I think the base stereo sounds good...

KyleFF

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I'm sure I'll draw fire for this, but I don't get what people on here and some of the auto journalists I've seen are talking about when they say the base stereo in the Maverick is really bad.

With the amount of negative talk about it that I heard I went in to pick up my Maverick 2 weeks ago expecting the stereo to be utterly useless, and if I turned the volume up from even a whisper it would be distorted ear rape coming out of the speakers.

Its not true at all, and I've been jamming to music just fine. I had a 2018 Premium GT mustang before this with the top sound system and I'm not finding myself noticing much difference...
Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm sure I'll draw fire for this, but I don't get what people on here and some of the auto journalists I've seen are talking about when they say the base stereo in the Maverick is really bad.

With the amount of negative talk about it that I heard I went in to pick up my Maverick 2 weeks ago expecting the stereo to be utterly useless, and if I turned the volume up from even a whisper it would be distorted ear rape coming out of the speakers.

Its not true at all, and I've been jamming to music just fine. I had a 2018 Premium GT mustang before this with the top sound system and I'm not finding myself noticing much difference...
I test drove a Maverick and it sounded fine. If I want something special I'll use my nice earbuds. I will miss a CD player but I'll convert everything to thumb drives.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting to hear (LOL) I am not as much of an audiophile as some on here. But I do like the idea of sound insulating the truck and upgrading the sound system as I love music, and listen to a super wide variety. But, I did get to drive one that someone had backed out of after I had actually ordered one and don't remember it sounding particularly bad then either.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I also think it sounds fine once you adjust the EQ settings.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not great, but it's better than our last two vehicles (VW jetta and Hyundai accent). The B&O isn't all that much better.

Sponsored

Milqueman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid, 2013 Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it comes down to Audiophiles. I believe most people don't hear much difference, but to some, they have to have the "best" sound and can detect the finest and most minute details in sound quality. I've never worried about having top tier sound systems and that has never been a priority when buy a vehicle. I can listen to music on a small bluetooth speaker from my cell phone and be happy. If I want a top quality sound system, I'll put one in my house where I can listen to it for hours. The 20-30 minutes at a time that I spend in my vehicles throughout the day don't warrant spending extra money for sound. Most vehicles nowadays have stock stereo systems that are much better than 20 years ago and are just fine for most people.

Jwhisl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought it sounded pretty good to it first. I did replace my door speakers. Every once in awhile I will lose all sound and then the rear speakers pop and all the sound comes back. It only lasts a second or so but the other problem that I've noticed sometimes music will be distorted for no apparent reason. I'm talking very noticeable distortion at any volume level. I never play the stereo over 20 and I have a sub to handle most of my bass so the bass on the deck is turned down. I'm starting to think the amplifiers they used we're not that great or they overheat

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's perfectly acceptable if you're not that picky about audio quality and don't want to turn it up too loud. At the high end, it's just a muddled mess. Volume is the only thing going for it at that point.

Testing out the similar base system in a Bronco Sport and turning the volume up, it was quite a disappointment. But for background listening, it was good enough.

For most people who don't listen that loudly, and especially for those who listen to more talk than radio, it's more than adequate.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought it sounded pretty good to it first. I did replace my door speakers. Every once in awhile I will lose all sound and then the rear speakers pop and all the sound comes back. It only lasts a second or so but the other problem that I've noticed sometimes music will be distorted for no apparent reason. I'm talking very noticeable distortion at any volume level. I never play the stereo over 20 and I have a sub to handle most of my bass so the bass on the deck is turned down. I'm starting to think the amplifiers they used we're not that great or they overheat
When I left the Ford brand a few years ago that speaker pop was from a failure in the amp itself. I imagine it is still the same concern. That usually gets worse over time, so it is likely that it will happen enough that a dealer can duplicate it and replace the failed part.

PolakPola

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ati
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the factory stereo sounds just fine. It's a truck, not a luxury sedan or SUV north of $100k.

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The B&O system in the Lariat is slightly higher quality parts, but honestly, no one is ever going to mistake an automobile for a music studio. I have high quality headphones at home; I just need the car stereo to keep me awake.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven't yet heard the B&O as my Lariat is not delivered yet. But I did put 2,000 miles on an XL and I would say it sounded alright.

Our Integra has the 16-speaker ELS Studio 3D system. I'm not expecting the B&O to perform anywhere close to that, but I am expecting it to be a significant bump over the stock system.

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was once a self-proclaimed audiophile; NAD, Magnepan, McIntosh, Mark Levinson etc. Spent a buttload of money upgrading vehicle sound systems. Years of loud concerts, being around military aircraft and the like has taken its toll on my hearing. I have not done anything to the sound in any of my recent vehicles. All sounds fine. The Mav system will be just fine.