Sponsored

MavMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
I first purchased a 2013 Prius C in 2015. It was a MY2013 and had 13,000 miles on it. Drove it until this winter, when it got t-boned and totaled. (Everyone was OK). Its life ended with 249,000 miles on the odometer. Yep, we drove it 236,000 miles in 7 years. Original battery, and still getting 47 or so MPG when it got crushed.
Ordered a 2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid last August. Only add-ons were Spray-In Bedliner, Tow Hitch, and Ford360. Picked it up at the dealer 4 days ago. So far, driving mainly in Eco, getting 47.5 MPG. On pace for almost 600 miles on one tank. Here are the top ways I maximize MPG in a hybrid…

1. Don’t turn on heat or air conditioning unless totally necessary. Most people don’t realize the effect this has on triggering the Hybrid engine to switch over to gas. The weather has cooperated here in western Pennavaria so far. Tip: At lower speeds, drive with the windows down to cool off!​
2. Start slow from stops. This is especially helpful if you are driving in residential areas and other places where the speed limit is 25 or 35. You aren’t going to save time getting from point A to point B by starting “fast” from a red light or stop sign, but you will burn gas.​
2. Pump and coast on flat roads. Simple.​
3. Coast downhill.​
4.Realize that breaking charges the battery. Break smoothly. Don’t slam on the breaks.​
5. In a Maverick, a “little green truck on a downhill slope” appears on the dash when you are coasting downhill at a certain slope. This means that the battery is charging​
6. Drive in Eco mode.​

Comment in this thread with your questions or other tips.
Ford Maverick How to hypermile a hybrid for MPG! DB45C5E8-7E49-4592-A4CD-9F3F17196625
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree but on the maverick if your using it around town the regular mode works as well as eco once I get on the expressway eco is a must. I have 24k on the hybrid and the life time meter is showing 43.9 aver on 24k miles

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thank you for the tips! This will be my, and many other members, first hybrid and it definitely gives me insight on the do’s and don’ts.

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for the tips! This will be my, and many other members, first hybrid and it definitely gives me insight on the do’s and don’ts.
You will find out out your foot control is king it takes some getting used to but once you get will pay you in spades

Sponsored

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Last edited:
OP
OP

MavMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
On the AC and heat topic:
This is why I wrote “unless totally necessary”. Believe it or not, last week here in PA the high on Monday was 84 and the low on Wednesday was 29. I am pointing out that you should use the climate control when needed, and avoid it if you can. With the Prius, during really cold snaps in mid-winter, the heat running would drop the MPG down into the low 40s.

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick Hybrid Motor Generator (or Regen motor) actually charges the battery in 2 ways: when you lift your foot off the accelerator, and when brakes are applied. The technology is the same concept as a PHEV, but without the plug-in.

The eMotor is a new design from Ford similar to that of the Performance/Long Range rear motor on the Tesla Model S and Model 3. (Explanation of concept can be found on YouTube.)

Great time and fun with this hybrid setup, have a Prius V and Sonata Plug-In Hybrid. The Maverick combines the powertrain of both without the plug.

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I first purchased a 2013 Prius C in 2015. It was a MY2013 and had 13,000 miles on it. Drove it until this winter, when it got t-boned and totaled. (Everyone was OK). Its life ended with 249,000 miles on the odometer. Yep, we drove it 236,000 miles in 7 years. Original battery, and still getting 47 or so MPG when it got crushed.
Ordered a 2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid last August. Only add-ons were Spray-In Bedliner, Tow Hitch, and Ford360. Picked it up at the dealer 4 days ago. So far, driving mainly in Eco, getting 47.5 MPG. On pace for almost 600 miles on one tank. Here are the top ways I maximize MPG in a hybrid…
1. Don’t turn on heat or air conditioning unless totally necessary. Most people don’t realize the effect this has on triggering the Hybrid engine to switch over to gas. The weather has cooperated here in western Pennavaria so far. Tip: At lower speeds, drive with the windows down to cool off!
2. Start slow from stops. This is especially helpful if you are driving in residential areas and other places where the speed limit is 25 or 35. You aren’t going to save time getting from point A to point B by starting “fast” from a red light or stop sign, but you will burn gas.
2. Pump and coast on flat roads. Simple.
3. Coast downhill.
4.Realize that breaking charges the battery. Break smoothly. Don’t slam on the breaks.
5. In a Maverick, a “little green truck on a downhill slope” appears on the dash when you are coasting downhill at a certain slope. This means that the battery is charging
6. Drive in Eco mode.

Comment in this thread with your questions or other tips.
DB45C5E8-7E49-4592-A4CD-9F3F17196625.jpeg
Thanks very much!! This is my first hybrid and it is great to see some advice for newbies.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MavMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
The Maverick Hybrid Motor Generator (or Regen motor) actually charges the battery in 2 ways: when you lift your foot off the accelerator, and when brakes are applied. The technology is the same concept as a PHEV, but without the plug-in.

The eMotor is a new design from Ford similar to that of the Performance/Long Range rear motor on the Tesla Model S and Model 3. (Explanation of concept can be found on YouTube.)

Great time and fun with this hybrid setup, have a Prius V and Sonata Plug-In Hybrid. The Maverick combines the powertrain of both without the plug.
This is a great explanation. Thank you!

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or you can just drive it like you would a normal vehicle and it should still return very good fuel economy by design. I don't like to overthink it. Some people have fun with it, but I'm not into that.

OP
OP

MavMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Or you can just drive it like you would a normal vehicle and it should still return very good fuel economy by design. I don't like to overthink it. Some people have fun with it, but I'm not into that.
I disagree, at least from a financial standpoint. For example, we drove the Prius 236,000 miles. Let’s say we got 3 MPG less over those miles:

236,000 at 47 MPG = 5,021 gallons at $3.50 per gallon is $17,574

236,000 at 44 MPG = 5,363 gallons at $3.50 per gallon is $18,772.

$1,200 just by learning how to drive a Hybrid as it is designed to optimize fuel economy. I’ll choose that every time.

(fuel prices based on what it was and the insane prices today!)

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I disagree, at least from a financial standpoint. For example, we drove the Prius 236,000 miles. Let’s say we got 3 MPG less over those miles:

236,000 at 47 MPG = 5,021 gallons at $3.50 per gallon is $17,574

236,000 at 44 MPG = 5,363 gallons at $3.50 per gallon is $18,772.

$1,200 just by learning how to drive a Hybrid as it is designed to optimize fuel economy. I’ll choose that every time.

(fuel prices based on what it was and the insane prices today!)
I've owned a hybrid. This is not my first rodeo.

Your $1,200 figure was spread over at least 6 years (2015-2021). That's $200 a year. Hardly worth going through any additional trouble, and certainly not worth doing without climate control.

If you want to save REAL money, buy a really cheap car and don't have a car payment. That will likely save you more in 1 month than all of these crazy steps will save you in a year.

OP
OP

MavMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Bought the Prius for $13,000. Insurance gave us $6,800 when it was totaled. $6,200 for 236,000 miles is a win, right?
Plus I saved at least that extra $1,200, so probably closer to $5,000 for 6+ years of driving all those miles!
Sponsored