Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I experience no clunks/bangs or sudden hard grabs. Only braking weirdness I've had is the stop and go quirk where easing brakes to creep requires more pedal travel than expected on reapplication. Have always driven in Eco or Slippery and typically Low mode after the first month or so.
Sponsored

JB330ci

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid, BMW M2, Lexus RX450h
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have noticed that too...a *clunk* as the brakes grab and abruptly stop the truck. It doesn't do it every time, but often enough that it is a nuisance. Is that normal or something that should be addressed by Ford?
I have experienced the same brake clunking three or four times so far at creeping speeds in the parking garage at work. Once it was so loud that scared the sh-t out of the guy walking right next. Not every time but it happens and it's unpredictable. Understand it's the hybrid regen brake thing and hopefully Ford could come up with something in the near future to address it. BTW I have driven hybrids for a long time and never had the same issue on other hybrids.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAC

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Getting tired of the grabby friction brakes. It is really annoying and results in a messy shirt every once in a while.

Last edited:

HTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am a roll over 2022 fixing to order as 2023. Wanted a hybrid but leary of the low speed brake issues. Is this a problem that affects all hybrid maverick's. What percent have this problem? anyone know? I am on fence about reordering as an eco simply due to brake issues. How widespread and big a problem is it , and is it likely to be fixable? Thanks
Thanks for posting this. I have had the same question for while now and with ordering opening up again I really need to decide on a powertrain. I donā€™t drive a lot but is all city so Iā€™d like the hybrid. May pass this down to my son in a few years who would be a new driver but thatā€™s even more concerning if itā€™s as unpredictable as Iā€™ve read.

Sponsored

JB330ci

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid, BMW M2, Lexus RX450h
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for posting this. I have had the same question for while now and with ordering opening up again I really need to decide on a powertrain. I donā€™t drive a lot but is all city so Iā€™d like the hybrid. May pass this down to my son in a few years who would be a new driver but thatā€™s even more concerning if itā€™s as unpredictable as Iā€™ve read.
In normal driving conditions the brake works out fine. It's just at creeping speeds, either rolling to a stop or at slow crawling speeds in parking lot the brake sometimes grabs all of a sudden, or you need to stomp it to make it stop. In other words, it's not linear and not predictable. Once in a while it will give you a heavy thud, sounds like some metal parts got stressed out and all of a sudden the strain is released making a clunk sound. First time it happened I thought something at the bottom fell off. Once you know it's going to happen like that you kind of expect it and cope with it. If it happens it happens if it doesn't you tell yourself "maybe next time. It's a Ford, what do you expect?" LOL. Seriously I think it could be corrected by updating software algorithms on this drive-by-wire brake issue.

The fuel efficiency is fantastic. I am getting like 45 mpg average over 2000+ miles, highway and local combined. If I push it I could get over 50+ mpg, even over 60 mpg occasionally. It's relatively quiet, nimble, comfortable, and roomy. Everything else is fine so far. knock on wood.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Ren, I agree, you have to drive it differently, one pedal operation, and the braking requires operator adjustment.

Today, I noticed I was coming to vehicle stoppage, right before total brakeage, still regening, all of a sudden regen stopped and switched over to friction brake, I let off, it was very quick changeover and I would have barked the tires if I didn't let off.

It was so quick!!! Regen quit, friction brake application, bam done.

If I was to program software, I don't think I would cut the regen that drastically at that point. I could see this as a problem to most drivers.

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I was leaving a concert last night and OMG I was having a terrible time between trying to not run people over and not run into other cars.

Has anyone taken their truck to the dealer for this issue? I want to go but it is obviously very inconvenient to be without a vehicle for who knows how long

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello. 4,000 plus miles on my hybrid Lariat and no braking problems. As many have pointed out, the regenerative braking does 'feel' a bit sensitive especially when you brake for the first time at a low speed. My advice is to activate the Braking Coach (Settings on your display over the steering wheel). It will help you learn better braking habits. In fact, I have carried over those habits (braking earlier and more gently) over to my other vehicles.
Bottom line, this should not be a deal breaker for the many advantages of the hybrid.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am a roll over 2022 fixing to order as 2023. Wanted a hybrid but leary of the low speed brake issues. Is this a problem that affects all hybrid maverick's. What percent have this problem? anyone know? I am on fence about reordering as an eco simply due to brake issues. How widespread and big a problem is it , and is it likely to be fixable? Thanks
From what I've heard form all kinds of hybrid owners it's not a problem, just a little something to get used to.

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have noticed that too...a *clunk* as the brakes grab and abruptly stop the truck. It doesn't do it every time, but often enough that it is a nuisance. Is that normal or something that should be addressed by Ford?
I have the dreaded CLUNK also along with the light grab, In stop and go traffic I've found that if you put the truck in low gear seems to help. I still believe it maybe a software issue šŸ¤”

OpieGoneBad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had my Hybrid for a few months now and have only had the "braking issue" happen a couple of times. It really isn't that big of a deal, just a bit of a surprise the first time it happens. Because it is a hybrid, braking is a little different than a ICE vehicle but nothing you can't get used to in a few minutes of driving.

I just ordered a second hybrid Mav this morning so to me, the "braking issue" wasn't a deal breaker at all. I figure Ford will most likely get it figured out and do a software update to fix it.

tapac333

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T$
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
lol people acting like they never drove an old Prius before. That's how regenerative braking works people. don't hate the system, it's saving you gas.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hybrid (received April 1st) has 9,000 miles on it now. I am quite fond of the vehicle and really like the 40+ mpg I get. However, the one true complaint would be the braking. It is STUPID sensitive. Too the point where I am worried that I might be rear-ended at a light when I am inching along and it "grabs" really hard and abruptly stops. I am also concerned when someone else in my family drives the vehicle as I've been driving it daily and still haven't gotten used to it. Lets hope that a recall/fix is coming in the near future...
When inching along at a light you can minimize use of hydraulic brakes by pressing the "L" button which will put trans mission in low "gear" which increases the level of Regen braking. This apparently lowers the hydraulic brake pressure needed to stop at really slow speeds. I haven't paid real close attention but in low at 20-25(or higher)mph when you take foot off accelerator the Regen power brake needle will go to 100% (not sure but if you are in eco and push L button Regen seems a bit more than at standard with L pushed. You may even be able to handle inching along with very seldom using brake pedal. Note that low will rapidly (15-20 minutes?) charge battery to the point that the engine braking will be activated to slow truck. Engine braking in low particularly if it occurs at 35-40 mph as it can be quite loud and might frighten you if you are not used to it. I use low frequently and just turn it off at 45 mph or when engine braking occurs. Try it I do believe it helps computer operating in standard and eco also. Manual says you can activate/deactivate low at any time and speed and that excessive use can reduce mpg.
Sponsored