First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan versa
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I first purchased a 2013 Prius C in 2015. It was a MY2013 and had 13,000 miles on it. Drove it until this winter, when it got t-boned and totaled. (Everyone was OK). Its life ended with 249,000 miles on the odometer. Yep, we drove it 236,000 miles in 7 years. Original battery, and still getting 47 or so MPG when it got crushed.
Ordered a 2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid last August. Only add-ons were Spray-In Bedliner, Tow Hitch, and Ford360. Picked it up at the dealer 4 days ago. So far, driving mainly in Eco, getting 47.5 MPG. On pace for almost 600 miles on one tank. Here are the top ways I maximize MPG in a hybridā€¦

1. Donā€™t turn on heat or air conditioning unless totally necessary. Most people donā€™t realize the effect this has on triggering the Hybrid engine to switch over to gas. The weather has cooperated here in western Pennavaria so far. Tip: At lower speeds, drive with the windows down to cool off!​
2. Start slow from stops. This is especially helpful if you are driving in residential areas and other places where the speed limit is 25 or 35. You arenā€™t going to save time getting from point A to point B by starting ā€œfastā€ from a red light or stop sign, but you will burn gas.​
2. Pump and coast on flat roads. Simple.​
3. Coast downhill.​
4.Realize that breaking charges the battery. Break smoothly. Donā€™t slam on the breaks.​
5. In a Maverick, a ā€œlittle green truck on a downhill slopeā€ appears on the dash when you are coasting downhill at a certain slope. This means that the battery is charging​
6. Drive in Eco mode.​

Comment in this thread with your questions or other tips.
DB45C5E8-7E49-4592-A4CD-9F3F17196625.jpeg
That's kind of how I drive anyway even with my 2012 Nissan versa fully gas engine. Thanks for the tips though.

On a side note, I would have taken the batteries out of that old Prius and tried to build something really stupid that I could hurt myself on. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Sponsored

Ronbye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have put 950km on my XL thus far and I am averaging 4.8 litres per 100km which is about
49 miles per U.S. gallon. The techniques mentioned in previous posts is absolutely correct. This gets better gas mileage than my Harley and my previous car, Honda Fit.

22XLThybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT hybrid (order July 21)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd like to add to this. If you keep your power meter under 10% during take off, you can generally avoid running the ICE on takeoff. Of course this depends on incline, The difference between 10 and 15 is negligible as far as acceleration if you're into hypermiling, but avoiding the ICE until it needs to cycle is key. I'm also in Pennsylvania and I agree with the climate control limitation. I see some people just running the compressor constantly on their cars and really don't understand it if it's 62 out work with the air volume and direction first. In this state you can get away with regulating the air only a lot of the time. I'm getting stretches of '50s, even '60s with hypermiling. It drops significantly if you have a heavy foot.

Ford Maverick How to hypermile a hybrid for MPG! PXL_20220428_184200335

KHut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Sportrac, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I fully agree with your tips. In the first month of driving I have been getting 50-55 around town and 40-45 on the highway. Now, with that being said, I don't use the A/C, I drive like a grandmas grandma, and I keep the driver door open and assist with the left foot like Fred Flintstone.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I first purchased a 2013 Prius C in 2015. It was a MY2013 and had 13,000 miles on it. Drove it until this winter, when it got t-boned and totaled. (Everyone was OK). Its life ended with 249,000 miles on the odometer. Yep, we drove it 236,000 miles in 7 years. Original battery, and still getting 47 or so MPG when it got crushed.
Ordered a 2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid last August. Only add-ons were Spray-In Bedliner, Tow Hitch, and Ford360. Picked it up at the dealer 4 days ago. So far, driving mainly in Eco, getting 47.5 MPG. On pace for almost 600 miles on one tank. Here are the top ways I maximize MPG in a hybridā€¦

1. Donā€™t turn on heat or air conditioning unless totally necessary. Most people donā€™t realize the effect this has on triggering the Hybrid engine to switch over to gas. The weather has cooperated here in western Pennavaria so far. Tip: At lower speeds, drive with the windows down to cool off!​
2. Start slow from stops. This is especially helpful if you are driving in residential areas and other places where the speed limit is 25 or 35. You arenā€™t going to save time getting from point A to point B by starting ā€œfastā€ from a red light or stop sign, but you will burn gas.​
3. Coast downhill.​
4.Realize that breaking charges the battery. Break smoothly. Donā€™t slam on the breaks.​
5. In a Maverick, a ā€œlittle green truck on a downhill slopeā€ appears on the dash when you are coasting downhill at a certain slope. This means that the battery is charging​
6. Drive in Eco mode.​

Agreed. All good common sense actions that work with pure ICE vehicles too. In my Buick I try to avoid using the brakes as much as possible. Why speed up to a red light?

