Sponsored

If interior sound noise level is important to you, Sound Deadening (with Dynamat / Noico)!!!

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe, dodge eco-diesel
Isn't this the manufactures job? Like these things come to a point you have to tear down then rebuild.. What am I missing?
For what I'm doing all vehicle could use it never seen one that couldn't use a lil dynomat. As for getting it to dampen outside noise some people have different standards than the auto industry has

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn't this the manufactures job? Like these things come to a point you have to tear down then rebuild.. What am I missing?
Its a luxury feature really. You only find large amounts of sound deadening in higher end luxury vehicles. Cheap cars tend to have much less and so are typically louder/resonate more inside the cabin.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds (haha) like it is going to be an awesome system. That was me in my earlier days. After 25 years as a sound man for live reinforcement I don't hear so good anymore. These hearing aids are a royal pain in the a$$. That and the tinnius nothing sounds good to me if I can even hear it.

I'd be interested in getting the sound deadner material installed though. I have road noise a bunch. One of the first things I want to explore is a blanket under the hood to deaden that. Any ideas what it would run just to deaden the cab?
I recently did my Mom's PT Cruiser. That car sounded like you're riding on a dirt bike when you accelerate! I ordered some Kilmat 80 mil from Amazon. I pulled out the front and rear seats along with the front carpet. The rear carpet I just pulled up as far as I could get it to come up without pulling side molding out. I was able to put in the Kilmat from the firewall all the way to the back seats location. WOW what a difference!! Not new luxury car quietness, but a big difference! Like other have stated, I can now have a conversation in the car without having to feel like I'm yelling. I didn't do the doors because I've seen behind the door panel and there isn't much access room so I didn't want to bother. I didn't think about doing under the headliner. As far as doing my Unicorn (Hybrid Maverick) I'll wait until I've driven it for a while, because when I test drove an Ecoboost I didn't think the road noise was of any concern. It would be interesting to get a decibel meter inside a Maverick and take some real time drive level readings. I'm with you on the hearing aids (too many years working around the "sounds of freedom") and cutting down the road noise does help when trying to have a conversation inside a moving vehicle.

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Its a luxury feature really. You only find large amounts of sound deadening in higher end luxury vehicles. Cheap cars tend to have much less and so are typically louder/resonate more inside the cabin.
When I was stationed in England in the mid-80s I owned a few English made cars and they had ZERO sound deadening in them!! It really did sound like you were driving inside a tin can!! 🙉🙉🙉

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recently did my Mom's PT Cruiser. That car sounded like you're riding on a dirt bike when you accelerate! I ordered some Kilmat 80 mil from Amazon. I pulled out the front and rear seats along with the front carpet. The rear carpet I just pulled up as far as I could get it to come up without pulling side molding out. I was able to put in the Kilmat from the firewall all the way to the back seats location. WOW what a difference!! Not new luxury car quietness, but a big difference! Like other have stated, I can now have a conversation in the car without having to feel like I'm yelling. I didn't do the doors because I've seen behind the door panel and there isn't much access room so I didn't want to bother. I didn't think about doing under the headliner. As far as doing my Unicorn (Hybrid Maverick) I'll wait until I've driven it for a while, because when I test drove an Ecoboost I didn't think the road noise was of any concern. It would be interesting to get a decibel meter inside a Maverick and take some real time drive level readings. I'm with you on the hearing aids (too many years working around the "sounds of freedom") and cutting down the road noise does help when trying to have a conversation inside a moving vehicle.
Doing your doors help more than you think. Probably 30-40% the noise/rattle in your cab comes from those areas

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I was stationed in England in the mid-80s I owned a few English made cars and they had ZERO sound deadening in them!! It really did sound like you were driving inside a tin can!! 🙉🙉🙉
My first car was a 2001 Volvo S60 T5. It had quite a bit of sound deadening in it and had a very nice quiet ride... unfortunately the sound deadening material was defective and started breaking down. It smelled a bit like crayons when the sound deadening was degrading, led to some interesting conversations with my dates :ROFLMAO:

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Doing your doors help more than you think. Probably 30-40% the noise/rattle in your cab comes from those areas
Ugh, now I'm going to have to suck it up and do the doors!! 🤣 Thankfully, on the Cruiser there isn't a bunch of electronics to deal with so it won't be to hard getting the panels off. Also there are a few in the local scrapyard I can look at again before I start to get a better idea of what's behind door #1, door#2, door #3 and door #4! :eek::eek:

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ugh, now I'm going to have to suck it up and do the doors!! 🤣 Thankfully, on the Cruiser there isn't a bunch of electronics to deal with so it won't be to hard getting the panels off. Also there are a few in the local scrapyard I can look at again before I start to get a better idea of what's behind door #1, door#2, door #3 and door #4! :eek::eek:
You don't have to do the entire door mainly the thin sheeting any hard bracing or ridged areas you can get away without you'd be surprised at what just pulling the speakers out and filling 1/3 of the thin sheeting will provide goes from sounding like a marble in a tin can to the thud of hitting a tree stump. Of course the more you can get covered the better but any helps on doors

Sponsored

jmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For sure the deadening will make big difference. But after putting some in my totally stripped F100 I can’t imagine my body could contort enough to do a modern car. Also, those plastic fasteners hate me!
If you’re gonna disassemble and reassemble take a LOT of photos and above all take your time and don‘t get your hand caught!
Tell me about your 53! My dad has one in the same color but in non running condition I want to take on in about 2 years.

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tell me about your 53! My dad has one in the same color but in non running condition I want to take on in about 2 years.
Bought it 25 years ago. Always wanted one. I drove it home and on the down hill run I almost pushed through the floor getting it to stop so I installed disk brakes, tuned the engine and replaced some worn front end parts. Drove it like that with bad paint and cracked windows until 2010 when I decided the wiring was next. But I decided that a total frame off was the only way to do it justice. I’ve had some experience with old vehicles so I did everything on it, including Body work and paint, interior, swapped in rebuilt 302 Ford and AOD tranny and all new running gear. Did the interior as well.
Took me 8 years and I loved it. Power brakes and steering and even A/C Makes a pretty good ride, but still feels like a truck. Don’t do any cross country trips but it’s winning it’s fair share of trophies and cant ever see myself getting rid of it.

Area51FM

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Entire system over 4k watt in total between subs n highs custom box and fabricating a frame to lift the rear seat 3inches + dynomat and ceramic window tent lil over 4k
That's dirt cheap really. I was quoted over 5k for my Fusion a few years ago and it wasn't nearly as Involved. What brands are you using
Sponsored