Sponsored

If interior sound noise level is important to you, Sound Deadening (with Dynamat / Noico)!!!

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Its really not that hard to do, or expensive, its just a knuckle ripping PITA ! You will have to remove door panels and the roof liner. One nice thing, in a new car, all of the plastic clips are new, and pliable. In an older vehicles, these are much more prone to snapping. Its not important to cover the entire door skins from the inside (which is fortunate, because that would be darn near impossible) but (and this is kind of an oversimplification, but just to make a point) say you are only able to cover 40% of the inside of one of your doors.... This might be 90% effective. You do need some deadener inside of all 4 doors, your roof, and the back wall of your cab.

As for brands of sound deadener, if money doesn't matter to you, Dynamat works great. For something which is a lot cheaper, and IMPO, works just as well, I use Noico.

I went for years without sound deadener in my truck, and thought I was okay without it. But about 2 years ago, I sound deadened it, and now I can't imagine ever going without it again ! Not only does it give you a much quieter noise floor, so that you can listen to music at a lower level and it still sounds great, but also, you can blast loud music / bass, and greatly eliminate all the interior rattles ;) Even aside from music, if you just want a quieter, more peaceful riding experience, deadener all the way ! :)

PS, before I deadened my truck, a light knock on the door sounded like knocking on a steel trash can. Now it sounds like a heavy, solid core wooden door ;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Unfortunately God gave me two left thumbs. Anytime I try to work on my vehicle, Murphy's Law kicks in and something goes wildly wrong. So I've learned to pay to have it done.

Understanding we haven't seen the Maverick close up yet, what do you think it would cost to have this done, IF you can find someone to do it? Just curious.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did this on my escape years ago. Big improvement! I know what you mean about knocking on the doors! Totally plan on doing this when I swap the stock speakers out.

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Unfortunately God gave me two left thumbs. Anytime I try to work on my vehicle, Murphy's Law kicks in and something goes wildly wrong. So I've learned to pay to have it done.

Understanding we haven't seen the Maverick close up yet, what do you think it would cost to have this done, IF you can find someone to do it? Just curious.
Honestly, sound deadening is one of those jobs that's just such a PITA... Trying to work between holes in the cross members of your doors interior... Clips that don't want to line up... Etc, etc...Expect 3 or 9 small cuts and scrapes.... Have band aids handy.
TBH, a lot of stereo shops just really don't want to mess with these jobs, and even the ones they do, often charge extra (and sometimes use less deadener)

When we did my truck, my friend / ace mechanic, took off each door panel one at a time, while I twisted and contorted my body, and scraped my knuckles and cut my fingers, putting in the deadener, mostly in small strips and squares.
Between the two of us, I think it took about 6 hours.... And the roof took me 3 hours by myself.

It really is just a miserable job, but the results are SOO nice 🙂👍

Oh, but to answer your question.... Geez, I guess if you could find a shop that would put in the time we did, and used at much deadener (I used about 50 SQ ft in my truck) $800 ? $1200 ? And that would not be easy money either.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, thanks for that. I'm going to look around and see what I can find. I appreciate the info. I would really love to do this.

My problem is I am totally clueless how vehicles come apart, I have hardly any tools left (ex took them all during divorce and sold them at a yard sale), and most importantly, because I don't know how to take it apart, I typically break the fasteners. So I've found better to pay. It's worth it to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Okay, thanks for that. I'm going to look around and see what I can find. I appreciate the info. I would really love to do this.

My problem is I am totally clueless how vehicles come apart, I have hardly any tools left (ex took them all during divorce and sold them at a yard sale), and most importantly, because I don't know how to take it apart, I typically break the fasteners. So I've found better to pay. It's worth it to me.
I hear you.... Plus stereo shops typically have extra clips around, knowing that they will break some when removing and replacing door panels, headliners, and such...

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can see doing it all but the headliner. Taking one down, solo, and putting it back up does not sound like a fun day to me.
Anyone have an idea if skipping the roof would make a lot of difference? Does adding panels under the carpet make sense to do? I would have thought road noise through the floor would be significant. And doing the firewall should have an effect on engine noise. Thoughts on floor & firewall?
tom

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
I can see doing it all but the headliner. Taking one down, solo, and putting it back up does not sound like a fun day to me.
Anyone have an idea if skipping the roof would make a lot of difference? Does adding panels under the carpet make sense to do? I would have thought road noise through the floor would be significant. And doing the firewall should have an effect on engine noise. Thoughts on floor & firewall?
tom
I dunno. The headliner in my truck wasn't too bad. Once I had it down. I used one layer of regular Noico 80mil sound deadener, and another layer of the 400 mil heat insulation + deadener.
One unintentional improvement this made for me was, my roof used to flex and rattle so hard, I constantly broke the clips that held up my overhead console. Now it doesn't seem to vibrate near so bad, and I haven't broke anymore of those clips since then.

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For sure the deadening will make big difference. But after putting some in my totally stripped F100 I can’t imagine my body could contort enough to do a modern car. Also, those plastic fasteners hate me!
If you’re gonna disassemble and reassemble take a LOT of photos and above all take your time and don‘t get your hand caught!

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
.... and don‘t get your hand caught!
This sounds like the voice of experience. Sad and funny at the same time.

Sponsored

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe, dodge eco-diesel
Having my stereo shop dynamat the entire cab. Floor, roof, doors, firewall, and behind the back seat. He has to remove the entire interior for the system install anyway so made since to do it at while it was bare metal.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having my stereo shop dynamat the entire cab. Floor, roof, doors, firewall, and behind the back seat. He has to remove the entire interior for the system install anyway so made since to do it at while it was bare metal.
I'll bet that will cost a pretty penny. But as you said, might as well get it done right from the beginning.

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe, dodge eco-diesel
I'll bet that will cost a pretty penny. But as you said, might as well get it done right from the beginning.
Entire system over 4k watt in total between subs n highs custom box and fabricating a frame to lift the rear seat 3inches + dynomat and ceramic window tent lil over 4k

Last edited:

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Entire system over 4k watt in total between subs n highs custom box and fabricating a frame to lift the rear seat 3inches + dynamite and ceramic window tent lil over 4k
Dynamite?! :eek:

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Entire system over 4k watt in total between subs n highs custom box and fabricating a frame to lift the rear seat 3inches + dynamite and ceramic window tent lil over 4k
Sounds (haha) like it is going to be an awesome system. That was me in my earlier days. After 25 years as a sound man for live reinforcement I don't hear so good anymore. These hearing aids are a royal pain in the a$$. That and the tinnius nothing sounds good to me if I can even hear it.

I'd be interested in getting the sound deadner material installed though. I have road noise a bunch. One of the first things I want to explore is a blanket under the hood to deaden that. Any ideas what it would run just to deaden the cab?
Sponsored

Last edited: