Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This happened on my Super Duty too.

It is always most dramatic on the first stop in the morning after a night of rain when the rain is beaded up on the hood.
Sponsored

mspmms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
'MERICA
Threads
Reaction score
U.S.A. Indianapolis, Indiana (Downtown Indy)
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My experience has been that water collects a lot less if you have a properly waxed truck.

I know because I started the winter like that, and now I'm due for a re-application and I do have a lot more water pooling in the grooves on the hood. When the wax was in better shape (it still beads some, just less) the water moves off quickly even in the grooves so there's nothing to squirt.

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry for the terminology, but this is more of a squirt than a spray since it builds up water in the "performance dent" on either side of the hood, then when you brake that water streams toward the front edge of the hood and then the wind squirts it back on your otherwise clean windshield.

So my question is... do the hood guard/protectors for the front edge of the hood block the blow back "squirt" and allow the water to run off the hood cleanly when braking?
Water is wet ;)

Sponsored

SLJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Maverick doesn't squirt as bad as my Bronco Sport did. That hood held a lot more water.

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry for the terminology, but this is more of a squirt than a spray since it builds up water in the "performance dent" on either side of the hood, then when you brake that water streams toward the front edge of the hood and then the wind squirts it back on your otherwise clean windshield.

So my question is... do the hood guard/protectors for the front edge of the hood block the blow back "squirt" and allow the water to run off the hood cleanly when braking?
In all seriousness, my spouse and I have noticed this issue too (independently on our own). Things that affect it include driving speed, how hard it’s raining, and the amount of stop and go. I would say a good size cup of water, or larger, collects in each “pocket” and just kinda dances around (annoyingly). The biggest issue for us us it’s rather distracting, as this big blob of water seems to take on a life of its own and shouldn’t exist in the first place. Then when slowing down, it runs forward, catches the wind, and all comes splattering back into the windshield.

It got worse for us after applying a ceramic coating, as this causes the water move around and pool even more easily on top the hood. I had attempted to purchase a certain bug shield that curls up, rather than the typical styles that lay tight against the hood, in hopes it would change the odd air vortices. Unfortunately, that particular bug shield got tossed in the trash without being installed, due to it having the same defective manufacturing issues as reported on this very forum.

I am hoping another manufacturer will release a better style bug shield, as I would still like to try and solve this. It is honestly a bit distracting, including at night, as lights flicker off the puddles in weird ways.

ilikebike

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid HPR w/ BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

An object in motion stays in motion. So, when you brake, the water is still going the speed of the truck before the braking since there is little friction between water and truck. As a result, the water moves to the front of the hood until it hits the wind the truck is pushing through, which causes the water to spray back onto the windshield.

I haven't honestly noticed it. If it is raining hard enough to have water collecting on the hood, my windshield is likely getting wet from the rain itself and I don't notice the spray.
Interesting, that makes sense. Thanks.

It's not during heavy rain. Usually when it's after a downpour and it's not raining anymore but the hood is wet, or if it's a light drizzle and it's been long enough for water to collect on the hood. Both cases you've already run the wipers and the windshield is clear. It happens on my truck.

Not a problem, just curious the mechanics behind it. Never happened on any of my other vehicles before.

SiGmA_X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If there is water on the hood it's going to come towards the window under heavy braking, it's just physics. I know some people said that the front edge guard does reduce it somewhat.
Welcome to the internet, there are a lottt of physics deniers out there :p

Sponsored
OP
OP

MavTime

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be a Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sorry, I should have titled it "Hood squirts when braking after a rain." It is usually with water beaded up all over the truck after a rain, and as you drive down the block you run the wiper once and clean the windshield, but then when you stop at the end of the block SQUIRT! I guess I haven't has a car with this flat of a hood, but I really think it is the hood dents that pool up enough water to do it. I am surprised some said that the hood protector didn't help, seems like it would.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry, I should have titled it "Hood squirts when braking after a rain." It is usually with water beaded up all over the truck after a rain, and as you drive down the block you run the wiper once and clean the windshield, but then when you stop at the end of the block SQUIRT! I guess I haven't has a car with this flat of a hood, but I really think it is the hood dents that pool up enough water to do it. I am surprised some said that the hood protector didn't help, seems like it would.
The hood protector is too low to make a different in the air stream. And depending on the amount of water, it would just flow over it.
Sponsored