Sponsored

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Make the ā€œEV Coachā€ one of your display options on your dash. I found that menu option a few weeks ago and it improves the way I drive dramatically. Makes it a game for me to keep from engaging the gas motor.

gsharky

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

3. Coast downhill.​
6. Drive in Eco mode.​

Good tips but I live in Florida and the AC is never shut off LOL Maybe 2 weeks out of the year.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not mentioned is the caveat that the HVAC system will engage the A/C compressor whenever the DEFROST or MIXED/DEFROST modes are selected. It is to provide dehumidified air to the windshield and help prevent fogging. FWIW.
tom

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The eco lets you control the battery much easier

Jojam3000

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord
Or you can just drive it like you would a normal vehicle and it should still return very good fuel economy by design. I don't like to overthink it. Some people have fun with it, but I'm not into that.
I drive mine pretty regular without much thinking. AC on cause I'm in Florida and getting 37.5mpg average. Not too bad. Was getting 33mpg in my accord.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

How to hypermile? However you want. Just don't do it in front of me. ;)

I'm all for driving sensibly and using strategies to improve fuel mileage.... some folks take it too far though. HURRY UP OR GET OUT THE WAY.
I drive the truck/car gently for milage and longevity but, I gotta get it out of my system so when I'm on my bike I let go. Still averaging 65mpg on the bike. So. When you see me coming please get out of my way.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The eco lets you control the battery much easier
As reported multiple times here and other places - The Eco mode provides a little more electrical generation when braking and coasting downhills, versus Normal mode. Most will only find is worth changing to Eco Mode when on long stretches of freeways that might have various altitude (hilly).

I have driven with the EV Coach, and it definitely helps MPG. And have driven in "Normal" and "Eco" modes and there is never more or less than 1 or 2 MPG variance from either mode. First 3,000 miles manually calculating MPG I'm at a total of 43.2 MPG.

Anyone driving in Houston, TX, Florida or Georgia in selected brutal summer heat needs Air Conditioning...driving in brutal winter cold without turning on the Heat to save one to three MPG is crazy, or simply being cheap.

Mightybeast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There are way more factors for individual MPG. Sush as: weight, loaded or unloaded, tonneau Cover, air filter, direction of wind, tire size and brand.
Personally I find wind and tire size/brand can contribute to about 15% easy. Most tire shops will tell you that getting bigger tire size will give you a better MPG. Unfortunately, it not true due to the fact of rolling resistance, weight, wind resistance,.... . They just trying to get more money from you. Calculations already been done for you by Ford, and better to stick to original since it's already optimal in order to get better MPG. Aggressive tires.... O boy, that's another topic. How many times I saw people complaining about MPG with aggressive tires. Just remember if you hear your tires while driving on highway, its not good - portion of rolling and wind resistance. So, to be clear, if you decided to size up tires, I was told there is an option in CPU to adjust it.
On the other topic. Have some one tried to calculate combined trip mpg after each fill up? How accurate is it? Vs what dashboard says.

Mav Max

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would like to share my experience on a small road trip I took recently with my hybrid Maverick. I usually leave my Mav in normal and average about 34-37mpg freeway. i decided to try eco mode and was a bit more conservative on speed and lightfoot on acceleration. I admit i was a bit surprised to see the mpg result once I arrived at my destination. 45mpg on 100 mile trip! I would also like to mention I ran into traffic on at least 3 different occasions, which more than likely contributed to higher mpg since the maverick was mostly in electric mode in stop-and-go traffic. the trip took 2 hours due to traffic instead of 1.5hr with no traffic.

Ford Maverick How to hypermile a hybrid for MPG! IMG_20220424_173458845~3
Sponsored

Reactions: Aza