First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it had a bigger battery wouldn't that mean it would just run on the battery more?
No, just longer when it does. May under some conditions allow more regen braking to be captured as in "Low" mode which could improve mpg. I notice in "low" mode battery apparently fills up quicker and engine braking occurs. I am assuming that the increased amperage of the more aggressive Regen heats the battery more quickly and in order to help cool it the rate of charge/discharge is reduced so engine braking occurs more frequently, supported by electric miles seems reduced when low mode is used more than several (10-15?) minutes. What do I know for Shure as I'm still learning things?
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it had a bigger battery wouldn't that mean it would just run on the battery more?
Except you would have to have a drive cycle such that the engine needed to run long enough to fill that extra capacity for it to be available to in turn be completely discharged. Basically if you had to drive up a mountain and then cruise around at low-ish speed at the top. It's something of an edge case. Also the engine can be reasonably fuel efficient when it doesn't have the charge load on it.

Presumably the engineers crunched the numbers and factored all this when they settled on the lower capacity versus previous Ford hybrids.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not a fan of plug in hybrids. You still need to maintain the ice even if you don't use it. Also it's probably not good for the ice if you don't use it much...
The ice can be programmed to run a certain amount (5-10-20%???) as needed.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If they put a bigger battery in the regular hybrid wouldn't that also increase the milage. So instead of getting 42 city it could get 50+ city?
Not necessarily as it is a balancing act. In the winter the ice may be required to run every x minutes in order to keep itself and cats within certain operating temp range for epa. In summer will have to run more to run AC to generate electricity to directly supply AC current and help to reduce heat generating transfers into and out of HVB. I feel that probably a 20-25% battery size increase would be beneficial and that the current battery size was a compromise due to supply issues but would work fine. Look for many improvements most likely in 2025 or 2026.

TyPope

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Considering that America is still in a transitional phase to electric cars/charging, I would much rather see a Maverick PHEV.

Zero stress range, all electric for errands, and generator mode like the F150 has.

PHEV is the near future change my mind.
People are lazy. If they don't have to, they probably won't plug in every day negating a lot of the community improvement of increased efficiency. I mean, it'd still be better than my 2.7L F150 getting it's 20.0 mpg... Personally, if they offer a PHEV version of the Maverick, I'd get it. I just don't think it's the long-term answer. Transitional, yes. Eventually, people will realize that it really is kind of a pain to have to go fill up your car with gas during the week (and in my case, wait 30 minutes at Sam's Club because they are oddly about $0.75 cheaper a gallon than the rest of the stations in town.) Yeah, tired of gas stations. Nice on long trips but my Maverick won't be making many of those. Like my wife said "Why compromise every single day to make that once a year vacation trip nice when you could have what you want every day and just take a different vehicle (hers or rent) when we go on long family trips." Her logic is undeniable... But, I'm not willing to go through the hassle at Home Depot renting a truck for the hour every time I help one of my girls move furniture.

Sponsored

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was in the same boat and was going to hold on to my Hybrid until the PHEV came out and then trade it in. Now that I have the Hybrid and know that I can get 44mpg every day on the highway with it, I don't think I will be upgrading. Will I sell out when a full electric comes out? Maybe, depends on the price. I'm not paying $45-$50k for one, I would rather just fill up every couple weeks like I do now. We will see what the future brings but I'm in no hurry, I love the hybrid I have now.

OP
OP
austinzone

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
People are lazy. If they don't have to, they probably won't plug in every day negating a lot of the community improvement of increased efficiency. I mean, it'd still be better than my 2.7L F150 getting it's 20.0 mpg... Personally, if they offer a PHEV version of the Maverick, I'd get it. I just don't think it's the long-term answer. Transitional, yes. Eventually, people will realize that it really is kind of a pain to have to go fill up your car with gas during the week (and in my case, wait 30 minutes at Sam's Club because they are oddly about $0.75 cheaper a gallon than the rest of the stations in town.) Yeah, tired of gas stations. Nice on long trips but my Maverick won't be making many of those. Like my wife said "Why compromise every single day to make that once a year vacation trip nice when you could have what you want every day and just take a different vehicle (hers or rent) when we go on long family trips." Her logic is undeniable... But, I'm not willing to go through the hassle at Home Depot renting a truck for the hour every time I help one of my girls move furniture.
The issues are multifold.

