the image quality? Is the camera upgradable via aftermarket options?
Sponsored

minnow

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Miata, 2007 V8 4Runner, 2019 GTI SE 6MT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think there's a possibility that it's a little overblown. From the videos I have seen, it's about on par with my Mk7.5 GTI, and no one has complained about that. Adding bright LED reverse lights and keeping the lens clean would go a long way to improving quality. As for upgradeability, is there any chance the Escape or Bronco Sport cameras would slot into the housing?

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have seen some reviews stating that the quality of the Maverick backup camera is not that good. As I am still waiting on my order, for those of you that have a Maverick, what are your thoughts on the backup camera and the image quality? Is the camera upgradable via aftermarket options?
I think it is fine. I don’t see any difference between it and my wife’s 2014 Nissan Murano Platinum.

I did upgrade the backup and cargo bulbs to LED to ensure there was adequate lighting at night. Works great!

Maverick1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, BMW X4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would love to know if it’s upgradable also. The backup camera on my BMW X 4 is amazing. Would love to put one of those cameras in there.

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
I wonder if you could rewire the camera to use an aftermarket one mounted just over the license plate. A really cool mod could be one that replaces the rear Ford emblem altogether and rotates/flips so that it works when the tailgate is down.

Sponsored

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't have an issue with it and appreciate the moving guidelines. I back out of my driveway in the dark every morning and see just fine.....but then again I wasn't expecting a 4k HD backup camera in the Maverick. Lets me know what is behind me and nice for backing into spots. I'm good.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I installed a backup camera on my Mazda 3 that I purchased on ebay for $17.99 that is 10x better than the backup camera on my Maverick. The backup camera in my 2019 Chevy Trax is even better. This is the truth. The Maverick camera is really crappy.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What reviews? What's supposed to be not good about the backup camera?

Sponsored

EMD_Driver

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 / 2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think it is fine. I don’t see any difference between it and my wife’s 2014 Nissan Murano Platinum.

I did upgrade the backup and cargo bulbs to LED to ensure there was adequate lighting at night. Works great!
I did the same thing.. Big improvement.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Now that I think of it maybe its not the camera as much as the crappy display on the head unit.

AeroMech21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT (Carbonized Grey)
It's not the best... blurry or low res is the best way to describe it (480p vs 1080 etc.)... I've been driving mine for a week or so and use it for parking in the city/ backing up out of driveway etc. It could be better for sure.. it works, but I would expect just a touch better camera quality assuming how cheap a small camera would run. I just want better clarity and I don't think it's the center display inside that causes it but I could be wrong.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well shit it seems 50/50 mixed opinions I don’t know what to think. Very curious to see myself when I get it.
I agree that the idea of cheapening the camera itself as a cost cutting measure makes no sense. Unless it’s different beast from retail aftermarket cams that are easily $25 or less for 720p which is probably higher res than the display… maybe it was a matter of supply chain woes for specific cameras they use?
Or it’s literally the same cam as other cars in this class and some homies are either used to grandeur or got some lemons?
I installed and wired a $25 720p reverse cam in my 2003 Accord and it’s legit. No turn lines of course but it has it’s own bright LEDs and I can see easily at night. I fully expect the Mav cam to be worse, because my $300 1080p 10” head unit I installed in my Accord has wireless carplay lol. The idea that my 2003 Accord has a better infotainment screen is hilarious to me.

Last edited:

Anton4

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think it’s fine, but I’m not too fussy. The only issue I have is, when it rains, the droplets stay on the lens and make the image very blurry.
Sponsored