Sponsored

how to jack truck to put it on jack stands.

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
can you explain how you get the truck up in the air in the first place? If I put a jack in any of the 4 spots you have shown me there is not enough room to place a jack stand.

On the underside there are spots I circled in red that should hold a jack stand if I use the pinch weld to jack the truck up. I just don't know which spots will work.

underside.jpg
I actually got a great deal on a spreader bar from harbor freight. I put the one side right next to the pinch weld and I can get both tires up. I was originally just worried about bending a pinch weld. I just didn't know. Now that I do, there isn't a problem.
I did find something titled "steel cross beam" picture shows to pads. price $70. Is that what you bought? If that is the item you purchased to help, where in fact did those 2 pads rest/locate at under the truck
Sponsored

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since I change my own oil I purchased some hockey puck looking hard plastic pieces on Amazon that sit on my floor jack. These have slots cut in them to accommodate the pinch weld. I bought these for my Transit Connect but I’m sure they would work for the maverick. I’m a January order so it will be quite a while before I get to use them on my Maverick.
I have actual hockey pucks that I cut slots in with a circular saw 😁

OP
OP

psuarmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did find something titled "steel cross beam" picture shows to pads. price $70. Is that what you bought? If that is the item you purchased to help, where in fact did those 2 pads rest/locate at under the truck
That is what I got. I put the one pad just behind the front Jack point. As close as I can get and still get a Jack stand on the Jack point. Then I spread the beam as far as it goes. More then enough support to get the truck up for Jack stands.

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is what I got. I put the one pad just behind the front Jack point. As close as I can get and still get a Jack stand on the Jack point. Then I spread the beam as far as it goes. More then enough support to get the truck up for Jack stands.
If you'll be so kind. Just bit clarification. After spreading the beam as far as it goes: Where do you place the second pad after spreading it?
I have a hydraulic jack, couldn't I place the pad at the same location, behind the front jack point, without buying the spreader. I live in an apartment building and don't have storage space for the spreader.
i see what you bought as being more convenient without a doubt. But it appears you could do the same with a hydraulic jack with a pad, your placing the jack pad right behind the pinch weld, and its wide enough behind to put the pad. Because you still put the jack and stand in same position according to what you said. Right?

So there is strong metal behind the pinch weld. Correct?? And then after jacking it up, you put the jack stand right under the pinch weld, right?

Did you notice there is a 3 layer pinch weld and a 2 layer pinch weld right beside the 3 layer?

Don't have a place to store equipment because I live in apartment. but would love to have the spreader. Thanks for any confirmation or understandings.

Sponsored

OP
OP

psuarmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you'll be so kind. Just bit clarification. After spreading the beam as far as it goes: Where do you place the second pad after spreading it?
I have a hydraulic jack, couldn't I place the pad at the same location, behind the front jack point, without buying the spreader. I live in an apartment building and don't have storage space for the spreader.

i see what you bought as being more convenient without a doubt. But it appears you could do the same with a hydraulic jack with a pad, your placing the jack pad right behind the pinch weld, and its wide enough behind to put the pad. Because you still put the jack and stand in same position according to what you said. Right?

So there is strong metal behind the pinch weld. Correct?? And then after jacking it up, you put the jack stand right under the pinch weld, right?

Did you notice there is a 3 layer pinch weld and a 2 layer pinch weld right beside the 3 layer?

Don't have a place to store equipment because I live in apartment. but would love to have the spreader. Thanks for any confirmation or understandings.
Yes you could do the same with bottle jacks. It would be more work but can be done. However I am not a mechanic or a car guy. I am someone who is too cheap and untrusting to pay someone if I can do it myself. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

With the spreader bar it jacks the truck up at the same time. If you put a jack under the front jack point and go high enough the back tire will come off the ground. So the front jack point is strong enough to hold the whole side, though I don't know how good it is to do it. With the spreader bar the back pad is just assisting until I can get jack stands under it. If you would put two bottle jack right beside the jack points and raise them together that should work until you get jack stands under it.

Also find someone who plays hockey. they always have used pucks around and they work great for pads.

xl2023

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Toyota Yaris
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got a unijack that I've only used once to swap the wheels when i first got the vehicle. I am trying to decide if I want to try rotating the tires. I don't know what I will do... seems like a hassle.

Thinking I could rotate through with the spare and one jack.

I think it would be hard to jack at the proper point and put a jack stand in there -- obviously can only fit one thing at the arrow, so would have to hold it further in. Not sure if this is a real concern or not.

Or, I could buy more unijacks...

WetsideMav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've jacked up the truck a few ways. First way is jacking up the front, by putting the jack pad under the main bolt were the front lower control arm meets the subframe/ crossmember.

Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. Untitled_Artwork 4

This contact point is the bottom of a thick boxed tube that ascends and bolts directly into the sub-floor of the car. It carries the entire dynamic weight of the truck during driving, so it'll have no problem bearing the weight when the car is static. See red box of second photo.

Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. Untitled_Artwork 2

I got these jack pads with a groove cut in them from amazon to straddle the pinch weld. They're cheap and I'm too lazy to go buy hockey pucks and cut channels in them.