In a perfect world - your leaders will make wise decisions and we will progress as a society.

In actuality - the same leaders that are telling us "electric cars" are the future - are the same ones suggesting - already - with a minimal % of on road vehicles being all electric - that some owners may need to stop charging their cars from the grid during the day due to constraints. this is already happening 'now'.

and unless you happen to be an even smaller percentage of EV owners that has enough solar to power their car - then you are tied to that constraint.

there is only one company you can goto for your power - its the only power company you have. can they make changes to who gets power at their homes during crisis? do they control the cost of power? can they raise the price during crisis?

what happens when even more people are EV owners - relying on the grid - do you think as demand goes up so will prices?

and off in the distance (maybe not so distant) - will we even be able to meet that demand?

PHEV gives you the owners much more 'power'. You can choose every single day - every minute. You get the best of both worlds. Literally never have to stress about anything.

You dont need to worry about range.

You dont need to worry about natural disasters knocking out the grid.

You dont need to worry about gas price hikes.

You dont need to worry if your power company is forcing people to stop charging during peak hours.

You dont need to worry about being trapped in your vehicle in a bad accident because you arent sitting on top of a chassis sized battery pack.

You dont have to stop nearly as many times during a road trip.

Stops at charging stations are optional.

You can choose to stop for an electric charge, a gas refill, or both.

EV is a great idea in theory - but mass adoption will ruin it - and i think EV ownership will look worse and worse as time goes on. Have we even talked about how we keep them on the road long term?

Do I believe that EVs will become much more realistic for ownership moving forward - absolutely - but not the ones we have now. But PHEV is cool if you're into the next big thing.

Dr.Steve

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dr. Steve Bruhle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FoMoCo already has the AWD PHEV system for the Maverick developed and is selling it in the Lincoln Corsair. Corsair PHEV is based on the same platform, but instead of mechanical AWD, it is eAWD.

I bet MY24 we get a PHEV FWD and maybe MY25 we get the PHEV AWD, though maybe that’s 24 too

TyPope

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The issues are multifold.

In a perfect world - your leaders will make wise decisions and we will progress as a society.

In actuality - the same leaders that are telling us "electric cars" are the future - are the same ones suggesting - already - with a minimal % of on road vehicles being all electric - that some owners may need to stop charging their cars from the grid during the day due to constraints. this is already happening 'now'.

and unless you happen to be an even smaller percentage of EV owners that has enough solar to power their car - then you are tied to that constraint.

there is only one company you can goto for your power - its the only power company you have. can they make changes to who gets power at their homes during crisis? do they control the cost of power? can they raise the price during crisis?

what happens when even more people are EV owners - relying on the grid - do you think as demand goes up so will prices?

and off in the distance (maybe not so distant) - will we even be able to meet that demand?

PHEV gives you the owners much more 'power'. You can choose every single day - every minute. You get the best of both worlds. Literally never have to stress about anything.

You dont need to worry about range.

You dont need to worry about natural disasters knocking out the grid.

You dont need to worry about gas price hikes.

You dont need to worry if your power company is forcing people to stop charging during peak hours.

You dont need to worry about being trapped in your vehicle in a bad accident because you arent sitting on top of a chassis sized battery pack.

You dont have to stop nearly as many times during a road trip.

Stops at charging stations are optional.

You can choose to stop for an electric charge, a gas refill, or both.

EV is a great idea in theory - but mass adoption will ruin it - and i think EV ownership will look worse and worse as time goes on. Have we even talked about how we keep them on the road long term?

