First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I remember, Koons Ford posted here on the forum. He was blasted for some crazy dealer processing fee.
Koons Ford in Woodbridge VA is the latest.

Here's the link

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah I bet they gave all their employees 25-40% raises too right? No, their operating costs haven’t risen like everyone tries to claim. My ex-wife is a controller for the largest automotive group in Virginia and I specifically asked this. She said they are just ripping people off because they can, plain and simple. This is someone who does their financial management.
I ordered one back in June. The day before it arrived Caviler Ford called and put $7,500 markup on it after I waited like the rest of you. Lawyers couldn’t do anything because they said there’s no consumer protections in this country that actually do anything. So yeah they are fn scumbags and people will eventually start getting hurt if they already haven’t.
So what you are saying is that somehow, like magic, car dealerships are totally immune to the inflationary environment and supply-chain issues that every other business is experiencing? Rent and power cost increases, employee shortages, and the supply chain issues which have made it much much more difficult for them to get hands on product stock just aren't affecting them? Yeah, I'll take your word for it because they aren't just handing out 25%-40% raises (as if that is somehow relevant) according to your ex-wife :LOL:

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, they're scumbags.
Well... As always, it's in the eye of the beholder, but 1 thing for sure, car companies have tried for decades to go to direct sales to avoid having millions of cars sitting on dealership lots for months which costs a tremendous amount of $$$. And this time, it looks to be coming true. I would not be at all surprised to see the number of car dealerships shrink dramatically over the next couple of years. So I suppose the dealerships and sales people better try to make as much coin as possible, while they're able.

OP
OP
Ozuye10

Ozuye10

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick, 22 4Runner, 16 Mazda6, 12 Camry, 04 R
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So what you are saying is that somehow, like magic, car dealerships are totally immune to the inflationary environment and supply-chain issues that every other business is experiencing? Rent and power cost increases, employee shortages, and the supply chain issues which have made it much much more difficult for them to get hands on product stock just aren't affecting them? Yeah, I'll take your word for it because they aren't just handing out 25%-40% raises (as if that is somehow relevant) according to your ex-wife :LOL:
like any other business, they are adjusting for inflation. They are making higher profit margins than any other time, well beyond inflation levels. Yes my ex-wife would know better than anyone on this board.

Sponsored

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
like any other business, they are adjusting for inflation. They are making higher profit margins than any other time, well beyond inflation levels. Yes my ex-wife would know better than anyone on this board.
Is it supposed to be news that they are experiencing higher profit margins, on less sales overall? Sales volume has dropped >15% and their overhead costs have gone up, they only have one lever to pull to balance that equation out (increasing sales prices). I certainly don't feel sorry for them, but they are doing exactly what every other business (and individual) is doing at this time to try to survive in a unique time. Those businesses that are legitimately doing unethical things (charging an ADM is not that, in my opinion) will not survive long-term.

Few things I dislike more than the ridiculous dealership car sales model, but I'm not going to hate on them for doing exactly what I am doing at the same time. There are plenty of dealerships out there committed to long-term viability who are not charging ADMs; buy from them.

OP
OP
Ozuye10

Ozuye10

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick, 22 4Runner, 16 Mazda6, 12 Camry, 04 R
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is it supposed to be news that they are experiencing higher profit margins, on less sales overall? Sales volume has dropped >15% and their overhead costs have gone up, they only have one lever to pull to balance that equation out (increasing sales prices). I certainly don't feel sorry for them, but they are doing exactly what every other business (and individual) is doing at this time to try to survive in a unique time. Those businesses that are legitimately doing unethical things (charging an ADM is not that, in my opinion) will not survive long-term.

Few things I dislike more than the ridiculous dealership car sales model, but I'm not going to hate on them for doing exactly what I am doing at the same time. There are plenty of dealerships out there committed to long-term viability who are not charging ADMs; buy from them.
I literally agreed to the $5k market adjustment and so did they. Then they had 3 other salesman contact me driving the price up to $15k over msrp. Make all the excuses you want mate, they are complete shitheads and can go F themselves.

jbpoole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Engine
Undecided

The dealers can save a ton of money due to lower floor plan and advertising costs. The vast majority of their profit is from parts, service and used vehicles.

We can research what's available and order online. The dealerships can always lay off the unneeded, obsolete sales people. Walmart is always hiring...

