Sponsored

2nd major issue with the Maverick hybrid, owned less than a week. 12v Dead as a doornail

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
So in addition to the weird remote start issues, I went to head to work this morning and the 12v was dead as a doornail. No I did not leave anything on. Dont know why, I had just drove it last night. It was 32*F this morning, so a bit cold, but nothing really that bad frankly.(If this truck cant handle 32*F then wtf do you northerners do?)I had to jump it, so thanks to the guy who explained that to me in the last post about remote start. I drove it to work, lets see if the battery is dead again when I go to leave.

Im going to take it back to the dealer this week and see what the hell is going on. Between this and the weird remote start stuff I am a bit concerned. Ive only had the truck like a week.
Sponsored

OldSoulNewMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These problems should not be happening. I hope the dealer gets this figured out for you. Crossing my fingers that it's something as simple as a bad factory battery. That's something that does occasionally happen, and an easy fix. Please keep us posted with how this progresses!

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m going to keep an eye on this and the remote start thread.. I don’t want a vehicle that is not reliable..

PcGnUs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had one of the first Ford C-Max hybrid vehicles. It had a very bad issue where the car would be off / key out of the ignition but the radio remained on. It would kill the battery. I would not know this because I never really listened to the radio and had the volume down most all of the time. Not off just volume down.

This happened sporadically for over four years and each time I would have it towed to the dealer and the dealer would come back and say nothing was wrong and call me crazy probably behind my back lol. Each time the dealer had to unhook / disconnect the starting battery to reset the car computer chips. After four years finally the dealer figured it out. Unbelievably it was something to do with the audio console. It was a short that happened sporadically and without the rhyme or reason. The dealer told me I was going to have to pony up the 4000+ dollars to fix the issue because I was out of warranty. Of course we went to battle and the only thing that saved me was my history with the dealership of the issue showing the problem was from the very first year I purchased the vehicle. I had to pay 220 dollars I think and I have had no issues with it since.

Long story short even if the dealership can not find anything, the history of the event at the dealership means a ton and can save you years later.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The way things tend to be now days is that the consumers are the Quality Control Department. Manufacturers grab samples off the assembly line and a battery is not tested very well is my guess. Sure, batteries can have correct voltage but not enough current. I think someone else on here got a bad battery and it was replaced, and it's been good since.

The dealer should be able to check the alternator output and if that is good, replacing the battery should solve your problem.

I am hoping that it does.

Sponsored

OC-D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So in addition to the weird remote start issues, I went to head to work this morning and the 12v was dead as a doornail. No I did not leave anything on. Dont know why, I had just drove it last night. It was 32*F this morning, so a bit cold, but nothing really that bad frankly.(If this truck cant handle 32*F then wtf do you northerners do?)I had to jump it, so thanks to the guy who explained that to me in the last post about remote start. I drove it to work, lets see if the battery is dead again when I go to leave.

Im going to take it back to the dealer this week and see what the hell is going on. Between this and the weird remote start stuff I am a bit concerned. Ive only had the truck like a week.
when was your build date, I wonder if this was one of those sitting in the desert until the oktb date

OP
OP

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
when was your build date, I wonder if this was one of those sitting in the desert until the oktb date
I have no idea to be honest, I bought someone else's cancelled pre-order.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have no idea to be honest, I bought someone else's cancelled pre-order.
The build date is listed on the sticker tag on the driver door jamb.

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe there's a lamp lit, the bed light or something, which wasn't noticed?

Could be software, the Mach-e had an issue last year, where it couldn't charge both the HVB and 12v at the same time, or not the 12v until the HVB was fully charged. - It was an oddball issue, which they issued a firmware update to correct.

flatoe12

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Definitely not a cold weather issue. Sounds like a bigger problem.

Sponsored

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
I was wondering can u jump start the ice ? Probably not possible since it's not controlled buy turning the key. Is the 12 volt battery easily accessible to hook up a charger? Can u limp home on electric if it is a short distance?All new to me.

Reejie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Areej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang V6
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a 2005 Escape Hybrid. One of the first hybrid's. The first week it died twice. The problem was improper timing due to faulty code. The dealer had it for two weeks, and they finally put me in touch with the Ford engineers. They sent a software patch, and Voila! no problems.

The Escape had a remote start, and I never had a problem with it, and it was mainly in Syracuse, NY! Talk about snow and cold! That car lasted until November 2021 and had 257,000 miles with the original high voltage battery. When I first bought it, the dealers weren't even sure how long the battery would last. They gave me an 8 year estimate. But 16 years later it was going strong.

My son was in a car accident and totaled the car. I miss my Escape Hybrid! BTW: never lost a drop of oil!

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had this issue in 2013 with a chrysler van. the proximity RF sensor kept "waking up" without anyone approaching the vehical. it would basically activate the dash and turn it on. If i didn't drive at least every other day it would kill battery. took them a month and taking the entire dash out to figure it out. this was after the normal replace battery, replace this and that attempts.

OP
OP

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
So update, I took it to the dealer they tested the battery and it passed fine.
Per the dealer they of course "See no issue" and cannot answer why the battery died, so now its just a waiting game to see if it happens again.

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The way things tend to be now days is that the consumers are the Quality Control Department. Manufacturers grab samples off the assembly line and a battery is not tested very well is my guess. Sure, batteries can have correct voltage but not enough current. I think someone else on here got a bad battery and it was replaced, and it's been good since.

The dealer should be able to check the alternator output and if that is good, replacing the battery should solve your problem.

I am hoping that it does.
No alternator with the hybrid.
Sponsored