Headdead

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster S
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2022 Mav XL, keyed ignition switch. 1700 miles.
After 1700 miles of no issues, the wife complained that her key was difficult to remove from the ignition switch.
When I tried my key I had the same result - it no longer comes out smoothly with normal force.
If you have a similar issue please post.
Sponsored

OldSoulNewMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe this is the first mention I've seen about this issue. Hopefully there's an easy fix for you.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yeah, WD40 and duct tape are my go-to fixes, and it would probably work, but I don't want the dealer to tell me I screwed it up if it gets worse...
I feel ya but it's either that or a trip back to the dealer.

Sponsored

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
Go back to dealer. If its both keys its on the ignition side. If it was 1 key I would say just try using that key a bit.

Edit: NEVER spray WD40 into anything. The tumblers inside the ignition will have a special grease. This grease is designed to remain in place for the life of the vehicle. WD40 will strip this grease away and cause problems.

This goes for all the switches inside your vehicle. You could also cause a fire. Never ever spray with wd40.

Last edited:

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After 1700 miles of no issues, the wife complained that her key was difficult to remove from the ignition switch.
When I tried my key I had the same result - it no longer comes out smoothly with normal force.
I would think Ford uses a common switch & should do a quick change out. They should be able to get you fixed in a short time

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hope there isn't an issue with the tumbler but that's what it sounds like you are worried about. I would try a lubricant, I don't know what would be recommended but I seems likely it needs to be lubricated in some way. That key switch has been used for 50 years or more and I assume the switch design should be sorted out.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn’t mess with it and let Ford replace it. My wife’s car has locks that kept doing this on the doors and trunk. I used dry lube which worked temporarily. I had to reuse the lube 4 times over 3 years and that finally quit working. It was under warranty at the start but knowing a quick fix we never took the car in. I ended up replacing the locks and keys for $500. Let Ford take care of it.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
#### FULL STOP #####

There's NO reason for anybody to report this here! You got a tiny little issue like this- TAKE IT TO YOUR DEALER. That's what your Warranty is for! It's not going to fix the issue if another owner experiences the same thing and not a major problem or manufacturing defect you need to warn others about.

Nothing to see here folks, continue on with your day :rolleyes:

Sponsored

mikelowrey

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Luckily the trucks under warranty. I’d at least take it to the dealer to get that ignition switch service logged at your local dealer just in case it gets worse in the future.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
#### FULL STOP #####

There's NO reason for anybody to report this here! You got a tiny little issue like this- TAKE IT TO YOUR DEALER. That's what your Warranty is for! It's not going to fix the issue if another owner experiences the same thing and not a major problem or manufacturing defect you need to warn others about.
I don’t have a problem with his post. It’s how automotive forums work: Someone has an issue, posts it on the forum, and other people chime in. Sometimes it’s helpful, sometimes it’s not—but it’s not hurting anyone.

Damn the torpedoes!
#### FULL SPEED AHEAD ####

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unfortunately, I can't recommend anything other than taking it to the dealer. Ignitions are not something to fool around with...

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nothing to see here folks, continue on with your day :rolleyes:
We're all sitting on our butts waiting for our trucks to arrive - we need something to read, and have watched every YouTube review.

Joking aside, although it won't fix the problem this is how we observe trends and can quickly identify recurring issues.

...but mostly to entertain us while we wait for emails.
Sponsored