Sponsored

How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick?

66six

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius / 22 Ford Mavrick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am under 6 ft.tall and I don’t even own a bicycle or kayak … this site is getting goofy.
Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 319A9A23-5170-4B62-9FEB-B2BFA59C9A26
Sponsored

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm pretty sure it's 4 foot overhang if you don't put an orange flag on it. I think you can go to 10 feet back if you put a flag on the back of the kayak.
Reading it right now, this seems correct- texted a buddy who is CHP to verify…he will likely laugh at me and tel me no one is looking for that

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If flagging is all that is needed and given that I have hobbies that tie down through the well for the pedals- probably going with the Yakima bedrocks for the kayaks

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same thing with my current Dodge Journey. It's hard not to look at another SUV, based on how easy it is to carry 8' 2x4's or 10' lengths of conduit/pipe inside. Like you mentioned, I'm waiting to see what Ford or the aftermarket comes up with for a single roof rack, to work in conjunction with an equal-height one back by the tailgate.

HRG
Trucks without roof rack provisions are not new, and 2 aftermarket solutions already exist for many years:
1) The type that clamp on the top of your door openings and scratch/dent/abrade your paint and deform/defeat your door seals so they leak
OR
2) They type that you drill into the roof to attach a fixed mounting point or a linear track so you can re-position crossbars fore/aft.

Unfortunately many manufacturers think this means they can avoid providing roof rack attachments, and the small % who want one will go the aftermarket route. It probably does not outweigh the cost and liability is my guess.

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
1630931243553.jpeg

I’ve built a set of adjustable racks for a utility trailer I built 20+ years ago. The top level will allow me to carry my 16’ touring boat as well.

The top boat is 12.5’ and the lower boat is 10’ wwIII boat.

All I need now is a Mav to haul it with. 🤣😊
WWIII, did I miss something? lol

On a serious note, I am really leaning to this solution as well. A utility trailer can haul all kinds of things (furniture, appliances, building or landscaping supplies), and you can always add some more framework to carry bikes or boats like "The Weatherman" has shown us a great example.

Sponsored

Rowerwet

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 frontier, 2016 grand Caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford has shown a clamp on roof rack in their accessories. I would expect a roof rail from a baby bronco to fit the roof of the maverick, possibly with some modifications.
Either way, Yakima and Thule will be coming out with options for sure

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
WWIII, did I miss something? lol

On a serious note, I am really leaning to this solution as well. A utility trailer can haul all kinds of things (furniture, appliances, building or landscaping supplies), and you can always add some more framework to carry bikes or boats like "The Weatherman" has shown us a great example.
WWIII - Whitewater class III rated.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford has shown a clamp on roof rack in their accessories. I would expect a roof rail from a baby bronco to fit the roof of the maverick, possibly with some modifications.
Either way, Yakima and Thule will be coming out with options for sure
Hello Rowerwet, good to see you on this forum. I’m Sawfish kayak builder #30. For those of you interested in building an inexpensive, lightweight kayak, search “sawfish kayak “ on Instructables.com.

FrankMG

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
1630931243553.jpeg

I’ve built a set of adjustable racks for a utility trailer I built 20+ years ago. The top level will allow me to carry my 16’ touring boat as well.

The top boat is 12.5’ and the lower boat is 10’ wwIII boat.

All I need now is a Mav to haul it with. 🤣😊
Thx for sharing and inspiration! Nice dogs btw. What is the average price for similar ready-to-go solutions? I mean how profitable would it be to make this one by myself? Usual truck racks are disgusting, got one from Apex(this).

Last edited:

Lyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Trucks without roof rack provisions are not new, and 2 aftermarket solutions already exist for many years:
1) The type that clamp on the top of your door openings and scratch/dent/abrade your paint and deform/defeat your door seals so they leak
OR
2) They type that you drill into the roof to attach a fixed mounting point or a linear track so you can re-position crossbars fore/aft.

Unfortunately many manufacturers think this means they can avoid providing roof rack attachments, and the small % who want one will go the aftermarket route. It probably does not outweigh the cost and liability is my guess.
I used a Yakima clamp on roof rack on my Dakota hauling a 14.5‘ yak for at least 5 years without any of the issues you listed.

Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thx for sharing and inspiration! Nice dogs btw. What is the average price for similar ready-to-go solutions? I mean how profitable would it be to make this one by myself?
I can’t answer that directly, but I doubt you can buy one similar to it for less than $1,200-$1,500.

I built the trailer many years ago for about $300. The metal to build the racks that I added cost me $150 just a couple of months ago.

From what I’ve seen on Yakima racks system they cost as much as a small trailer.

Comet71

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Comet 71
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Ford Mercury Comet
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have 2 kayaks and I like this Idea! Plus you will have plenty of room on the bed. (y)

Ford Maverick How would you transport a 14' kayak or long pieces of lumber on a maverick? 1639150606920
Sponsored