Amendes

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there a way to tell the hybrid maverick to use more of the battery instead of the ICE engine?

Let's suppose I know a long downgrade lies a few miles ahead. During that downgrade I know my hybrid battery will charge to 100%. Before I get to the downgrade, how should I drive (which modes, which speeds, cruise control, etc.) as to deplete the hybrid battery the most before the downgrade begins?
Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nope. It's entirely under the control of the computer. The battery is tiny anyway.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think trying to interpret the state of charge for any meaningful change in your driving behavior is a foolā€™s errand. I would suggest just concentrating on maximizing the engine-off time per standard hypermiling strategies.

Reactions: bgn

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let off the gas entirely. If it switches to electric only (not a given, and only works of the engine isnā€™t entirely cold soaked), follow the EV Coach screen to remain electric only. Itā€™ll kick the ICE back on as soon as you either fill the EVC box or as needed for heat, etc., though.

Unless youā€™re on a particularly low speed road (~25-35 mph) or already on a slight downhill, you may only be able to do this a mile or two out before your longer, steeper descent. Thatā€™s on a fully charged battery - the hybrid battery is rather small and thus canā€™t go too far without recharging.

Reactions: Egz

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup. The Foot-off-ease-in trick works on Ford hybrids. It may not get you much, but its an easy way to sneak a couple of extra tenths of electric miles.

Learned that from a Ford event where they had a mini hypermile course challenge.
Sponsored