I've found these jack stands to be very sturdy and well constructed.

Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. Untitled_Artwork 3

I place the jack stands at the factory frame rail pinch-weld lift points, where the arrows are on the rocker panels

Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_0008

Lot's of room to spill hot oil on your hands.

Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. Untitled_Artwork 1

Reverse and lower. Ah, forgot to mention, don't forget to set your parking brake and chalk your rear tires at the very beginning.

Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. Untitled_Artwork

Last edited:

WetsideMav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's how I raised the truck yesterday to rotate my tires and ceramic coat the wheels:

-Jacked up front of truck at factory pinch weld lift points, using slotted rubber pucks.

-Placed front jack stands under front main bolt where lower control arm meets subframe (same spot as in previous method).

-Lowered the truck onto jack stands and then moved jack to rear factory lift points using rubber pucks.

-Raised truck and placed jack stands under rear boxed subframe. VERY strong.

Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_0168

If it's not in the way.of the work i'm doing, I like to leave a jack under a lift point, as a safety. There's a second jack on the other side in the same position. A family friend who worked on cars for 40 years was crushed to death when he removed a drive line and forgot set the parking brake and chalk the tires. Bad way to go. So these days I figure it's no sweat to be mindful and try to idiot proof a situation.

Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_0173

Lower truck onto rear jack stands, give the car a really hard shake test, and then make your wheels shine.

Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_0172

Last edited:

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
good idea about the paints. i looked at jack points that are found with the arrows. interesting,
the arrows point directly to the 2 layers of pinch weld, instead of the 3 layers of pinch metal that is about a 1/2 inch away from where arrow points at, which is the 2 layers of pinch weld.
wouldn't it be better to jack at the 3 layers?
Only ford knows for sure. I guess it depends on what the jack points are attached to? I am using the one closest to the arrow.

sanpablo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Shelby GT500, 1999 Ford Windstar
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I understand that there are jack point on the pinch welds, but when I rotate tires I like to pick up my vehicles and put them on jack stands. Also I like to use jack stands when changing oil since I don't have ramps.

Where can I put a jack under the truck to get it up in the air so I can put jack stand on the pinch welds? Or do I have this backwards and I need to jack by the pinch welds and place the jack stands somewhere else?

Pics would be nice if someone can.

Also I was wondering if I could use this jack spreader from Harbor Freight. I was thinking I could put it just back far enough in the from to get a jack stand on the from pinch weld and jack the whole side up. I figure since the back is so light and the weight would be spread out it should be OK. Then I could put jack stands in front and back on one side. The do the same for the other side. Thoughts?
I bought these 3" ramps but also tried floor jack and jack stand on pinch weld today. Ramps will give me enough room to get under there but it is a little tight. Floor jack with jack stand next to it should work ok.

Follow up, 3/3/24. I asked for the UJack for my birthday. Used it Sunday, works great!
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125637
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125621
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125918
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_124805
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125904
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125043
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125147
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125109
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125637
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125621
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125918
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_124805
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125904
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125043
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125147
Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20231110_125109

Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20240303_111329

Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20240303_111347

Ford Maverick how to jack truck to put it on jack stands. IMG_20240303_111356

Last edited:

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your kind for responding. a long while back i had a shop give me oil change, after getting home, checked oil and they left it 2qts low. I also like to save a buck but get an enjoyment out of
doing an oi
[/QUO
see in the video the guy is putting the jack stands possibly a bit to far from the locaton that Ford intended the jack stands to go. What are your thoughts. That would be best for me.

(4) Jacking up the Ford Maverick in a good way! Don't Break Your Ford! - YouTube
And as I said, I have jackstands, they are years old, that has a groove in the support for the pinch weld, it does have a wider arm but in the center there is a groove about half an inch deep for the pinch weld. They work perfectly. If you have a set of stands that don't have a groove that will accept the pnich weld and support it primarily on the pinch weld you should probably check at Autozone or O'Rieleys or even amazon for pinch weld support adapters that will fit your stands. The area just inside the pinch weld where the arrow on the rocker panel cover is, won't handle the weight of the truck, in fact, I don't think there is anywhere on the underside of the truck between the wheels that will support the truck safely other than on the pinch welds.
I have attached an image from the service manual from Ford
jack points.jpg
I have used a bottle jack with 2x2 on top of bottle that I drill a hole in to go over the top. If you look at your diagram above i placed the 2.5 inch block of wood right on that square image just inside of the red circles above. its fine. I did have to stand the jack on top piece of 2x4 to gain height to get tires off ground. After jacking up there is still space to put the jack stands under the pinch weld. And you noted you a rubber groved pad to put on top of jack stands, if preferred.

I think the location to place the bottle neck jack is where a shop would put their pads to hoist the truck up in the air.

Do you know if there is any where in the center of the truck, maybe 5 or 6 inches from the bumper inward to lift the truck up for a hybrid. I did this several times on dodge grand caravan and engine was heavier.

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is it possible to weasel under a hybrid and change the oil without lifting it?
I can do it at 155 pounds, 6 ft. you could also jack it up at bit while still keep the tires on the ground, it would give you additional space. And you could still feel safe
Sponsored