Panther City Outdoors

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On cold mornings my hybrid gets from 9-28 mpg (avg 26.5) for 2.5 mile trip for coffee . On the way back, I average 36-46 mpg. It's basically the same level each way too.
Sponsored

HughdMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks everyone. I’m coming into this from a Ram 1500 Hemi, so this fuel mileage is so very different from the 15 or so I got before, but it is so much less truck too. Just trying to maximize the change.
I know the feeling. I came from a RAM 1500 Quad and a Taco 4-door, 14mpg and 17mpg respectively.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This particular drive is to work. This morning it was about 38 degrees. It is my first hybrid, what I have been focusing on it the “instantaneous mpg” reading as I have been trying to find the areas of my driving that are in electric. My overall mpg is around 45 since I’ve had it. Last week I was around 50, however since last week I’m down to 46. I know it’s a silly complaint, but my frustration kicks in when things aren’t consistent. This drive is about 7 miles in total.
Could be that “last week” was the abberation.

RobN

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got my Maverick in October, just as the weather turned cold (for my area, at least). I've only topped 40 mgp at one fillup - I'm usually around 38 so far (based on the odometer and pump - around 39 based on the computer). I'm hopeful that will improve in the summer, but I can already tell some types of driving (and load) affect my mileage.

But I also refuse to drive like a hybrid owner who is staring at the gauge more than the road - none of this 0-60 in 2.9 minutes for me. I'm not accelerating like I'm at a drag strip, but I'm not making the drivers behind me cuss me out, either.

On a different but related note, watch the regenerative breaking - make sure you're creating at least some of it by using the brake pedal (not just coasting), especially when there are people behind you. The advice someone offered to use slippery mode seems to work by aggressively using regenerative braking any time you're not on the accelerator, but if your foot's not on the brake, your brake lights may not be on. Give the person behind you all the warning you can to reduce the risk they'll be surprised and react late.

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The EV coach aka brake coach is a good tool to use for real time. When I’m breaking I work to keep the bar out of the white all the way to the stop. It will help you to gauge whether you are breaking too late or too hard. If you keep out of the white when breaking you will get 100% energy returned each time.

When driving try to keep on the blue and green as much as possible but really if you are getting the milage you claim upon fill ups you are doing quite well. Ignore the real time mph.
EV coach and brake coach are different things. EV coach is a specific display, with a bar that will display blue for EV, white for hybrid and green for regen braking. Brake coach gives you a score, out of 100, after completing a complete stop (or very close) and pops up on the screen for a couple seconds.

Sponsored

Bruce W

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Latiat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have had my XLT Hybrid for about 2 months now. This week for some reason, areas that are typically run in “electric” are not, and it’s digging into my fuel mileage. Is this normal? Still not running air or heat, but stretches of road that had previously been covered in electric are now being covered in the gas and at less than 20mpg. Am I looking at a problem or has this week been an anomaly? Or worse, was the previous time on electric an anomaly?
Do you use the Eco mode?

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
EV coach and brake coach are different things. EV coach is a specific display, with a bar that will display blue for EV, white for hybrid and green for regen braking. Brake coach gives you a score, out of 100, after completing a complete stop (or very close) and pops up on the screen for a couple seconds.
Well isn’t it the same screen? Please share.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok I s
Brake Coach is an overlain "pop up"

image.jpg

ML8fS4V8JTRbRLrNYGb_1CacAQv3rdDGa-mGjIPzy-s.jpg

143b1cf2-bd2a-4ea8-9884-312361985724-jpeg.jpg
Ok I see what you are saying. Yes as long as you don’t let the EV coach go in to the white when breaking you will always get a 100% brake coach score.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

EV Coach & Brake Coach are two different screens. You can enable/disable either or both of them separately, in the instrument cluster settings, using the steering wheel menu. They also display differently in different trim levels.

100% on the Brake Coach (when reaching a full stop) means that you used Regenerative braking for that entire braking event. IOW, you used motor/generator 100% to stop, so all of the braking went to charge the battery and none of it was wasted by friction braking with the brake pads.

Learning to use the Brake Coach will save fuel. And you might go 200k before you need that first brake job. Keeps your fancy wheels looking cleaner longer, too, due to significantly reduced brake pad wear.

Sponsored

Enchalada

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

AleeR

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've only put on about 450 miles on this thing so far, but I've noticed with slightly hilly conditions (and occasionally on straight aways), if it's chugging away on hybrid mode (ie, gas engine is on) and doesn't seem to want to engage into electric, I find if I let off the accelerator just a bit and feather back on, it'll kick into electric mode far more often than not, then I can cruise in that mode for a little while.

For short drives, if I let it linger in hybrid mode the majority of the drive, I might end up with 24mpg or less. If I make more of an effort to engage the electric mode, then I'll consistently hit around 45-50mpg, with an all time high of 70.

Enchalada

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

HughdMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have had my XLT Hybrid for about 2 months now. This week for some reason, areas that are typically run in “electric” are not, and it’s digging into my fuel mileage. Is this normal? Still not running air or heat, but stretches of road that had previously been covered in electric are now being covered in the gas and at less than 20mpg. Am I looking at a problem or has this week been an anomaly? Or worse, was the previous time on electric an anomaly?
Luckily, my other car is a Chevy Volt (PHEV) so I am not trained to drive "EV Style". I use cruise control, stay under 60mph and don't accelerate more than 20% (usually). The dashboard guestamater usually says I'm getting 44mpg, but when I do the math it's about 41mpg. However, yesterday with ambient temperature in the afternoon around 60 and using no AC or heat I got 48mpg on the guesstimater. I'll need to fill up this week and see what the real numbers are.

Ford Maverick Hybrid question 48m
Sponsored