Sponsored

I Had A Major Issue With The Maverick Hybrid Today, I've Never Heard Of Anything Like This In Any Car!

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't think the noise is a small issue. Unless it is very low volume, however based on multiple accounts it's very loud and almost physically painful.

I don't think potential hearing loss is a "minor issue". I don't think a vehicle causing am abrupt moment of distraction followed by extended distraction while operating at speed is a "minor issue". In fact it seems like quite a big issue not just to operators, but others on the road.

Good on the OP for catching and documenting it well, including video of the sound. For those implying it's an over reaction or complaining ... Well you seem to just be "complaining" about complaining.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm reaching waaaayyy back to my days as a component-level electronics tech, but here's a couple of things worth considering. The speakers would not continue producing sound unless something was driving them and they are on switched power as far as I know.

The smell of burning and the presence of smoke indicate overheated wiring or electronics due to excessive current pull. That leads me to believe that there is a weak circuit somewhere in the audio system that has a direct battery feed. We used to occasionally see failures that resulted from "punch-through", which happens when a chip develops an internal short. Keep in mind that I'm referencing electronics from the 80's, so current custom logic circuits might not have this issue but the principle is the same.

Something is driving that speaker to its max and that something only stops when battery power is removed. I'd plan to have the entire harness checked for heat damage once the fault is localized.

Asoxfan4evr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick hybrid xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have had our 23 hybrid xlt for about a month now and I have a similar story about the radio. On the way home w the truck I had to hit the brakes hard to avoid a merging car and the volume on the radio jumped from 5 to 25. Very distracting!!
Had a similar incident happen a week later,thought maybe it's something w the lane assist or something. But instead of having a service call,we went to a planned trip to smokies. No problem there but on the expressway on way home I had to swerve to left to avoid someone moving into my lane, never touched the brake just quickly moved left, radio again jumped from 5 to 25. Very distracting!!
I have an appointment w dealer to install proximity alarm in couple weeks,already asked if they'd run a diagnostic test on radio,I explained all this to service clerk and will tt service Mgr when we bring truck in.#

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think the noise is a small issue. Unless it is very low volume, however based on multiple accounts it's very loud and almost physically painful.

I don't think potential hearing loss is a "minor issue". I don't think a vehicle causing am abrupt moment of distraction followed by extended distraction while operating at speed is a "minor issue". In fact it seems like quite a big issue not just to operators, but others on the road.

Good on the OP for catching and documenting it well, including video of the sound. For those implying it's an over reaction or complaining ... Well you seem to just be "complaining" about complaining.
I don't believe I said "minor issue" anywhere.
I was pointing out that cooked wires are VERY bad and an exspensive repair.

OP
OP
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a small update. The dealership service advisor called me today around their closing time of 5:00 PM and she said that they were able to have one of their techs look at the truck this afternoon. They ran some diagnostics on it and were in touch with Ford corporate apparently. She said Ford believes the issue is stemming from the rear speakers and is advising them to start by replacing the rear speakers and then run diagnostics again on the system.

If this ends up being the only the thing they are going to replace then I'm not going to be happy and I did nicely explain that to her. She said it's under warranty and they can only start by replacing what Ford will cover. I get that but they have to be sure this will fix the issue, this absolutely cannot happen again, it's a huge safety issue.

I'm obviously extremely skeptical that the rear speakers are the main cause of the problem. As someone else in this thread mentioned, something else has to be driving all of the speakers to put out beyond maximum volume. Now, if the sound had stopped when I turned off radio or even when the ignition was turned off then I might be a little more willing to accept that could be the problem. But the fact that the battery had to be disconnected tells me that the issue can't be solely the rear speakers.

That's all I know right now. The replacement rear speakers will take about a week to arrive at the dealer so I likely won't have another update until at least late next week.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm fairly sensitive to over reaction type stories but in this case I only detailed exactly what happened. The techs at the dealership were baffled and they initially were also worried it was going to go up in flames. It was startling to say the least.
Can't help but wonder if Not of this earth would have the same reaction if it happened to him.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a small update. The dealership service advisor called me today around their closing time of 5:00 PM and she said that they were able to have one of their techs look at the truck this afternoon. They ran some diagnostics on it and were in touch with Ford corporate apparently. She said Ford believes the issue is stemming from the rear speakers and is advising them to start by replacing the rear speakers and then run diagnostics again on the system.

