Sponsored

How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick?

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there any sleek solution to carry long items with the maverick? I will rarely need this so ideally something that does not impact too much the mpg or removed quickly and of course keep the pickup looking good.
I see different ideas around but I never had a pickup so asking. I feel the roof is too short to just use foam blocks..
I also have the need to occasionally move snowblower but could not see any single accessory that could do both, i.e. be used to carry kayak/lumber and snowblower/lawnmower

Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1627649341253

Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1627649488761
Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1627649536802

Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1627649617556

Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1627652117294

Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1627652671573

Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1627653699911
Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1627653785765

Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1627650378963

PS: this is a website where I found some ideas and law requirements:
https://www.watersportswhiz.com/how-to-transport-a-kayak-in-a-truck/
The United States DOT (Department of Transportation)
The cargo can overhang the truck by 4 feet in the rear, 3 feet in the front, and 4 inches on the truck’s sides.
Some states have additional restrictions, while others have higher-than-average overhang limits – a few examples being:
  • Arizona – Allows a 6-foot rear overhang
  • Colorado – Allows a 10-foot rear overhang
  • Louisiana – Allows an 8-foot rear overhang
  • Oregon – Allows a 5-foot rear overhang
  • Pennsylvania – Allows a 6-foot rear overhang
  • Washington – Allows a 15-foot rear overhang
And some have no restrictions at all, like Michigan and Nebraska.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think I would go this route on my Mav. Looks easy to set-up and remove, and very stable. Does not do anything for a snowblower/lawnmower, however, but do you have a unit that won't fit in the bed?

And some have no restrictions at all, like Michigan and Nebraska.
And that is Pure Michigan.

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I plan to use something like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed-extender-69650.html

However, I'm not sure what the maximum overhang allowed in FL is, I've seen that national DOT limit of 4 feet, then other references to 9 and 15 feet. Most weekends it's under 10 miles to my location (some under 2!) if I go further I would probably look for a rack.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think I would go this route on my Mav. Looks easy to set-up and remove, and very stable. Does not do anything for a snowblower/lawnmower, however, but do you have a unit that won't fit in the bed?

And that is Pure Michigan.
I agree. This will be my approach for carrying my 15.5’ touring boat.
Thanks to Pep for posting those pics.

Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are there post holes for lumber racks like this?

I've looked at several pics of the bed from above in the past and don't see plugs or cutouts for where posts would be inserted. The plastic cladding covers up the tops of the bed walls.

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are there post holes for lumber racks like this?

I've looked at several pics of the bed from above in the past and don't see plugs or cutouts for where posts would be inserted. The plastic cladding covers up the tops of the bed walls.
No stake pockets. Would instead have to use clamp-on style bed racks, or maybe bolt in to the tie-down locations.

Sponsored

LadyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I plan to use something like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed-extender-69650.html

However, I'm not sure what the maximum overhang allowed in FL is, I've seen that national DOT limit of 4 feet, then other references to 9 and 15 feet. Most weekends it's under 10 miles to my location (some under 2!) if I go further I would probably look for a rack.
Thanks for sharing that link for Harbor Freight, that's a great deal! California overhang can only be 4', my kayak is 10.5'
Does anyone know the full length of the bed with the tailgate down?

LadyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
California allows cargo to overhang a vehicle by 4 feet beyond the rear, 3 feet beyond the front and 4 inches beyond the side of the vehicle.

4' beyond the rear? Rear of vehicle or the end of the tailgate? My current truck has a 6' bed so I haven't had to think about this. If you use a hitch bed extender, like the one from Harbor freight, is it 4' overhang beyond the end of that?

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No stake pockets.
Dang. Thanks for confirming.

I'm looking at our hauling kayaks & bikes too and was hoping to be proved wrong about no pockets/holes. :(

OP
OP
Peps

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No stake pockets. Would instead have to use clamp-on style bed racks, or maybe bolt in to the tie-down locations.
If I think how much time the ford marketing people spoke about the "revolutionary" 1-liter bottle insert in the doors and that silly 3d printed accessories...:mad:
installation of racks and how flexible your truck can be would have helped more. By teh way I see racks available when ordering the truck not sure I understand their exact style...

Jimayverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick EB FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I currently use a Boondox T Bone on my Colorado to haul my 10 foot kayak. It’s lightweight and attaches to the hitch receiver. With my 5 foot bed, the yak sticks out mere inches from the T Bone bar. Add six inches with the 4.5 foot bed and it should work just fine. It’s $219, admittedly a little pricey for some, but can’t beat the convenience.
Sponsored