First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Holy smokes, 40MPG overall with putting a load on the truck (for a short time) and driving 114 miles is still amazing... I'm excited....

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
Awesome video! Keep’em comin’!

Great comparison. Man, that mileage is good. I’ve been wondering if the bed cover affects the aerodynamics and, thus, mpg at all. I’d be curious to see the same test w/ a bed cover.

Thanks for posting! I love the videos!

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the video they do a 30 second delay after the pump first clicks off then force more gas into the vehicles until it again shuts off. Doing that on the Maverick is possibly harmful:

WARNING: Stop refueling when the fuel pump nozzle automatically shuts off for the first time. Failure to follow this will fill the expansion space in the fuel tank.

The warning is from the Maverick User's Manual and is for both the Maverick Hybrid and EcoBoost.

Ford Maverick Hybrid Maverick 2.5 MPG Mileage Test - by TFL Furling Hybrid.JPG

Ford Maverick Hybrid Maverick 2.5 MPG Mileage Test - by TFL Fueling EcoBoost.JPG

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the video they do a 30 second delay after the pump first clicks off then force more gas into the vehicles until it again shuts off. Doing that on the Maverick is possibly harmful:

WARNING: Stop refueling when the fuel pump nozzle automatically shuts off for the first time. Failure to follow this will fill the expansion space in the fuel tank.

The warning is from the Maverick User's Manual and is for both the Maverick Hybrid and EcoBoost.
114 miles divided by 2.236 gallons from the first shutoff equals 50.98 MPG. But they did use the same method to fill up originally, so....

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good numbers but the onboard calculator was way too optimistic. I’ve noticed on my EB that the computer has been averaging 2-3mpg better than what I calculate by hand.
I'm typically about 1.5mpg optimistic, which translates to about 4 to 5 percent.

Sitting at 26.7 which is trending up again, next tank will be above average.

Given such a lie amount of fuel used in the video, I feel like the one click method ends up being more susceptible to random variance. The drive up the mountainside likely also could have had a more adverse affect on the hybrid than the ram, but it is still great to see such performance in conditions that are much more harsh than most hybrids would ever see.

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve been wondering if the bed cover affects the aerodynamics and, thus, mpg at all.
I'm hoping a tonneau cover legitimately helps MPG by a couple percentage points, thereby negating the couple of percentage points I'll probably lose by putting AT tires on!

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
114 miles divided by 2.236 gallons from the first shutoff equals 50.98 MPG. But they did use the same method to fill up originally, so....
Yes the test was valid but I just wanted to point out the warning.

Most modern vehicles state to stop filling when the pump clicks off.

When I fill-up I start at the fast level notch and then switch to the slowest level when about 2 gallons are left to fill.

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Holy smokes, 40MPG overall with putting a load on the truck (for a short time) and driving 114 miles is still amazing... I'm excited....
And what a load it was

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good numbers but the onboard calculator was way too optimistic. I’ve noticed on my EB that the computer has been averaging 2-3mpg better than what I calculate by hand.
Your vehicle knows to a very high level of precision how much fuel its putting into the engine. I'd wager either the error is intentional, or you're just suffering from the problem with most vehicles where when the vehicle reads 75mph you're actually only going 73mph on your GPS due to some built in error on the side of caution with regard to speed so you can't sue Ford when you get a speeding ticket.

First set of replacement tires I usually go just a tick higher profile for that reason to fix the speedo which in theory should also fix the MPG since the vehicle no longer thinks I traveled a further distance than I actually did that tank.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm typically about 1.5mpg optimistic, which translates to about 4 to 5 percent.

Sitting at 26.7 which is trending up again, next tank will be above average.

Given such a lie amount of fuel used in the video, I feel like the one click method ends up being more susceptible to random variance. The drive up the mountainside likely also could have had a more adverse affect on the hybrid than the ram, but it is still great to see such performance in conditions that are much more harsh than most hybrids would ever see.
After about 600 miles, my overall average is also trending up at about 26.7 mpg. Good stuff.
Sponsored