First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a hybrid for about two month. Great small pickup car. I used to love it by the time i stock in snow driving uphill. Than, i felt embarrassed and powerful, my maverick Hybrid love start to fade. (something like this - you got the drama. šŸ˜„ )
Next, I got home and asked myself. Why I got 2WD ? I always had AWD or 4x4. my answer was simple. I wanted to save money. I wanted a car under 20k that takes 42 mpg. I WAS WRONG.
I should have put those numbers in excel before i purchase hybrid. i could pay 5k more and get ecoboost 4x4 option and spend extra
$2,604 in fuel per 100k.
I assumed cost per gallon in $3.50. Driving hybrid 100k miles will cost $8,333 on EB 100k $10,937. Depending how and where you drive what are your calculations? Why would you choose EB vs Hybrid or Hybrid vs EB? Thank you!

1671666879926.png
šŸ˜„
This really was not an economic equation for me. I wanted the eCVT and smooth acceleration where I'm always in the correct gear. And THAT came true. I love the way this thing drives. Second, I don't live in a snow prone area. We get 2 snow storms a year. No big deal I don't go out on those days. Third I'm going to save in the log run. No service intervals on the rear drive equipment, A simpler rear suspension. Better gas mileage from less drive drag, better gas mileage from hybrid. A more reliable 4 cylinder engine - 10 years of service. No high pressure fuel pump to fail, no direct injection to cause carbon buildup, no turbo to maintain. These are all of the reasons I chose the Hybrid with 2 wheel drive. Even if I could get the hybrid with AWD I would still only buy the FWD version. I just avoid the hills in snow. If I lived in the country - open space I'd probably buy a Tacoma to play in the sand and the mud. But for the City - FWD Hybrid is an amazing option.
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry man. It's not possible to get 32mpg tank after tank in an Maverick Ecoboost unless you are going by the optimistic trip computer.
It's entirely possible. Whether it's possible for your use case, or whether it's repeatable at statistically significant frequency, that's a whole other matter.

Starwatcher

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well... I live in Socal so snow isn't an issue.. mostly to haul camping gear and baby stuff.. so there's a user case for you. Maybe if we go to the mountains, I could see us getting stuck, but then I'd need chains anyways. My little Honda fit drove circles around stuck 4x4's without chains in Big Bear during a bad blizzard..
Yep. Fwd 2wd does quite well in the snow. I had a a fwd Subaru and drove around all the stuck 4wd and snow tire equipped cars. And I had regular tires. If I really need it in northern Arizona, I can put snow tires on the front.

Starwatcher

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry man. It's not possible to get 32mpg tank after tank in an Maverick Ecoboost unless you are going by the optimistic trip computer.
My dealer wants me to switch to EB for my new ā€˜23 order. No. My ā€˜22 hybrid is the best vehicle I have ever owned. And I will not give up the 52mpg in town and 35-40 highway. If I have to switch, I will do without it. Maybe buy a Honda hybrid. I get 30 mpg on my 5.0 Mustang. (Hwy) With the Mustang and ā€˜22 Mav, donā€™t need an EB. A second hybrid would be great, but that or nothing. Donā€™t know if Ford is unable to make enough hybrids or just unwilling. But they are losing a great deal of customer good will that they will not get back.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Blizzak. What did people do before when all cars were rear wheel drive? They got snow tires.

Go get snow tires, dude.
We invented the sport of drifting and mastered it at a landspeed of 11 mph with a wheelspeed of 70mph.

Show of hands. How many people use reverse wheelspeed to control the stop of pulling forward int a parking spot.

Sponsored

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buffalo NY area AWD ecosport in drive way. With snow tires. Still staying home for a while . Ordered a XLT hybrid too. I must be crazy. Edit Gas is bout 3.30 unless I go to India Rez at 3.09 last week any way.
Ford Maverick Let's talk numbers. Hybrid vs Ecoboost $$,$$$ IMG_20221224_122211107

Last edited:

fozcycle

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have an EB Lariat in central Florida. Get 24-27 mpg running around as I am retired. Last August I got 32 mpg from a road trip to Louisville KY. I am very happy with the Lariatā€™s performance as I drive in economy all the time.

Ford Maverick Let's talk numbers. Hybrid vs Ecoboost $$,$$$ 7090AC24-118B-4116-AB85-0785B5AEED48

hj630

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But in this case, hybrid is cheaper, which is always the opposite for other cars. So you are saving at the beginning. To me itā€™s no brainer

xncrman

Here is my two cents from living in Michigan. I own a 2022 Maverick EB FX4. No ECO driving mode. I'm retired and drive about 50/50 HWY. The Maverick is a brick on the highway for gas mileage if driving into head winds 22mpg / down wind 26mpg. Just around town driving best average MPG is 25. This is actual calculator Miles/gallon fill up (NOT Ford Magic MPG on the dash). I have all the receipts.

I am waiting on my original Maverick Hybrid Lariat order which is schedule for first week in January 2023 build date. 455 days and counting. I bought the FX4 from same dealer that offered me the vehicle at MSRP back end of October 2022 just encase I never got my ordered Hybrid Lariat. I really love the vehicle for what it is and chose it to fit my lifestyle needs. I am looking forward to side by side comparison next year.

So when it comes to fuel savings I expect double that on my Hybrid over the FX4. Front wheel drive versus the AWD I am sure there will be some difference BUT my experience in snow, the FX4 is mostly in FWD mode even if I select the SLIPPERY ROAD. ABS braking will be the same.

TIRES make a big difference and are not even close to be the same. I do not like the stock tires on the FX4 but don't plan on changing if I sell it next year. I have already made my choice of winters brand and model tires for the Hybrid FWD and plan on having two sets of tires and rims since this will be my 15 year vehicle. Plenty of real road track tested Tire videos on YouTube. OH Yea I am retired and don't plan on buying new for a long time.

Now for you all debating the savings. For those that make plenty of new cash and don't mind spending it buy what ever gassy vehicle you like best. If you drive in mountains with months of snow you better buy the EB 4x4. If you have less than 2% days of UN-plowed snow roads FWD just fine.

As for me I am taking the $30K-$40K+ savings from not buying full size F150 or Chevy Silverado ALONG with my fuel savings and keeping it in the bank!!! KA-CHING! šŸ’²šŸ’²:cool:

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dang, really??? Fuel mileage? You should all drive what I driveā€¦ a 32ā€™ class C motor home, E450 chassis, v-10 triton. On a good day, 9 mpg. But the real reason we want the hybrid is because it is flat towable behind the motor home where the EB can not be. It has to be on a tow dolly or a trailerā€¦ in the mean while while we wait on it, we are driving and towing our 2007 Honda CRV.
Not true. The EB also comes in a 2 wheel drive.

Sponsored

May5Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
12-26-2022 Ocala Florida regular gas is around 2.69 to 2.89.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's funny how buyers decide what to buy. Convertibles only get bought in the summer, as if winter will never come. Hybrid only get bought when gas is expensive, as if it will never go back down, and V8s only get bought when gas is cheap, as if it will never go back up.

Joe Kelly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Triumph TR-6, 2009 Accord, 2017 Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
$3.28 at Costco St. Peterā€™s ,Mo

Xbbqpitmaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Seltos S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last edited:

Xbbqpitmaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Seltos S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Edinburg, TX today

Ford Maverick Let's talk numbers. Hybrid vs Ecoboost $$,$$$ E4F7EDFC-71E7-4171-951C-2874FD357F64
Sponsored