Do I believe that EVs will become much more realistic for ownership moving forward - absolutely - but not the ones we have now. But PHEV is cool if you're into the next big thing.
Sure, flexibility is good. EVs can actually smooth out grid requirements which is why Tesla asked owners to charge at night in Texas... Power plants can't cycle from full blast at 3pm to a lot less at night so keeping a steady state by charging cars is helpful. That's why there are electrical peaker plants. But, that's only for now. Eventually, more people charging will require more electrical production of course. 1 KwH lets me travel 3 miles, for reference. It's not a trivial amount of electricity but it isn't horrendous. Gotta love the $0.04 per mile cost though!

Range? You can worry about range in anything. Diesel? going from Great Falls home, I carried 5 gallons of diesel in my little yellow jug but we always worried about making it to the next station through one stretch. Just one stretch though. Electric would never make that trip back then! But, I don't worry about range. I have 300 miles of range and work is only 10 miles away. It's pretty easy to plan for that range. Trips are different but the car automatically plans the route to the chargers so there's no anxiety there.

You make good points about being able to switch between gas and electric as needed. I don't think mass adoption will ruin electric though. I think as costs go down (TVs now are so much bigger than they used to be and all those people who said "flat screen TVs are nice but they won't ever become widely adopted because they cost too much" were wrong. I think we are very close to seeing electric cars becoming cheaper to buy than gas cars. It won't be long. With the advent of million mile batteries and motors that are improving constantly, the future looks neat.

Nebraska charges an EV fee to make up for there being no gas tax from EVs. What's a fair way to ensure everyone pays their share? Mileage and weight based makes sense because weight and amount of driving is what puts wear on the roads. My Maverick won't contribute much in the way of gas tax!

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When Ford does offer a PHEV Maverick, I will be ordering it ASAP.
I think I would trade for a PHEV in a couple years. It might be cheaper for Ford to build a Mav Lightning (fully electric).

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

FoMoCo already has the AWD PHEV system for the Maverick developed and is selling it in the Lincoln Corsair. Corsair PHEV is based on the same platform, but instead of mechanical AWD, it is eAWD.

I bet MY24 we get a PHEV FWD and maybe MY25 we get the PHEV AWD, though maybe that’s 24 too
That is what I have been saying, MY24 for a PHEV Maverick.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think I would trade for a PHEV in a couple years. It might be cheaper for Ford to build a Mav Lightning (fully electric).
Bigger battery, Bigger Elect motor, means a higher price. FoMoCo has a PHEV already in the Escape.

Donodo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV Escape SEL, Maverick hybrid XLT, DR-650
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yep, we have an order for a PHEV escape, same story as my maverick hybrid, no news unfortunately

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Considering that America is still in a transitional phase to electric cars/charging, I would much rather see a Maverick PHEV.

Zero stress range, all electric for errands, and generator mode like the F150 has.

PHEV is the near future change my mind.
Generating capacity isn't there for too many EVs. Electricity prices will go up. Taxes will go up for EVs. Gas price will go down. California governor was asking for the EVs to not be plugged in for the next week because of demand.

jwesterly

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford ranger, next...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmm, maybe there is a phev in the works. I didn't expect it to be announced at this go around due the the current semiconductor, battery, etc supply constraints, but after seeing the munro live underside video of the xl AND one of the escape phev AND the spy shots of the charcoal canister on the side (needed to make room for something like a 1.1kw -> 14.4kw battery underneath where the xl's current canister is) it's all hinting of what that spy shot is. DO IT FORD! WE NOW GET A $7.5K TAX BREAK TO PLAY WITH! The 2022 escape phev is around $35,455, and the 2022 escape hybrid is $30,185-$32,550 so the cost differential fits within the tax break. The list price of a maverick phev could take a big price jump, but after biden's tax rebate for phev or bev vehicles, the cost differential to the buyer over the current xl is roughly zero!

munro live maverick xl battery and charcoal canister

escape phev battery

the spy shots of canister on side
https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-maverick-phev-awd-pickup-truck-spy-photos/
Sponsored

Last edited: