Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
I
Holy smokes, 40MPG overall with putting a load on the truck (for a short time) and driving 114 miles is still amazing... I'm excited....
Wonder why Ford didn't have a plug to recharge the battery overnight so one could run longer on electric. It would even increase the mpg's
Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I

Wonder why Ford didn't have a plug to recharge the battery overnight so one could run longer on electric. It would even increase the mpg's
Because to make a PHEV worth it, the Maverick would need a battery at least 10x bigger. That would drive up the costs significantly.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Because to make a PHEV worth it, the Maverick would need a battery at least 10x bigger. That would drive up the costs significantly.
It wouldn't need to be that much bigger, however I think there would be other impacts to make it feasible such as the size/power of the electric-only drivetrain that would also increase the cost. Instead of having a shared drivetrain, a PHEV is (if I understand most of them) typically an electric motor only, with the gas engine used to generate additional power for the batteries to continue longer distances - that may not always be the case though and I reserve the right to be wrong!

That said, I generally love the idea of PHEVs as the range (generally) covers so many daily drive use cases.

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
There is a mpg calibration for the vehicle which will likely get you -/+0.5 mpg from accurate. Why this is not required by law is beyond me. Guess it looks better for people to post fake readings.

Any in vehicle readings should be entertainment purposes only but we have known this for years.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It wouldn't need to be that much bigger, however I think there would be other impacts to make it feasible such as the size/power of the electric-only drivetrain that would also increase the cost. Instead of having a shared drivetrain, a PHEV is (if I understand most of them) typically an electric motor only, with the gas engine used to generate additional power for the batteries to continue longer distances - that may not always be the case though and I reserve the right to be wrong!
Ford's PHEV versions of their ordinary hybrids are still the same drivetrain. Just the electric motor output is greater, the inverter output is greater, the battery is larger, and of course the extra electronics for doing incoming voltage conversion and battery charge management. So more cost, more complexity (especially with moving Maverick's electric motor components in-house), and more electronics in the middle of a integrated circuit component shortage.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

That said, I generally love the idea of PHEVs as the range (generally) covers so many daily drive use cases.
RE: Battery size. The Escape PHEV battery is 10.3x the size of the Maverick's battery and is rated 37 miles in EV. The Escape HEV gets 11% better mileage than the Maverick HEV, so to equal that relatively middle of the road EV range a PHEV Maverick would likely need a battery about 16kwh (almost 15x).
RE drivetrain: I'm not sure a Maverick PHEV would require a significantly different power train since the traction motor is capable of 130hp+ and ample torque. I've never looked, but I believe the Escape PHEV uses a similar electric drivetrain as the HEV (but I may be wrong about that).

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
RE: Battery size. The Escape PHEV battery is 10.3x the size of the Maverick's battery and is rated 37 miles in EV. The Escape HEV gets 11% better mileage than the Maverick HEV, so to equal that relatively middle of the road EV range a PHEV Maverick would likely need a battery about 16kwh (almost 15x).
RE drivetrain: I'm not sure a Maverick PHEV would require a significantly different power train since the traction motor is capable of 130hp+ and ample torque. I've never looked, but I believe the Escape PHEV uses a similar electric drivetrain as the HEV (but I may be wrong about that).
Is it correct to assume most PHEV's can run on full electric HVB power source for the full range of speed, or does ICE still come on in PHEV's (with full battery SOC, for example) if you're flooring it or towing or accelerating at high speeds?

Like, if I had a PHEV, but my commute was short 5-minute shot up a huge hill and I floored it up to 80mph every time, would I be using all electric if I have full battery SOC.... or does it just depend on the PHEV model and there are different styles?

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is it correct to assume most PHEV's can run on full electric HVB power source for the full range of speed, or does ICE still come on in PHEV's (with full battery SOC, for example) if you're flooring it or towing or accelerating at high speeds?

Like, if I had a PHEV, but my commute was short 5-minute shot up a huge hill and I floored it up to 80mph every time, would I be using all electric if I have full battery SOC.... or does it just depend on the PHEV model and there are different styles?
I'm not sure how the escape handles it, but I believe the Rav4 Prime will let you select EV mode and it will complete ignore the ICE until the battery runs down to a certain level. But I believe the Rav4 Prime has an upgraded electric power train versus the Rav4 HEV (since the Prime can do sub 6 sec 0-60). Anyway, I'd assume the Escape can do some similar EV mode.

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've manually tracked mpgs for my Prius v for over 50k miles at fuelly.com The computer is always optimistic (anywhere from 1-5 mpgs) I never overfill like they did and let the pump shutoff on its only unless its the rare occurrence of a finicky pump that won't stay on.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

My Volt would run all-electric in this scenario.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford's PHEV versions of their ordinary hybrids are still the same drivetrain. Just the electric motor output is greater, the inverter output is greater, the battery is larger, and of course the extra electronics for doing incoming voltage conversion and battery charge management. So more cost, more complexity (especially with moving Maverick's electric motor components in-house), and more electronics in the middle of a integrated circuit component shortage.
And more liability. Never hear of hybrids burning up, its usually plugins or pure EVs, with problems caused during charging.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...lack-eye-for-electrified-vehicles/3667917001/

Dr. Evil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge, Boeing 787 Dreamliner
Wow -- I'm kind of astounded by almost everyone saying the on board computers gives optimistic mpg numbers, sometimes wildly so.

My 2013 Edge had 105,000 miles on it and I checked the gas mileage manually every single time I filled up. The computer and the actual calculation are very very close. Almost always within .5 mpg and usually closer - within .1-.3 mpg, sometimes the computer showing better mileage sometimes lower than actual. But I don't think I've had a discrepancy greater than 1 mpg more than once or twice over 105,000 miles!

I always fill up the same way -- I let it click off, then wait maybe 10 seconds and hit it again until it clicks off, so the procedure is always the same. My tank is 18.5 gallons and I almost always wait until the car says I'm at or below 50 miles to empty before filling up. Generally, it takes 15 to 17 gallons to fill up.

Also, nobody has mentioned the effect temperature can have on the amount of fuel needed to fill up. Warm weather causes the gas to expand, requiring less to fill the tank. So if you fill up warm and then refill when it's cold you might take more fuel than if both times were the same temperature.

My 2013 Edge is AWD V-6 with a rating of 18/21/25. Over the entire life of the vehicle I averaged 19.0 according to the computer which has proven to be pretty spot-on accurate. Many times in city driving it's shown me to be getting 16-17 mpg or worse and it knows what it's talking about. I only hit 25 mpg twice, both 100% highway with an egg under my foot :D. It actually hit 26. But those were definitely exceptions to the usually suckie gas mileage it got.

I just got a brand new Edge 2.0 FWD. It's rated at 21/24/29. I'm still on the first tank but so far the computer gave me 29.3 on an 85 mile highway trip that also included about 30 miles of city driving before the trip, which would suggest I did better than 30 on the highway portion. Since then it's been over 200 miles of city driving and it's still showing 26.7. So it's definitely gonna be waaay better than the old V-6 Edge.

I'm still on that first tank so I'll let you know how the manual calculation compares to the computer. BUT the dealer filled up this first tank and I have no idea whether they added more gas after it clicked off or not. If not, I do add more so that will give me a lower reading. I'll let you guys know.

My hybrid Maverick has been on order since summer and still no word from Ford other than "next year" so I have no idea when it will show up. But the reviews have been very good. I just watched one tonight on PBS's Motor Week, and they gave it very high praise.

Yardtruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2006 Sienna 2016
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your vehicle knows to a very high level of precision how much fuel its putting into the engine. I'd wager either the error is intentional, or you're just suffering from the problem with most vehicles where when the vehicle reads 75mph you're actually only going 73mph on your GPS due to some built in error on the side of caution with regard to speed so you can't sue Ford when you get a speeding ticket.

First set of replacement tires I usually go just a tick higher profile for that reason to fix the speedo which in theory should also fix the MPG since the vehicle no longer thinks I traveled a further distance than I actually did that tank.
The standard tires are ....
225/65R17 A/S...so, what would you likely buy as a replacement as "a tick higher."

Jetfixer

First Name
Janson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Big Horn RWD
This is exactly why I’m getting a Maverick xlt hybrid. My 2019 Ram averages 18 city mpg. And I commute 60 miles a day so I should be using less than half the gas of the Ram.
Sponsored