If this ends up being the only the thing they are going to replace then I'm not going to be happy and I did nicely explain that to her. She said it's under warranty and they can only start by replacing what Ford will cover. I get that but they have to be sure this will fix the issue, this absolutely cannot happen again, it's a huge safety issue.

I'm obviously extremely skeptical that the rear speakers are the main cause of the problem. As someone else in this thread mentioned, something else has to be driving all of the speakers to put out beyond maximum volume. Now, if the sound had stopped when I turned off radio or even when the ignition was turned off then I might be a little more willing to accept that could be the problem. But the fact that the battery had to be disconnected tells me that the issue can't be solely the rear speakers.

That's all I know right now. The replacement rear speakers will take about a week to arrive at the dealer so I likely won't have another update until at least late next week.
Any update on the loaner?

OP
OP
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can't help but wonder if Not of this earth would have the same reaction if it happened to him.
That was exactly what I was thinking. I do somewhat understand that the posts that say things like, "Ford is junk, how do they stay in business" or "I'm done with Ford forever" can get annoying. But wasn't saying any of that, I just detailed exactly what happened mostly because it was beyond bizarre.

OP
OP
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any update on the loaner?
Not really. I did ask the service advisor when she called yesterday and she said they are hoping to have one available for me on Tuesday. I've been out since early this morning because I had to get everything done early today because my wife needs her car this evening. We'll get by this weekend with one car but by next Wednesday I have to be back to work so I hope they are doing their best to get me a loaner.

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I think you are correct, no way it was the speakers. The speakers very well could be bad now because of all the power put to them.
At this rate this will take a long while...........:(

Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not really. I did ask the service advisor when she called yesterday and she said they are hoping to have one available for me on Tuesday. I've been out since early this morning because I had to get everything done early today because my wife needs her car this evening. We'll get by this weekend with one car but by next Wednesday I have to be back to work so I hope they are doing their best to get me a loaner.
I wouldn't trust their "task manager" to remind them of an individuals loaner needs on a daily basis. Unfortunately with Christmas you won't get through until Tuesday. Sorry man.

OP
OP
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't trust their "task manager" to remind them of an individuals loaner needs on a daily basis. Unfortunately with Christmas you won't get through until Tuesday. Sorry man.
You are absolutely correct and I plan on calling them first thing Tuesday morning for an update on the loaner. My wife keeps telling me I need to call and demand a loaner but if they don't have one then they don't have one. We'll see what happens on Tuesday.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are absolutely correct and I plan on calling them first thing Tuesday morning for an update on the loaner. My wife keeps telling me I need to call and demand a loaner but if they don't have one then they don't have one. We'll see what happens on Tuesday.
I'd interpret that as "be demanding" but it's not like they are going to produce one out of thin air lol. It sucks but she may be right and sometimes when it comes to dealerships, a scene must be made. She sounds like the perfect candidate to take with you lol ;)

Skylar White's hyperventilating while waiting for the locksmith to let her in her ex-husband Walter Whites house comes to mind... if you've ever seen Breaking Bad. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't believe I said "minor issue" anywhere.
I was pointing out that cooked wires are VERY bad and an exspensive repair.
Sorry for the confusion. I replied to your post but meant to just post generally to the thread. Your post was the last one I read and seemed supportive of the same thing. Edited...

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That was exactly what I was thinking. I do somewhat understand that the posts that say things like, "Ford is junk, how do they stay in business" or "I'm done with Ford forever" can get annoying. But wasn't saying any of that, I just detailed exactly what happened mostly because it was beyond bizarre.
Your thread post was just fine. You experienced an unusual problem and turned to this club for help. Isn't that one of the reasons this forum exists? Unfortunately, some folks use it as a personal vendetta. 90% of the members here are great people . . . stick with that.
Sponsored