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I literally agreed to the $5k market adjustment and so did they. Then they had 3 other salesman contact me driving the price up to $15k over msrp. Make all the excuses you want mate, they are complete shitheads and can go F themselves.
I'm not even disagreeing you, it sucks you wasted your time and I wouldn't do business with them either. Luckily I don't have to because there are literally thousands of other Ford dealerships. That doesn't change the point of that post: that your round-about anecdote suggesting that dealerships are magically immune to the inflationary and supply-chain issues that affect everybody else doesn't make sense.

Exercise your freedom as a consumer and take your business elsewhere, but don't shocked when a business - selling a super popular truck, that some of us ordered 8+ months ago and still are not close to getting, in the middle of the greatest supply chain crisis and hyperinflation in most of our lifetimes - may be playing games to get market value.

Last edited:

thin_crimson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I work for a powersports dealer. We routinely charge over ADM simply because we’re able to get it. If there’s something we can’t sell with ADM, we sell it at MSRP and sometimes lower. No one who has ever bought from us has complained to us that they were screwed or anything similar. It’s the contrary; people love us and we have lots of repeat business. And in full disclosure, we’ve had people walk away because they didn’t want to pay ADM; and there’s usually someone else to buy the unit a few days later.

Sponsored

slooose42

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra 5.7 4wheel drive
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had 4 salesmen call me today regarding a Maverick XLT. First began with $5k over msrp of $29k. Then $7,500, and then $10,000. We finished out at $42,700 and I laughed at them and requested to be placed on the do not call list. Some smart person went in there and paid like $12k over asking shortly there after. People really need to stop paying these prices. 🙄
What I had kinda along the same line. I sold my Toyota Tundra to Downtown Ford in Sacramento one afternoon and I mentioned I was probably going to buy a Ford Maverick because the the Ranger was a little too big. No pressure then. About 7:30 8 o'clock that evening I got a call from some woman claiming she was with Downtown Ford wanting to sell me a New Maverick right now. All I had to do was put $500 down and she could order it, all she needed was my credit card number, right now. The thing that caught my attention first is that she was in a big hurry. Now a ain't the smartest dude but thank goodness I was smart enough to basically hang up on her. Now I don't know where in the hell she was from but I guess we all have to be on our toes.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
I could care less what they charge, I found a dealer willing to honor X-plan pricing on an order but they're also selling their dealer stock units for $10k over and I don't blame them. I also run a side business and although I provide services, if I sold goods I would definitely raise my prices if I had less access to them. Most people who are salty didn't have the foresight to place an order and just expect dealers to not look out for their own best interest which is ridiculous. Guess what, if someone is willing to pay 10k over for a Maverick, how could you blame the dealer?? Do you think it's your RIGHT to be sold a Maverick at MSRP when someone is willing to pay more? The argument is pretty ridiculous
AGREE. I won't pay MSRP. An additional markup is even more of a no sell flag for me.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Super Duty and Maverick XLT
Comparing TP and a frivolous purchase of the hottest vehicle on the market currently is ridiculous. Also, by your logic, you're lumping together all brands and types of TP, recycled TP, 1 ply TP, 2 ply TP 3 ply TP, no name store brand, high end. By your logic we're talking about NO vehicles available whatsoever to purchase which is far from the case. There are so many cars to buy out there, so many at MSRP if you really want, so many below MSRP if you really want. Dealers near me are selling 2021 leftover Hyundais, Fords, Mazdas, you could walk in there tomorrow and say, hey, I didn't get the hottest freaking vehicle on the market because I was dumb and didn't order one but I can get a good deal on this Hyundai since I apparently NEED a vehicle. People who NEED something don't have the luxury of being picky which is what you're implying.

Your argument is trash and it's not even an argument, you're comparing apples to frisbees.
Dude. You've expressed your point-of-view ad nauseam (and in about 20 posts in this one thread alone). I respect anyone's right to their opinion but enough already.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Most of the typical dealerships costs are fixed or have only increased slightly.
Real estate taxes, mortgage (if any), utilities, insurance probably all pretty stable.

I'm guessing most new car dealers are selling something like 20% less new units, but with 100% more gross profit. Are they sharing that wealth with their sales force, you ask? Hell nah.

Sponsored