Sponsored

Instinctively reaching for a shift lever... is it just me?

Nomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I'm literally just a few days into actually having my truck, and I love the crap out of this thing -- but every time I go to park the Maverick, I keep instinctively reaching for a shift lever to put it in park and grasping air. Then, hoping no one noticed, turning the knob to put it in park. 😆

I can't be the only one who has done this.
Nope! Between that and having to use a key is driving me crazy but I will eventually get use to it....I hope!!!

"They say it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks "
Sponsored

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I'm literally just a few days into actually having my truck, and I love the crap out of this thing -- but every time I go to park the Maverick, I keep instinctively reaching for a shift lever to put it in park and grasping air. Then, hoping no one noticed, turning the knob to put it in park. 😆

I have had my Maverick 14 months and 33k miles. And I still will reach for a floor shif lever occasionally. Muscle memory be what it be.

Ford Maverick Instinctively reaching for a shift lever... is it just me? c57a074b-6b58-4b05-8c0e-9687dc96a88b_text

flynomore

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 F350, '15 Mazda 6,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of the biggest hurdles to moving to EV driving is getting used to one-pedal driving. That has put off a lot of older people simply because of those decades of muscle memory.
My son has a Mach E GT and I love the one pedal driving! Takes no time to get used to it and when I get back in my car I have to remember I'm not driving his car or I'll roll right through that stop sign.

Braderick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT, RAV4 Hybrid, KIA EV6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All of us.
Don’t believe anyone who says they like it, or got use to it.
They are earth demons.

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I definitely would step on the non-existent third peddle when starting an auto for a few times. Takes a while, then you learn new muscle memories. Am used to a Prius shifter after a while too. Keys stay in pocket; push button. Way different than years of push clutch; turn key.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm not too bad, only a few times a day with that. And, sometimes I try for the clutch.

Noahma

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Takes the same amount of time to become accustomed to as does no longer reaching into your pocket for the keys with a push button start equipped vehicle.
;)
I have the opposite, My last Escape had push button start, the Mav does not lol. Going from my first escape to the one with push button took YEARS to get used to not having the keys out. I keep walking up to maverick, grabbing the handle and getting confused why it did not unlock lol

Michaelkov

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Instinctively reaching for a shift lever...

Ford Maverick Instinctively reaching for a shift lever... is it just me? 1676379996372

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

NO. But this is common, particularly when one has 2 very different cars. Or one that is much older. Don't worry. LOL

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder what Freud would have said about people who don't want to let go of the memory of their shift lever? 😂

Sponsored

sanpablo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Shelby GT500, 1999 Ford Windstar
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Allen King Jr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 C-Max phev, 2006 Mercury Mariner, 2023 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I don’t like it but it does have one advantage. Since the right hand feels lost the only logical place to hold onto is the steering wheel.
imagine that, two hands on the wheel?
Yeah, I tried the two-handed driving one time, the left hand was getting angry at the right hand because it was trying to go a different direction.

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've had my Maverick since July. I still do it but much less often. The first month or it was a lot! :LOL: I wish the dial was bigger and taller so it would be easier to grab without looking down.

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The most daunting thing for me still is the autohold….I often use such witchcraft

rJay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Atlas Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have never had vehicles newer than 2012, and so I never experienced this. Even the new patrol vehicles at work, such as the 2023 Ford Explorer Interceptor, are retrofitted from the factory with column shifters for speed and single hand reversing operations. So I still air shift almost every drive. It'll take me a while.
Sponsored